Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 03:48 PM

3 posts, read 45,237 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if anyone knows about crossing the border from Canada to the USA with a pending charge.He has no criminal record at all but my boyfriend was charged with possesion of a weapon. He doesnt go to court for 12 months. Will he still be allowed in before hes found innocent or guilty on the charges? Is he innocent until proven guilty? He has been to the USA dozens of times before this. Will it not show until hes actually convicted? I appreciate your responses. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 04:26 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times
It depends on his status. What US visa he has? How did he leave the US in the last time?
He is considered innocent until trial, but might be banned from leaving the US (they might take his passport away) until then. If found that he entered or exited the US illegally, he might be incarcerated until his trial.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:37 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,349,657 times
I do not think your boyfriend would have a problem with customs insofar as getting admitted back to the U.S. after traveling to Canada. The bigger issue he needs to be aware of is that he would likely have to clear this travel with the probation officer or pretrial services officer who is monitoring his whereabouts while he is out on bond. Failure to clear the travel could result in his bond being revoked. Also, he needs to know that ther is a possibility his "travel" could become evidence at trial in certain circumstances. Not sure how it might come into play, but it could.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:39 PM

3 posts, read 45,237 times
He is Canadian and has a Canadian Passport. We always fly so port of entry is the airport. This charge was in Canada not the US. We are wondering if this will show next time at customs when we are at the airport and will create a problem,. Thanks for the info

Old 03-18-2010, 09:11 AM

2 posts, read 40,801 times
Hi I hope you have figured out a good solution to your question. Maybe you can help answer this one too.

I was charged with assault (fight) in 1999 but not convicted of anything, community service only, no records. I got a pardon in 2005. I think since then I've had one speeding ticket, and even it got thrown out.

Unfortunately since I crossed into US between those times that arrest is in the INS database and sometimes I get hassled and it is embarassing when I have family in the car.

Is there any way to contact the INS and tell them about the pardon. This is a problem. I'm not going to get involved in anything criminal.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:50 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Get a copy of the Pardon and carry it with you when you cross into the US. When/if the issue comes up, you will have a copy right there. I doubt you will convince the INS to change their database.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:46 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Get a copy of the Pardon and carry it with you when you cross into the US. When/if the issue comes up, you will have a copy right there. I doubt you will convince the INS to change their database.
I disagree. Government databases can absolutely be updated to reflect your current status but you just have to fly through hoops to get it done. INS is now USCIS and there's a link to their website in the first "sticky" top of this forum page.

Contact them and ask them what you need to provide them to update their database to reflect this status change. You'll probably have to provide them with a certified copy of the pardon but it's no biggie. Good luck!

Old 03-20-2010, 04:55 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonK View Post
Hi I hope you have figured out a good solution to your question. Maybe you can help answer this one too.

I was charged with assault (fight) in 1999 but not convicted of anything, community service only, no records. I got a pardon in 2005. I think since then I've had one speeding ticket, and even it got thrown out.

Unfortunately since I crossed into US between those times that arrest is in the INS database and sometimes I get hassled and it is embarassing when I have family in the car.

Is there any way to contact the INS and tell them about the pardon. This is a problem. I'm not going to get involved in anything criminal.
Yep you haven't filed to have the conviction removed. If you were sentenced to communtiy service its was deferred ajudications likely if it can be removed. Otherwise the conviction stays as far as records go but will show pardon if recorded.You don't get a pardon without a conviction because pardon are forgiveness for a crime in law without the courts do the forgiveness but by executive orderof a governor or president.If you were given Unajudicated probation with community service;its upto yopu to file to have the record removed once you have completed the probation requirements.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:06 AM

24,538 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonK View Post

You may not have been conviced of assault but you did community service. It took a judge to do so. Your sentence is only part of the equation. Unless there is something you did not share with us you have been convicted.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:18 PM

2 posts, read 40,801 times
There was no conviction.

The community service resulted in the judgement being set aside, or removed, or some other term that I can't remember now, but there's *no record*. I have documents with those words on them.

I even had it searched by local police, and there isn't any criminal record. Fingerprints and photos have been destroyed in a file destruction, which is not a pardon (a pardon needs a conviction). I believe those specific words limit the RCMP to saying there is no record of those things - there might still be a record of the arrest, but I don't know for sure. It is definitely worth looking into.

Does that answer your question? Now do you believe me?

I looked around this UCIS website and didn't find who to contact for this removal. I'll still look of course, but if you know what sectin to look under that would so very much be appreciated - you've pointed me in the right direction already for which I have to thank you. Do you think it could help to contact or visit the US consulate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration