Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 11:06 PM

740 posts, read 1,973,416 times

Advertisements

Hello. My father was born in Canada, mother born in the US. I was born in the US. The majority of my family is Canadian and I would like to move there. My father never became a US citizen and just had his green card. I recently heard that they passed a law in Canada that should allow me to get my dual citizenship. Any information would be appreciated. Oh, i have like 8 relatives in the US, and like 500+ in Canada and I would love to get to know the majority of my family better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 11:44 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,757,602 times
Dual citizenship has always been allowed. My wife is triple citizen (USA, Canada, Jamaica) and my 2 step children are dual US Canada citizens. If your father's name is on your birth certificate then you are a Canadian citizen. You just have to fill out the paperwork and get your card.

birth in Canada (except in cases where parents are diplomats of a foreign nation)
* birth overseas to a CanUnder the 1977 legislation, Canadian citizenship is acquired by:

*adian parent
* naturalization (grant) after three years residence in Canada
* notification in the case of a woman who lost British subject status by marriage before 1947
* registration in some cases of persons born outside Canada to a Canadian citizen before 15 February 1977 (these provisions were terminated on 14 August 2004).

Canadian citizens are in general no longer subject to involuntary loss of citizenship, barring revocation on the grounds of citizenship or immigration fraud.

The one exception is section 8 of the Citizenship Act which applies to Canadians born outside Canada to a Canadian parent who also acquired Canadian citizenship by birth outside to a Canadian parent. Such persons lose Canadian citizenship at age 28 unless they have established specific ties to Canada and applied to retain Canadian citizenship.

Children born outside Canada to naturalized Canadian citizens are not subject to the section 8 provisions. Nor is anyone born before 15 February 1977.[3]

Old 01-21-2010, 12:58 AM

740 posts, read 1,973,416 times
That's pretty much what I thought, thanks for the info.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:12 PM

1 posts, read 12,074 times
If a Canadian has a green card for employment in the United States can his spouse obtain a green card

Old 03-21-2011, 10:18 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,956,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljgill View Post
If a Canadian has a green card for employment in the United States can his spouse obtain a green card
According to the latest Visa Bulletin - the US gov't is currently processing applications made in 2007 for the F2A category - so if you apply now you can expect a 4 year wait.

F2A= Spouses and Children, and Unmarried Sons and Daughters of Permanent Residents

Visa Bulletin For April 2011

A green card means that you have been granted legal Permanent Residency in the USA. You don't get the green card until you move to the US. If you (or spouse) has a green card and have moved back to Canada then you risk losing that green card/Permanent Resident status if you stay out of the US for an extended period.

Last edited by Gary Siete; 03-21-2011 at 10:35 PM..

Old 04-03-2012, 06:27 PM

1 posts, read 10,345 times
My Dad was born in the US moved to Canada when he was young. He got his Canadian citizenship, never renounced his US citizenship. We have his birth certificate from Albany New York. My brothers & I would like dual citizenship. How do we go about doing this? Where do we apply? I would appreciate any help. Thanks

Old 04-04-2012, 11:06 AM

24,508 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperMom View Post
My Dad was born in the US moved to Canada when he was young. He got his Canadian citizenship, never renounced his US citizenship. We have his birth certificate from Albany New York. My brothers & I would like dual citizenship. How do we go about doing this? Where do we apply? I would appreciate any help. Thanks
http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86757.pdf

He must have resided in the US for a specific number of years. You can read up on all the specifics. Generally rule of thumb is five years and two of them after the 14th birthday.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:43 AM

2 posts, read 17,146 times
My husband is a Canadian citizen that was naturalized in the US in 1990. I was born and raised in Johnstown, PA. My son was born in 1994 and will be playing hockey in British Columbia in August of this year where my husband was born and raised. He will be living with my husband's brother and wants to become a dual citizen of Canada. Can he do this and how do we go about doing this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Dual citizenship has always been allowed. My wife is triple citizen (USA, Canada, Jamaica) and my 2 step children are dual US Canada citizens. If your father's name is on your birth certificate then you are a Canadian citizen. You just have to fill out the paperwork and get your card.

birth in Canada (except in cases where parents are diplomats of a foreign nation)
* birth overseas to a CanUnder the 1977 legislation, Canadian citizenship is acquired by:

*adian parent
* naturalization (grant) after three years residence in Canada
* notification in the case of a woman who lost British subject status by marriage before 1947
* registration in some cases of persons born outside Canada to a Canadian citizen before 15 February 1977 (these provisions were terminated on 14 August 2004).

Canadian citizens are in general no longer subject to involuntary loss of citizenship, barring revocation on the grounds of citizenship or immigration fraud.

The one exception is section 8 of the Citizenship Act which applies to Canadians born outside Canada to a Canadian parent who also acquired Canadian citizenship by birth outside to a Canadian parent. Such persons lose Canadian citizenship at age 28 unless they have established specific ties to Canada and applied to retain Canadian citizenship.

Children born outside Canada to naturalized Canadian citizens are not subject to the section 8 provisions. Nor is anyone born before 15 February 1977.[3]

Old 07-03-2013, 10:27 AM

2 posts, read 17,146 times
My husband is a Canadian citizen that was naturalized in the US in 1990. I was born and raised in Johnstown, PA. My son was born in 1994 and will be playing hockey in British Columbia in August of this year where my husband was born and raised. He will be living with my husband's brother and wants to become a dual citizen of Canada. Can he do this and how do we go about doing this?

Old 11-24-2013, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 7,857 times
I am a us citizen and want to marry a girl from Canada who has dual citizenship, Canadian and Jamician. She would like to also become a US citizen ann reside with me here in the US. Is this possible, and if so how does one go about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration