Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2012, 06:09 PM

3 posts, read 6,666 times

Advertisements

What is the traffic like on Route 512 eastbound around 6-630a.m.?

I will be commuting via 512 to 611 to 80 to the Parsippany/Morristown area of NJ and I'm looking for homes along route 512 within the Pen Argyl school district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 08:56 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,537,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amagi870 View Post
What is the traffic like on Route 512 eastbound around 6-630a.m.?

I will be commuting via 512 to 611 to 80 to the Parsippany/Morristown area of NJ and I'm looking for homes along route 512 within the Pen Argyl school district.
The "Portland-Columbia" bridge from 611 into NJ is the 2nd smallest of the 7 toll bridges across the Delaware River. The traffic count is 7700 cars per day, so figure it's higher on weekdays (say 4500 cars each direction).

Annual Average Daily Traffic*Toll Bridges 2011
Portland-Columbia 7,700
Delaware Water Gap Interstate 80 51,800
Interstate 78 60,100
Easton-Phillipsburg Route 22 36,400

Trenton-Morrisville Route 1(Bucks County) 53,500
New Hope-Lambertville Route 202 (Bucks County) 10,200
Milford-Montague (North PA near I84) 6,200
Total - Toll Bridges 225,900

Old 07-15-2012, 09:46 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,937,110 times
My brother used to do the commute to the Morristown area from Wind Gap, but he stopped a little over two years ago now. The traffic volume just keeps growing year by year and he did grow to really dislike it. Route 512 won't be a problem, unless there is an isolated incident like a traffic accident, wires down, fire, or something like that necessitating a detour. Route 80 will be the issue, and the volume will just build and build the further you get into NJ. Generally speaking, the earlier you can leave, the better.

Just focus your home search in the northern part of the Pen Argyl District. Homes in the southern part of the district (down by Stockertown/southern Plainfield Township) would potentially add an extra 10-15 mins each way to your commute.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:07 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,537,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
The traffic volume just keeps growing year by year and he did grow to really dislike it.
I suppose there are different ways to try and accomplish your goal. You could take advantage of the lower prices and taxes in slate belt (compared to Morristown) to build yourself a monster home. Or you can purchase some land and a modest home. If you put yourself on a 15 year plan, you can pay off half the principal in 10 years.

If you are not familiar with the term "slate belt" it refers to the region around 512 with a population of some 35,000 people. The traditional industry was obviously slate, and the immigrants came from Wales, England, and Germany who did similar work in their home country. The bridge to I-80 was built in the early 1950's to bring some access to the region.

There was a woman who blogged on this site a few months ago. Her husband wanted to move his business from Newark to Pennsylvania, so they sold their (circa 1950) home in NJ and bought a much larger brand new home in Pennsylvania. But when house prices started on their downward spiral, the home in PA lost a much greater percentage share of it's value than the NJ home within a mile of a train station. So granted they still had the larger newer home, but the wife was growing tired of the slower pace in PA, and the commute was wearing on their souls and pocketbook, sucking up the money they were saving in home taxes.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
My brother used to do the commute to the Morristown area from Wind Gap, but he stopped a little over two years ago now. The traffic volume just keeps growing year by year and he did grow to really dislike it. Route 512 won't be a problem, unless there is an isolated incident like a traffic accident, wires down, fire, or something like that necessitating a detour. Route 80 will be the issue, and the volume will just build and build the further you get into NJ. Generally speaking, the earlier you can leave, the better.

Just focus your home search in the northern part of the Pen Argyl District. Homes in the southern part of the district (down by Stockertown/southern Plainfield Township) would potentially add an extra 10-15 mins each way to your commute.
Thanks for the info. I'm pretty focused on looking in the area you suggest as being the least terrible commute. Although there will be a significant expense with car wear and gas use, the benefits far out weigh the costs for me. Since you're familiar with the area, is there anything about the Pen Argyl/Plainfield area that I should be aware of? I know of the landfill and that doesn't scare me unless it causes some health issue. The schools seem to be rated adequately.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I'm pretty focused on looking in the area you suggest as being the least terrible commute. Although there will be a significant expense with car wear and gas use, the benefits far out weigh the costs for me. Since you're familiar with the area, is there anything about the Pen Argyl/Plainfield area that I should be aware of? I know of the landfill and that doesn't scare me unless it causes some health issue. The schools seem to be rated adequately.
I have lived here my whole life and have attended these schools myself, so I'll try to help you as much as possible.

There have been studies in the past trying to correlate health problems to the landfill, but those have never been conclusive. About the only immediate thing you could notice is that, on high humidity days with low cloud ceiling and depending upon wind direction, you may catch a pretty nasty whiff of it, depending upon where you live. I'm in Wind Gap borough and sometimes it stinks, although not as bad as in the past.

The schools are okay, IMO. My daughter needs special education and that unfortunately relegates her to Pen Argyl. My son is fortunate enough to attend Faith Christian in Roseto, which is far superior academically and socially, although that obviously comes with a price (tuition). Within the Pen Argyl district, the Plainfield Elementary School is the best school from what I have seen, and the middle school is where I see the most need for improvement at this point. There is also the cyber charter option to pursue here in PA as well.

As far as the commute, all I can say is get a vehicle that is known for low maintenance cost and high gas mileage. A popular one seems to be a Toyota Corolla, the hardcore commuters seem to get about 300K miles out of them with proper maintenance and they get pretty good mileage. My friend who is a college librarian over in NJ is on her third Corolla now.

Where are you thinking of re: housing? I would definitely avoid the very bottom of Pen Argyl, not only due to landfill but also due to lots of rentals and some undesirable pockets of people. Generally speaking, the further up the "hill" you go, the nicer the homes are. Mary's Mountain Estates are beautiful, of course. Most of the homes up on Constitution Avenue are also very nice. Then, of course, there are developments of newer homes down into Plainfield Township, as well as newer homes not in developments. The Plainfield Township Rail-Trail is awesome for recreation for all ages and runs the length of the township.

Hope that helps!

Old 07-27-2012, 04:21 AM

Quote:

Where are you thinking of re: housing? I would definitely avoid the very bottom of Pen Argyl, not only due to landfill but also due to lots of rentals and some undesirable pockets of people. Generally speaking, the further up the "hill" you go, the nicer the homes are. Mary's Mountain Estates are beautiful, of course. Most of the homes up on Constitution Avenue are also very nice. Then, of course, there are developments of newer homes down into Plainfield Township, as well as newer homes not in developments. The Plainfield Township Rail-Trail is awesome for recreation for all ages and runs the length of the township.

Hope that helps!
I have been looking along 512 between Wind Gap and Bangor. I seem to be most attracted to the area around Weona park in Plainfield. I have visited homes twice their and it seems to be a quiet family community. That particular area would keep my commute under 50 miles.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I have been looking along 512 between Wind Gap and Bangor. I seem to be most attracted to the area around Weona park in Plainfield. I have visited homes twice their and it seems to be a quiet family community. That particular area would keep my commute under 50 miles.
The development off to the right "Dotta's Development" is indeed very nice. I personally know several families who live in the immediate area around the park (in the above-mentioned development and others not in the development) and all have lived there for quite some time and are very happy. Great location! Housing prices are very low right now, lots of luck with your purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley