Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 05:15 PM

5,364 posts, read 5,145,684 times

Advertisements

I believe that when selecting immigrants to come to the United States, immigrants from other North American countries should get preferred status over immigrants from other continents. My reasoning is as follows:

1. It breaks up families less. It's much easier for immigrants from North America to go back home and visit families or have families come and visit compared having to travel across the world
2. Our largest trading partners relatively are our closest countries. Remittances sent back home would be more likely to circle back to our economy.
3. Consistency in culture and demographics. Immigrants from North America aren't religious extremists, speak Spanish and English, and are familiar with US culture. It's easier on the immigrant and on the US when there's less culture shock and assimilation is faster.

Embedded in this reasoning is a deviation from the "best and brightest" towards a model of come if there's a job for you here and you have a clean record. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 06:27 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,818,522 times
I'm pretty sure the entire world is familiar with US culture. It's portrayed all over television. Majority of the world speaks either English or Spanish... and more and more.

Old 08-12-2020, 08:54 AM

5,364 posts, read 5,145,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I'm pretty sure the entire world is familiar with US culture. It's portrayed all over television. Majority of the world speaks either English or Spanish... and more and more.
They are familiar with it, but Central America and the Caribbean is closer to living it than most places around the globe I'd think.

Old 08-15-2020, 03:35 PM

932 posts, read 544,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I believe that when selecting immigrants to come to the United States, immigrants from other North American countries should get preferred status over immigrants from other continents. My reasoning is as follows:

1. It breaks up families less. It's much easier for immigrants from North America to go back home and visit families or have families come and visit compared having to travel across the world
2. Our largest trading partners relatively are our closest countries. Remittances sent back home would be more likely to circle back to our economy.
3. Consistency in culture and demographics. Immigrants from North America aren't religious extremists, speak Spanish and English, and are familiar with US culture. It's easier on the immigrant and on the US when there's less culture shock and assimilation is faster.

Embedded in this reasoning is a deviation from the "best and brightest" towards a model of come if there's a job for you here and you have a clean record. Thoughts?
This means that you want to remain in your comfort zone.
Would be detrimental for the development of United States.

Old 08-18-2020, 03:28 PM

22,482 posts, read 12,018,893 times
Quote:

We have been flooded with millions of illegal aliens from Mexico and Central America. For the most part, they are functionally illiterate in both Spanish and English. Many of them who come here don't learn English. Thus their children who are born here go to school not knowing a word of English plus the Spanish they do know is atrocious. IOW, they have been a drain on this country. Plus, they don't assimilate well at all.

OTOH, if you are talking about highly educated legal immigrants from those areas they are already bilingual and are focused on making sure their children get a good education. Immigrants from this group tend to assimilate very well.

Old 08-18-2020, 03:36 PM

130,511 posts, read 12,138,084 times
By North Americans, do you mean Canadians?

Old 08-18-2020, 04:50 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,195,010 times
Same thought....Other North American countries. Last I checked there are two, USA and Canada. So OP why don't you just say Canada?

Old 08-18-2020, 06:33 PM

22,482 posts, read 12,018,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Same thought....Other North American countries. Last I checked there are two, USA and Canada. So OP why don't you just say Canada?
Nope. North American consists of Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, Greenland and Central America.

https://www.britannica.com/place/North-America

Old 08-18-2020, 09:51 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,195,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Nope. North American consists of Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, Greenland and Central America.

https://www.britannica.com/place/North-America
Oh my. My bad. I apologize. I guess I need to study some geography.....feel dumb today!! Duh.

Old 08-19-2020, 01:14 PM

34,100 posts, read 83,032,310 times
Quote:
I believe that when selecting immigrants to come to the United States,
immigrants from other North American countries should get preferred status
over immigrants from other continents. ... Thoughts?
Nope. Proximity to the border should NOT be a factor at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration