Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 08:08 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,255,842 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning on moving to the Lehigh Valley area in about a year. We've been living in So. California for 30 years, but are originally from NY and NJ.

Growing up in NY, I was able to go to Italian bakeries for Italian bread and pastries, to Italian markets that specialized in raviolis and such, and to other stores that specialized in Italian foodstuffs.

Are there any of those types of stores in the Allentown, Bethlehem, etc. areas? I would love to be able to buy those types of items again. Here in So. California, there is nothing like that at all. Whatever we need, we get in the supermarkets, and they don't carry any of those Italian specialty items.

If you know of any such places, please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 08:58 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Wegmans http://www.wegmans.com/about/storeLocator/display.asp?store_nbr=79 (broken link) will have a lot of Italian specialy things but there's at least one real Italian Market near the Lehigh Valley Mall. I have gotten sheet music next door to it, I'll see if I can find the name. I think there's also a place in the Allentown farmers market. We don't have a Trader Joe's (gasp!) or a Costco but I think Wegman's has a little bit of everything. It has an excellent bakery too.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:05 PM

Thanks so much for the info. If you have more info, don't hesitate to tell me. I am looking forward to going to Wegman's. We don't have that store here. We do have Trader Joe's, which I love, but they don't really have Italian specialty items.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:48 PM

64 posts, read 276,103 times
Check mapquest! Amazing what you'll find.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 6,196 times
their is a deli in Emmaus pa. its called BELLA G,S. they make everything on premise . they make italian style sausage fresh mozzerella all prepared foods .THE BEST CANOLI,S YOU EVER TASTED AND TIRAMISU.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 6,187 times
Default Italian Deli in LV

I'd stay away from "Wegmans" if you want real Italian foods. Their prepared foods (Italian and others too) are good for those who don't know any better - but like to pretend that they do, and like to pay more for for the honor of getting glop.

I fully agree with the guy/gal who mentioned "Bella G's" in Emmaus as now being the best Italian Deli in the entire Lehigh Valley. It's like a pork store back in Brooklyn or Staten Island, and the cannolis are better than any I've had anywhere else. Not to sound like a commercial, but they make most of their foods right there, and what they don't they get from NY, Philly, or Italy. And they're priced pretty good too.

Then there is "Mo's Pasta Deli" in the Fairgrounds Farmers Market, but it isn't even really worth mentioning. It was originally called Giovanni's and was owned by the family that now has "Bella G's", but they sold this place about 10 years ago and it's been all downhill from there.

There is also "Stravino's" in Whitehall, but they don't make their own deli items and most of what they carry is dry pasta and canned tomatoes. And lastly there is "Giacomo's" on College Hill in Easton, but it is run by the kids of the original Giacomo (whose store was on the other side of town), and it's really nothing more than a sandwich store.

And no - you won't find a decent pizza anywhere until you go into NJ.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:36 PM

Hey Jonroe, thanks for the info. I'm surprised to see that someone actually answered me after three years - LOL.

I know I posted at that time that we would be moving to the Lehigh Valley in about a year, but we're still here in So. Calif. However, we actually finally put our house up for sale about a month ago, so hopefully it happens soon.

Thanks again, and if anyone else knows of any Italian markets, I'd love to know of them.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:24 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,110,311 times
Saylor's & Co. in Hellertown isn't a 100% Italian market, but they do have a lot of Italian specialties and meats.

Other than Bella G's, the area is pretty weak on Italian markets/delis.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:55 PM

995 posts, read 2,727,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMEAC View Post

I fully agree with the guy/gal who mentioned "Bella G's" in Emmaus as now being the best Italian Deli in the entire Lehigh Valley. It's like a pork store back in Brooklyn or Staten Island, and the cannolis are better than any I've had anywhere else. Not to sound like a commercial, but they make most of their foods right there, and what they don't they get from NY, Philly, or Italy. And they're priced pretty good too.
Do they make fresh mozzarella cheese and Italian bread? Probably the two things I miss, not living in Brooklyn. Where are they located?

Old 11-28-2010, 05:50 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Here's a link Bella G's Italian Specialties & Catering - Menu

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley