Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 07:11 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Don't waste another second of your life worrying about this, because they do not get any benefits.
It's in the law. It's called SSI. Perfectly legal and even green card holders qualify. Yes, it sounds crazy but it's no crazier than turning yourself to BP and ask for asylum then let loose in the country never to be seen again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 04:27 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
This doesn't sound right. Oh, I see that you said "new immigrant". see below anyway.

Please read this link I posted earler: https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/spotlights/s...n-citizens.htm

Your link only confirms what I wrote. All you guys need to know is a person can not collect social security, supplemental security income, or social security disability income unless they have paid into the system.

The one exception is if a person can use credits from a spouse.

No reason for you or anyone else to waste another second of your life on this subject.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:00 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
excellent move, Mr. President

Old 06-07-2019, 06:29 AM

24,522 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
It's in the law. It's called SSI. Perfectly legal and even green card holders qualify. Yes, it sounds crazy but it's no crazier than turning yourself to BP and ask for asylum then let loose in the country never to be seen again.
Will you please inform yourself a bit about Green Cards - what does it take to get one and what rights and obligations are tied to retaining it.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:49 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Your link only confirms what I wrote. All you guys need to know is a person can not collect social security, supplemental security income, or social security disability income unless they have paid into the system.

No reason for you or anyone else to waste another second of your life on this subject.
I'm just making the info available to someone else that still doesn't seem to understand.

Old 06-07-2019, 03:25 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:

There are other forms of benefits like using section 8 which should NOT benefit any illegal alien, but in Florida it is known that there are illegal aliens using section 8, which takes away from others.

The system is not handled well.

This morning there was mentioned on TV that TSA let illegals fly without proper ID and verification as legal aliens and citizens have to show.

One person I know is currently going through another application with USCIC which makes the paper notification from USCIS a valid extension to stay here. The person got Pre-Check with Delta and due to the paper notification on top of valid foreign passport, having gone through global security clearance system and being legally here, the person was send to the regular line as TSA said the paper was not ok to use Pre-check even though that was on the boarding pass.

Another TSA agent did ask why he was in the regular line as with pre-check he should not be in that line. It seems TSA doesn't have one set of rules.

For that reason, I believe the story on TV that illegals are traveling per plane with no proper ID as was mentioned on TV.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:51 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...ocial-services

This is about time as nothing seems to be enforced while Americans are paying the bill for people who come here and get a green card and then are a liability.
What the US needs to do is doing away the family reunification policy. Many people come here to become citizens for the purpose of bringing their parents to the US. The old parents come here and don't work and get benefits. It's a huge drain of tax dollars. What do they contribute to this country? Nothing.

Old 06-08-2019, 08:37 PM

7 posts, read 4,549 times
Ok

Last edited by Tylveng; 06-08-2019 at 08:48 PM..

Old 06-08-2019, 08:58 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
So, okay, got my acronyms mixed up. I receive Social Security benefits from the SSA having worked over 40 quarters. Why do people who immigrate here due to “family reunification” and are elderly get almost as much as I do in SSI? Plus, they possibly qualify for food stamps, Medicaid, subsidized housing and Farmers Market vouchers which I don’t get. My Medicare I paid into plus pay the monthly premium. It doesn’t seem right.
They cannot receive any government benefits for five years. After that, yes, they are eligible because they came here LEGALLY, paid A LOT of money to do so, and have abided by all the rules. It's sort of a kind hearted thing to do instead of being mean to them. They are elderly and the five year period is over. So after the five years they could apply for subsidized housing and food stamps.

I don't know how they would get SSI though. That's disability for people under age 65--we are talking about the elderly. They will either continue to be supported by their family or they will live on the pension they earned in their home country. (The pension would be sent over here--actually, that does the US some good because they are spending their money here, not in their former country.)

Old 06-08-2019, 10:12 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
hey could apply for subsidized housing and food stamps.

I don't know how they would get SSI though. That's disability for people under age 65--we are talking about the elderly.
Make that OVER 65, and if you don't know anyone getting SSI you're just not around the right crowd. Every elderly who was brought in to this country that I know of is receiving a check. The whole world knows it. Oh, did I mention Medicaid with $3 deductible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration