Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 03:44 PM

306 posts, read 203,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot001 View Post
For most of the foreign immigrants, it's a very big deal. Last month, there's even a ceremony held in NYC hosted by NBC and George Bush.
That's very true. I did mine last year. I'm from London originally. I've been in the US for 14 years, and didn't really feel the need to become a USC, but then we had kids and thought I should do it. But there were some people there who obviously had dreamt of the moment for years, who probably came from difficult backgrounds etc. I think it's down to relative economic privilege. My quality of life between the UK and USA is pretty similar, if anything I'd say it's better back there, but generally speaking it's comparable. I moved here through chance, and my life is here now, but it was never part of any plan. Seeing what it meant to other people definitely made me appreciate it more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2021, 08:07 AM

507 posts, read 277,421 times
^ When I attended the class preparing for citizenship test, there were attendees from ALL OVER THE WORLD. China, India, Russia, Philippine, Mexico, etc. And some of them are old folks, above 60. People don't want to miss this ONCE-IN-A-LIFETIME opportunity.

I also got it after 14 yrs. I found 14 yrs seemed like an average period of time it took to become a citizen b/c I've seen some other cases.

Last edited by shoot001; 06-22-2021 at 09:16 AM..

Old 06-22-2021, 09:06 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot001 View Post
^ When I attended the class preparing for citizenship test, there were attendees from ALL OVER THE WORLD. China, India, Russia, Philippine, Mexico, etc. And some of them are old folks, above 60. People don't want to miss this ONCE-IN-A-LIFETIME opportunity.
When I attended as a guest it was a very special occasion with joy, laughter, tears of joy, etc. Memorable ceremony.

But that was pre-covid. Hopefully that will come back.

Old 06-22-2021, 09:59 AM

^ Yeah, I know many Chinese burst into tears at the ceremony. It's such a huge change to their lives.

Old 06-24-2021, 05:50 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,451,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
In Tampa there was no family allowed to attend. No pictures allowed to be made inside the USCIS facility. The oath was only said by the presenter and the attendees were told they didn’t have to repeat it.
Ten days ago "thirty immigrants took the Oath of Allegiance to become United States citizens during a naturalization ceremony inside the visitors center at the Gateway Arch in St. Louis." If you look at the pictures, it appears that family and/or friends were in attendance.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/multim...2abfa53.html#2

Old 07-06-2021, 02:25 PM

I heard from the immigration preparation class that it was such a big deal to many people that they even changed their legal names. Millions of people are in the line right now. My local office extends the processing time once again. USA is on top of the world.

Old 07-07-2021, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baycurious123 View Post
That's very true. I did mine last year. I'm from London originally. I've been in the US for 14 years, and didn't really feel the need to become a USC, but then we had kids and thought I should do it. But there were some people there who obviously had dreamt of the moment for years, who probably came from difficult backgrounds etc. I think it's down to relative economic privilege. My quality of life between the UK and USA is pretty similar, if anything I'd say it's better back there, but generally speaking it's comparable. I moved here through chance, and my life is here now, but it was never part of any plan. Seeing what it meant to other people definitely made me appreciate it more.
I'm from China, from Beijing. So the living quality is honestly speaking at about the similar level. But it's just much much closer to the power source of the world. Here's like the center of the world.

Old 07-07-2021, 03:52 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Ten days ago "thirty immigrants took the Oath of Allegiance to become United States citizens during a naturalization ceremony inside the visitors center at the Gateway Arch in St. Louis." If you look at the pictures, it appears that family and/or friends were in attendance.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/multim...2abfa53.html#2
Maybe it is opening up but not in April in Tampa while Florida was more open than closed. With the person who held the oath ceremony even wearing gloves was over the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration