Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 07:03 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
The Acela Express is 95 minutes from Philadelphia to Washington Union Station which is a about a mile from Washington National Airport.
Just wanted to correct this one point: Washington Union Station is about five miles away from Washington National Airport and a 30 minute trip via the Washington Metrorail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 09:51 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Few years ago when I took the bus from ABE-EWR, I checked the bags @ ABE, and they made the connection. Going to EWR, the bus stopped right in-front of the skycap and the driver/skycap just took them off the bus, and put them on the conveyor belt.

Coming back EWR-ABE, the Bus left from a gate, and the bag's transferred from the plane to bus by the baggage guys.

When we go on the bus as we departed the Field, the Bus driver Announced this is a bus ride to ABE. Around Berkley Heights on I78, The guy next to me asked where is the plane? We seem to be driving very far to get to the plane.
The United bus from ABE to EWR isn't a bad way to go if it fits into your travel plans. I used it several times when I lived in the LV and had to fly to Phoenix. You go through security and check your bags at LVIA (ABE), which is way way way better than having to do that at EWR or PHL. Parking at LVIA is also a lot less expensive. You board the bus from a gate in the terminal and it takes you to EWR, you don't go through security again.

It's not a bus like TBL or Martz, its a small shuttle van type bus with fairly comfy seats. We had the same driver every time I used it and the guy's a hoot.

When you go back home, you get on the bus from a gate in Terminal C at EWR.

An interesting thing I've noticed is that if you try to book seats on United's web site there are certain flights that if you can't get a seat on directly, you sometimes can if your trip starts in ABE and you take the bus. I presume they reserve some seats on certain flights for ABE passengers. I also noticed once or twice that I was able to get a lower fare on the same plane by starting the trip in ABE rather than EWR. That was very odd, but again may have been due to which seats were reserved for ABE passengers.

It is quite humorous how many people think they are going to be getting on a plane instead of a bus for this leg of their trip. I saw it every time I took the trip from EWR back to ABE. Some people are really stunned when they find out at the gate.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:37 AM

17 posts, read 41,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
The United bus from ABE to EWR isn't a bad way to go if it fits into your travel plans.
This intrigues me. How do you book this? I usually stick to non-stop flights so I'm wondering if that wouldn't even come up in search results.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:00 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkplacezzz View Post
This intrigues me. How do you book this? I usually stick to non-stop flights so I'm wondering if that wouldn't even come up in search results.

Say you are interested in a three day business trip to Washington Dulles Airport: You see from Newark the flight is $500 plus taxes
1 Adults (age 18 to 64) $500.00 Additional Taxes/Fees $21.80

Mon., Apr. 8, 2013 | New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty) to Washington, DC (IAD - Dulles)
Depart: 9:29 a.m. Mon., Apr. 8, 2013 New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty)
Arrive: 10:52 a.m. Mon., Apr. 8, 2013 Washington, DC (IAD - Dulles)
Travel Time: 1 hr 23 mn

Thu., Apr. 11, 2013 | Washington, DC (IAD - Dulles) to New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty)
Depart: 4:48 p.m. Thu., Apr. 11, 2013 Washington, DC (IAD - Dulles)
Arrive: 6:28 p.m. Thu., Apr. 11, 2013 New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty)
Travel Time: 1 hr 40 mn
================================================== ==========
Now you have to figure out how your costs to get to the airport, and or parking.
So instead you book the flight from ABE just like a regular flight only you can't select NON-STOPS.

So you get the same flights out of Newark, but they book on the bus from ABE
Award Miles/ 67 Operated by UNITED EXPRESS BUS SERVICE.

On the upside you get 67 frequent miles, and the fare goes down by $75. You also save gasoline, parking fees, and your car is available to your family members for the four days you are gone.
On the downside the layovers are 1.5 to 2.0 hours in Newark, probably much longer than if you drove yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
I also noticed once or twice that I was able to get a lower fare on the same plane by starting the trip in ABE rather than EWR. *That was very odd, but again may have been due to which seats were reserved for ABE passengers.
Fare Details
1 Adults (age 18 to 64) $424.15 Additional Taxes/Fees $21.80

Depart: 6:00 a.m. Mon., Apr. 8, 2013 Allentown, PA (ABE)
Arrive: 7:30 a.m. Mon., Apr. 8, 2013 New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty)
Flight Time: 1 hr 30 mn

same flights as above

Depart: 8:00 p.m. Thu., Apr. 11, 2013 New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty)
Arrive: 9:25 p.m. Thu., Apr. 11, 2013 Allentown, PA (ABE)
Flight Time: 1 hr 25 mn

======================
The layovers are probably going to be long because it is only one bus that goes back and forth three times. The two in the afternoon are primarily concerned with getting people back and forth from the European and Asian flights where the airline makes big money.

Initially United did not raise fares when they cancelled the ABE-IAD commuter flight. Of course now it takes considerably longer to get there.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 03-26-2013 at 12:12 PM..

Old 03-26-2013, 04:10 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
I did the mini bus once from ABE to EWR and it was great. Much better then driving to EWR. I was pleasantly surprised.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I did the mini bus once from ABE to EWR and it was great. Much better then driving to EWR. I was pleasantly surprised.
It is positive comments like this that make me think that USAirways will replace the 5 daily commuter flights to PHL with a bus service.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:09 AM

1 posts, read 901 times
The United ABE-EWR and EWR-ABE "flights" are quite convenient. as mentioned earlier, drops you off or picks you uo right from the terminal (vs. a bus station in downtown Allentown) and the checked bags are transferred to/from the bus for you. Plus you get 500 United miles for the 67 mile bus route.

Unfortunately for me, it generally doesn't work. The 6:50 am flight from the west coast arrives after 3:30 and the bus leaves for EWR for ABE at 3:15 pm (thought the 6:00 am flight just makes it in time). Works better for me on the retunr flights.

Also, it sometimes adds a bit to the ticket cost. Unlike PacoMartin, my routes usually are more expensive to fly/bus into ABE.

For an upcoming trip the reasonable flight/bus options (non-stop to EWR and back vs a stop somewhere) the flight/bus option was $801 while the same flights just to EWR priced out at just $562. Since I still need to rent a car at the destination, it just makes financial sense to fly to EWR and rent the car there. And even if I didn't need a car in ABE, it would be cheaper to rent a car in EWR and drop it off in ABE - not as convenient, but cheaper - especially when there are two or more of us making the trip.

But if it works for you - I highly suggest the United EWR-ABE "flight".

Old 04-07-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrocker View Post
Since I still need to rent a car at the destination, it just makes financial sense to fly to EWR and rent the car there. And even if I didn't need a car in ABE, it would be cheaper to rent a car in EWR and drop it off in ABE - not as convenient, but cheaper - especially when there are two or more of us making the trip.
Another alternative is The TRANS-BRIDGE TERMINAL 2012 Industrial Drive (LVIP) which is roughly a mile from ABE airport. There are 7 daily bus trips to Newark Airport ($44.20 round trip per person), as opposed to 3 "bus flights" from United. For two or more people, it is probably still cheaper to rent a car and pay drop off fees.

Just check the fares. Air fares can be illogical, and sometimes it is cheaper to board the United bus then it is to make your own way to EWR airport. Sometimes it is cheaper to board a commuter plane at ABE and fly the 55 miles to PHL airport and connect then it is to drive to PHL and take the nonstop.

Airline fares are set by demand, and sometimes they perceive a lack of demand at ABE and they drop the fares accordingly. Also there are quotas, and if the nonstop quota is about to be filled, the price can be higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley