Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 07:41 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,257,915 times

Advertisements

Hey Folks, I know I started talking about moving to the Lehigh Valley about 3 or 4 years ago, but now it's finally happening. We sold our house at the end of January, so we will moving in about two weeks. It's going to be bittersweet since we are moving to PA to help out our elderly mothers, but we will be leaving our two sons behind. Even though they are 26 and 30 years old, they are still my kids and will always to my kids. I will miss them terribly, but they will be OK and so will I.

Both my mother and mother-in-law are having health problems now, so at least we will be there to help them in any way we can. Wish us luck with starting this new part of our lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 11:28 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,366 times
Good Luck with your move, and I hope you enjoy living in The Lehigh Valley.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:25 PM

Thanks so much Native. We will be staying with my mother-in-law for awhile. She's having health problems right now, so it will help her with us being right there.

My husband and I grew up in NJ and NY, respectively, but it's been 35 years since we moved to Southern California, so it will be quite an adjustment, I'm sure. Thanks again.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:20 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Bring your layers! We still have another month of cold weather. I hope your move goes smoothly.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:32 PM

Thanks toobusy. I think we're somewhat ready for the weather. We're hoping that at least the worst of the winter weather is over.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:46 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,511 times
Hi Rosanne, I'm in SOCAL but I remember visiting Allentown back in 2001. I remember the place being very beautiful and quite serene. I hope you will enjoy the time you all have with your loved ones there. Allentown is (or was when I visited) a very nice place. There was a little diner that served the best chicken and rice soup known to mankind...ok..well..to me!!!

Old 03-05-2011, 05:14 PM

Default Question About Movers

Hey folks, we'll be moving on Tuesday. The movers will come and load our belongings onto the van, then drive to PA. We will then fly to PA on Wednesday. It's been so long since we've had movers, do most people tip the moving guys, and if so, is it done on both ends of the move (i.e. here in CA and then again in PA)? There will be only one guy that will be present both here in CA and then in PA (the driver of the van). The rest of the guys will be different in each location. What do most people do? Thanks much.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:24 PM

Oops forgot to ask - if one does tip, how much is the customary amount of the tip?

Old 03-05-2011, 05:37 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosanne View Post
Hey folks, we'll be moving on Tuesday. The movers will come and load our belongings onto the van, then drive to PA. We will then fly to PA on Wednesday. It's been so long since we've had movers, do most people tip the moving guys, and if so, is it done on both ends of the move (i.e. here in CA and then again in PA)? There will be only one guy that will be present both here in CA and then in PA (the driver of the van). The rest of the guys will be different in each location. What do most people do? Thanks much.

I used work as a mover. You tip on both ends. It really depends on how much stuff you have, and how long the guys are working for. If they are spending 5 hours or less 20 bucks a guy would do. If they are spending all day, 30-50 bucks a guy is what people generally gave.

Last edited by GiantRutgersfan; 03-07-2011 at 10:40 PM..

Old 03-06-2011, 01:42 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosanne View Post
Oops forgot to ask - if one does tip, how much is the customary amount of the tip?
We had two guys who moved us from the lehigh valley to NEPA. they were with us all day. We bought them lunch and gave them 30.00 each for a tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley