Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2010, 09:16 PM

113 posts, read 550,151 times

Advertisements

I've been to Ocean City NJ (in the fall)
But what beaches are good to visit for a day trip?
Looking for clean and kid-friendly.
We are going for the sand and water -- don't care about rides and food and such.

Any suggestions? I'd appreciate it! I'd love to take the kids before school starts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 09:48 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,556,943 times
Although I'm not familiar with it, a lot of people from this area seem to go to Long Beach Island. I'm more familiar with south Jersey and Delaware beaches, but they're further away.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:13 AM

9 posts, read 28,870 times
I haven't lived in the LV for years, but back when I did, my favorite "day-trip" beach was Sandy Hook (part of the Gateway National Recreation Area). It's almost directly due-East from the Valley. You take 78 to 287 South, get on the GSP south around Perth Amboy. I can't remember the exact exit off the Parkway, but it's not too far. It's got sand, waves, all the basic amenities, and best of all it's quiet and (as far as I know) the closest beach to the LV. With no traffic, you might be able to make it in under 2 hrs. from what I recall.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:08 AM

113 posts, read 550,151 times
Thanks. The Sandy Hook beach when I googled it had stuff about "clothing optional" beaches. Is that area easy to avoid?

Is traffic on a Friday going to be killer? I was thinking of taking them tomorrow...

Old 08-19-2010, 11:53 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,556,943 times
Friday going to a beach? Yes traffic will be really bad. I've gotten around beach traffic (my folks live in South Jersey) by leaving at 5 am, but if you leave any time after 7 am you will be in the thick of it at some point, IMHO.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:53 AM

9 posts, read 28,870 times
I'd say that if you wait out the morning rush hour, you shouldn't have any problems GETTING there, however depending on how long you decide to stay, getting back home in the afternoon might be be a bit of an excercise in patience, especially on a Friday. Again, I haven't lived in the area for years, so maybe someone else might want to chime in re: the traffic situation.

As for the "clothing optional" parts, I seem to remember a rumor that if you went all the way to the north end of the "hook," there were some nude beaches up that way. I never saw it for myself, and from what I recall most of the more popular stretches of the beach were on the south end anyhow. You should be fine.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:50 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,942,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austere View Post
Thanks. The Sandy Hook beach when I googled it had stuff about "clothing optional" beaches. Is that area easy to avoid?

Is traffic on a Friday going to be killer? I was thinking of taking them tomorrow...
The only clothing optional area is called Gunnison beach. It's always been really nice when I've gone there, nothing to worry about. There are large signs on the beach to "warn" you before you'd get too close.

The rest of the island is lovely, lots of flat, wide roads for walking & cycling, a light house, etc. If you are going on a weekend, you have to get there super-early because it will get full to capacity and close.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:03 PM

148 posts, read 539,151 times
Bradley Beach is really nice. Long Beach Island is nice too, but a little further away.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:56 PM

86 posts, read 192,564 times
For a day trip from the Valley, Sandy Hook and Bradley Beach. Bradley Beach is easy parking and a nice family type beach. Leave early like 6/7 a.m. And then if you head home anytime after 1:00, expect traffic. But enjoy the day there and spend the day, and just know that traffic is just part of life.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:34 AM

124 posts, read 342,419 times
I am from the Jersey Shore and can give you whatever info you need on beaches you are interested in....I grew up 10 minutes from Sandy Hook and owned a home for 5 years that was 10 mintues from Bradley Beach. If you take exit 117 off the parkway, stay left at the fork after the toll, following signs to Rt 36 (not 35, which is to the right). This hwy will take you straight into Sandy Hook.....It's about 15 miles or so, 20 minutes. Once over the bridge, stay right following signs for Sandy Hook. If you continue straight on hwy 36 (which then turns into Ocean Ave) you are in Sea Bright....great public beach (my sister lives there). Next is Monmouth Beach, Long Branch, Deal, then Asbury Park (which is making a great comeback! - go to eat at Stella's, one of my fav restaurants - delicious sangria and food is amazing).

If you are looking for something with a boardwalk - head further south on pkwy to Ex 98....Follow signs to Belmar, Avon, Bradley beach, Sea Girt - all very nice. Belmar has a few restaurants and shops on the boardwalk.

Point Pleasant - my personal favorite but a bit difficult to get to from pkway - is also ex 98...follow signs. Jenkinson's Boardwalk - rides, minigolf, aquarium. Great for kids but alot nicer than Seaside, NJ.

Hope this helps!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley