Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 08:04 AM

13 posts, read 16,230 times

Advertisements

Possibly relocating to the area in the coming months from the Houston area. Would be working in Allentown, but open to living anywhere within a 40-50 mile radius.

3 small, school aged kids so very interested in school quality.

If you have relocated (or have been there for a while) and could pick one area out of that large radius, where would it be and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 08:15 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
dkm, I suggest that you fill out the sticky at the top of the page a read the forum a bit. Anyone that has kids and is thinking of moving here wants good schools and a nice community, so picking out some priorities would be helpful to local residents giving you advice.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:23 AM

thanks...

When are you moving? Summer 2011
Where are you coming from? Houston, TX
Why are you moving? Job
Where will you be working? Downtown Allentown
Have you been here yet? Yes, very briefly

Will you buy or rent? Buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? Up to $400K

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married, 3 children
Do you prefer public or private schools? Not sure yet
Do you have pets? Yes, 1 dog
Do you want or need a yard? Yes
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? More towards the calm and quiet side

What do you want to be closest to? Good schools and shopping

Old 04-12-2011, 10:13 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,264,415 times
We relocated to the area 3 years ago. After a long search, we decided on Lower Macungie (east Penn School District). We have 3 kids - 2 are at Willow Lane Elementary (new school just opened this year!) and the other one is in preschool. Very happy with the schools.

This area is really great! Lots of transplants, so it was very easy to meet people and make friends.

Given your budget, there are many developments for you to pick from. We are in Graymoor (Pulte), but I feel like any of the developments off of Sauerkraut Lane are very nice.

I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have.

Good luck!

Old 04-12-2011, 07:45 PM

I agree with KristyLiz, with your price range you can look in any area surrounding Allentown. There are very good schools here and you'll want to compare the scores with the sites mentioned in the fist post on this forum. Lower Macungie (East Penn School district) is the fastest growing area in the state so you'll find lots of new people there, along with good schools.Lower Macungie Township, Lehigh County, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I live in Southern Lehigh School district and if you want a smaller, but very good, district you should look at Center Valley or Coopersburg. We wanted smaller schools and chose Southern Lehigh to get that. But since you are from Texas, you might want bigger! Parkland is also a very good school district. All three are within easy commuting distance to Allentown.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:41 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,140,200 times
Aside from ppl i can't imagine what job you would be working at in downtown Allenswamp. Brace yourself. Things are getting better, but overall you are entering a warzone. Live in Bethlehem.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:28 AM

649 posts, read 1,132,809 times
is it that bad now?? I thought they built another office bldg across from PPL, and created some kind of night club district

Old 04-15-2011, 07:51 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,140,200 times
improvements have been made. It is not like the late 90's and early 2000s. Brewworks is a great spot. Trendy types will come out and have a good time there. This is an option that previously did not exist. And, I have to grudgingly give Crocodile Rock credit. They mostly book awful hair bands, emo, and rap junk but still it is something. Getting back to the Brewworks, next week the hipsters of Bethlehem and other nearby areas will descend upon the Brewworks for Brother JT and Wet. Brother JT features Messianic songwriter John Terlesky. JT is a Lehigh Valley native and sadly not many people are aware this man is one of the most important figures in the last 25 years of rock and roll history! Revered in music circles across the country, but ignored in his own back yard.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:58 PM

What is the opinion of Quakertown? Just from looking at school rankings, it seems that it ranks higher than either east penn or parkland.

I see it's about 20 miles from allentown, which is fine by me. That would be considered a short commute where we're coming from.

I'd be interested to hear everyone's thoughts on Quakertown and how it compares to the areas around Allentown. Thanks!

Old 04-18-2011, 05:45 AM

I live equidistant to Allentown and Quakertown. It's funny, but because Quakertown is in Bucks county, it's not considered the Lehigh Valley and is not covered in the local newspaper, The Morning Call, so I don't feel that I know it as well. I'll give you my subjective opinion. Quakertown has nice amenities - Community Pool, Nice newish library and a big park all in the same area. The downtown is okay. A little tired and worn but not crime ridden or boarded up. The schools are pretty good. The school superintendent actually lives in my school district and her kids went through Southern Lehigh Schools. She was in administration here before changing jobs. They have a funky old school farmers market, the Q-mart. There is good shopping outside of town - Kohl's, Target, BJ's, Best Buy. In fact, I go to Quakertown to shop much more often then I go to Whitehall.

The downside for our family, was that the schools were just too large, but I believe the district is about the same size as East Penn and Parkland, so if you want large schools those three would compare pretty well. The one difference I think you'll find is that there are more lower income people in Quakertown School district, not poor, but there aren't a lot of $400,000 homes there. I'm guessing that fewer kids go on to four year colleges.

I would suggest that you visit the High Schools in the school districts you are interested in and see what feels right. If your children are younger, you will want to visit the appropriate schools for their ages, but make sure you check out the secondary schools too - those are the ones that will make a difference. In Southern Lehigh, we just opened an Intermediate School for grades 4-6 that alleviated overcrowding in our elementary and middle schools. All schools nationwide are dealing with budget cuts, as are our PA ones, so you may want to ask the Principals how that is going to affect their particular schools.

Realtors, See This.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley