Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 10:44 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,287,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
How much is a few?
If you actually follow the law, all these questions have answers. You need a sponsor, i.e. a job offer, to be allowed in as immigrant (non family). You don't have to know what is few and what is a lot. Just go with what is right. Right now people come in with no prospects for a job. This is not to say they won't find work eventually but this is no way to run the country.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:59 PM

4,428 posts, read 5,158,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
If you actually follow the law, all these questions have answers. You need a sponsor, i.e. a job offer, to be allowed in as immigrant (non family). You don't have to know what is few and what is a lot. Just go with what is right. Right now people come in with no prospects for a job. This is not to say they won't find work eventually but this is no way to run the country.
Thanks for the straight spin?

What is right?

They say there are lots of jobs.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:30 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,817,316 times
Quote:
How much is a few?
Less than half of what we allow in now.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:33 AM

4,428 posts, read 5,158,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Less than half of what we allow in now.
I would concur.

We should let in about 1/3 of what we let in now “legally”.
So that would be grand total of 350,000 people annually from ALL sources of in migration. I won’t sit here and be oblivious to the countries “growth” needs, of which many grossly overestimate due to pure and simple greed and disregard.

And honestly the numbers should be allotted equally across the planet, based on country population percentage ratio to total global population, balanced against a particular countries share of foreign born population. That would be fair.

Last edited by UrbanQuest; 07-05-2019 at 08:41 AM..

Old 07-30-2019, 09:34 PM

972 posts, read 543,303 times
As with any country, we have the right to an immigration policy. That means we have the right to set limits for the sake of the nation's economic and security interests.

Just because there are foreigners who want to emigrate to the US but can't because they don't meet the criteria, that doesn't mean the criteria has failed.

Old 08-04-2019, 05:28 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,263,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So I think we need to look this thing square in the eye. Do we want immigrants, or don't we?

And if we DON'T anymore want immigrants flooding to our borders, maybe it's time to put the Statue of Liberty to a vote, and remove it if in fact, we aren't willing to stand by Emma Lazarus' poem, at Lady Liberty's feet:

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

I'd like to hear what redblooded republicans would have to say, about removing the Statue of Liberty. Because as it is, that's horribly hypocritical to leave her, with her burning torch in the harbor welcoming "wretched refuse", and then imprison the immigrants from the south "concentration camp" style.

Which is it. Do we treat immigrants with dignity, or do we remove and return to France the Statue of Liberty because that time where the sentiment was true has passed?
Emma Lazarus wrote that in 1883 to raise money for the pedestal for the statue. It’s very inspirational.

But as of the 1880 census the US had 50 million people, 72% of whom were rural. Aside from CA, OR and TX the land in the west were sparsely populated territories. There was land, opportunity and no government benefits or handouts.

Good or bad, things are different today. We as a country don’t need “huddled masses” to try and grow our population. Skilled migration combined with some humanitarian (and legit) refugees are just fine.

By the way, the Statue of Liberty wasn’t created by France to celebrate immigration. It celebrates the founding of the US (with the date on her tablet) and also the abolition of slavery (broken chains at her feet)

And this is coming from an immigrant to the US.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:10 PM

827 posts, read 661,483 times
Oh boy my buttons have been pushed.....
Want to help curb the ILLEGAL invaders coming to America, here we go...
Build the wall and top it with electrified razor wire. Post an armed Border Patrol with orders to shoot!
We DO NOT need ILLEGAL invaders to work for us.....there are plenty of prisoners sitting in their air conditioned cells, working out in the gym, watching cable tv, all medicl covered and food that the American taxpayer pays for. I am sure they would actually work for the same as an ILLEGAL invader or days off their sentence depending on the crime. The fact is WE DON'T NEED THEM!! There are Veterans and homeless American Citizens that I am sure would do those jobs.
If want to be a traitor to your country and hire ILLEGAL invaders then any employee that turns you in gets $10,000 reward. The employer gets....
1st offence- $10,000 fine 2 week shut down that you will pay your legal employees their regular salary.
2nd offence- $25,000 fine 30 day shut down and you pay your legal employees their salary.
3rd offence- $25,000 fine 30 day shut down that the employer serves in jail while your legal employees still get paid.
We are handing ILLEGAL invaders benefits that American Citizens and our Veterans should have. Our Veterans did not fight for our country so some ILLEGAL invaders could have better pay and benefits than they get!! Please, share in the American dream, I think not, more like live off the American Citizens. I have a dream too, that they all get deported and American Citizens and Veterans get the benefits they deserve.
The family that is deported together stays together!! ICE ICE baby, go get 'em!
And don't even start about how our Great Great Grandparent's were immigrants, yes they were. They came in legally and BUILT this country. They did not expect a hand out. They stood in food lines, not welfare lines. They supported themselves and took care of their families. They assimilated to our laws and traditions and did not get offended by them or try to change them.
If you are so offended.....LEAVE!!
Thank
Reply2

Old 08-09-2019, 04:11 PM

9,299 posts, read 14,916,355 times
Quote:
It is constantly pounded into the American psyche. “We are a nation of immigrants”. Though that message has been modified to include “we must import lots of immigrants”.
I think this is absolutely true. The meme in the US is that immigration should continue forever. Why?Because we are "a nation of immigrants" and because we once needed immigrants.

The point the OP is making is that this should be revised into a more sensible policy than the ones we are dealing with now.

Old 08-10-2019, 06:41 AM

827 posts, read 661,483 times
I too see the anger and hatred. I also see frustration and concern for our citizens, our children, the future of America, and the apathy of so many of our citizens in regards to the laws of our country. Immigration was always respected by our citizens and those that lawfully immigrated were welcomed into this melting pot called America. Those who are crossing borders illegally are not welcomed, in my opinion and judgement, due to their contempt for our laws and procedures. Unlike our lawful immigrants who are admired, welcomed, and celebrated, these "illegals" hide in the shadows. To me, it seems illegals want to use our country and all of it's tangible and intangible wealth without contributing their own self worth towards our process. What kind of mayhem can we Americans expect if we had open borders? It appears to me that so many of the supporters of open borders are like children in their naievity...starry eyed wonder and awe at the vision of all of us living in peace in harmony. When the illegal immigrants begin with respect for our laws by abiding by our immigration laws I will welcome them. From the beginning of this debacle I have wondered how supporters of this activity would feel if people walked in and claimed the supporters home as their own. America is my home

Old 08-11-2019, 08:13 PM

732 posts, read 391,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post

Legacy Americans.
lol. I'm going to have to steal that phrase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration