Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2010, 06:24 AM

2 posts, read 5,332 times

Advertisements

My husband is being relocated for 3-6 months and we will be moving to Allentown at the beginning of December. Being from Chicago, we have no clue where to begin We are almost 30, we have dogs and cats and we want a nice safe neighborhood where I can walk my dogs at night alone and feel safe. We have no kids and no plans for them so school districts mean nothing to us. I've been hearing about this West End neighborhood and it sounds great but what other areas are good? Near downtown would be terrific. any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
-Allison from Chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 07:04 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Don't move to center city Allentown, it's fairly dangerous. I would suggest that you peruse this forum a little and perhaps fill out the sticky at the top so we can have a better idea of your interests and price range. I don't mean to be rude, but wanting a safe walkable neighborhood doesn't really narrow it down too much.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:24 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,139,299 times
Coming from Chicago, CC Allentown is manageable. I am sure you were exposed to the criminal, thug enviroment in Chicago and you will see it in Allentown. The difference is people in Allentown are wannabees and a veteran of a true metropolis like Chicago should be able to handle Allenswamp handily.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:30 AM

50 posts, read 197,717 times
west end is really nice, i grew up there. but there's really not much worthwhile in downtown allentown, it's not that kind of a place. bethlehem has a pretty nice downtown. you may want to look into the north side of bethlehem.
but yeah, if you're from chicago you shouldn't have any trouble in the valley.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:45 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Have either of you been to Chicago? I've visited several times, including a week snow-in a few years ago. It's not a bit like Allentown and there is no advantage to live there if the object is :
Quote:
we want a nice safe neighborhood where I can walk my dogs at night alone and feel safe

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:03 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,111,972 times
Just move to north or west Bethlehem and have your husband drive the 10-15 minutes into Allentown each day.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:21 AM

9 posts, read 28,817 times
Allison:

I grew up in the LV but have lived in the city of Chicago for over a decade. Trust me when I say that you don't want to live anywhere near downtown Allentown (the west end is nice though). Regardless of what some of the other posters are saying, it doesn't matter where you are from or what they think you may be "used to." That all goes out the window when there is a gun in your face, which isn't all that unlikely if you're going to be living in/near downtown Allentown.

If you want a safe, walkable downtown, by all means, check out downtown Bethlehem, or the north or near west side of Bethlehem. Bethlehem is a great city, and if you're used to Chicago commutes, the drive to Allentown will seem like nothing to you. Feel free to PM me if you want more details from someone who has lived in both places. Hope you enjoy the Valley!

Last edited by chiflyguy; 10-13-2010 at 06:53 AM..

Old 10-18-2010, 07:11 AM

2 posts, read 5,332 times
Thanks for all the input. Sounds like I should stay away from downtown Allentown. Hopefully I can visit before moving and check out the hoods myself. I appreciate everyone taking some time to help me out!

Old 10-23-2010, 08:03 PM

14 posts, read 44,119 times
You could check out coldwater crossing i live there (single family homes) but we also have brand new condos from the low 140s, only about 10 mins from allentown, and minimal traffic.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-23-2010 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: Link removed

Old 10-29-2010, 06:40 PM

3 posts, read 6,281 times
allison, i was born and raised in chicago and lived in several suburbs before moving to macungie 9 1/2 yrs ago. my husband and i really love macungie. it is quiet though. we love that we can live in such a quiet, peaceful, safe town and walk to the post office, grocery store and drug store etc. let me know if i can help with any questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley