Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 08:03 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,541,543 times

Advertisements

I think this townhouse apartment complex may be what you are looking for: River Walk: Affordable Apartment Rentals in Lehigh County We happened upon it when we were looking to buy a second hand car for one of our kids through Craigslist. I remember thinking at the time that it would be a nice place to live.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 09:03 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,583,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I think this townhouse apartment complex may be what you are looking for: River Walk: Affordable Apartment Rentals in Lehigh County We happened upon it when we were looking to buy a second hand car for one of our kids through Craigslist. I remember thinking at the time that it would be a nice place to live.
It does say "pet friendly", but at over $1400 I think that the OP would consider it for a shared home. The third bedroom is nice to have in a shared home as it can double as a guest bedroom and/or study/media room.

I did my graduate work at Lehigh University, and even the rentals on old homes on the safe streets are surprisingly high.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:11 AM

5 posts, read 6,545 times
ok, I have been doing a lot of research and I'm seeing a lot of mixed reviews re: Allentown. I love the website and photos of the lofts at Versailles at Eighth, but I am concerned that a lot of people are saying the neighborhood is not that great, especially as a single female. Any advice on this area?

Old 04-24-2014, 11:17 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,391,649 times
Allentown can be rough, depending on the area. I worked there at night in center city for years, however, and while there was plenty of crime (including violent crime), I survived unscathed.

There are lovely, safer areas of Allentown, but most of them are not downtown; they're in the West End.

Bethlehem, OTOH, has safe downtown areas both north and south of the river.

If you're looking for safe & urban you are better off in Bethlehem, IMHO.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:52 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,907,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica63 View Post
ok, I have been doing a lot of research and I'm seeing a lot of mixed reviews re: Allentown. I love the website and photos of the lofts at Versailles at Eighth, but I am concerned that a lot of people are saying the neighborhood is not that great, especially as a single female. Any advice on this area?
Not that helpful, but that's the area where the hockey ring/ arena is being built. It's main purpose was to revitalize Allentown by bringing in young new residents, so you are the target. In theory, it would be safe since it's next to the new arena, but it's still being built, so nobody knows how it will be.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:23 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,583,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica63 View Post
They are making a huge effort to gentrify the neighborhood, but there are frequent stories of being able to buy heroin right on eighth street. So "not that great" means "highest per capita murder rate" in the Valley.

You are sharing a city block with the Salvation Army. I am sure that most people who buy there will drive out of a secure parking garage in high end cars.

It may gentrify, and many people remember going their regularly 30 years ago. But single female may not be the best people to be on the leading edge.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:52 AM

28 posts, read 65,364 times
One possible option is Bethlehem Fields. The apartments are fairly new and according to their site they are pet friendly. A downside is that traffic around there is a continuing nightmare since it's right next to the 78 exits and they've been doing construction there for what feels like forever.

A slightly pricier option is Saucon View. The apartments are really nice and it's a very short commute to Lehigh (10 minutes). During the summer it's a very short walk to the farmer's market in the park right next to it, plus the saucon rail trail is right there. If you want to hang out in downtown Bethlehem it's easy enough to drive over or just park at Lehigh and walk over the bridge.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:57 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,144,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Not that helpful, but that's the area where the hockey ring/ arena is being built. It's main purpose was to revitalize Allentown by bringing in young new residents, so you are the target. In theory, it would be safe since it's next to the new arena, but it's still being built, so nobody knows how it will be.

correction: It's aim is class warfare!

Old 05-03-2014, 03:05 PM

143 posts, read 464,069 times
In the last two weeks there have been at least two reported assaults, one at 7 TH and Linden. This is immediately across the street from the Ice Hockey Arena. The first assault was for a cellphone, the thugs beat the victim so badly his retina detached and his jaw was broken.

Another victim was assaulted and robbed of his cellphone and wallet at 8 TH and Hamilton in the same block as the Ice Hockey Arena.

The media has not published all the assaults and robberies for sometime now because the city wants people to relocate to Allentown.

There are many many more assaults, hit and runs, robberies then you see in the media and those in the media are usually pretty bad.

Last summer an old friends sister of 83 years old was robbed and beaten in her own home on the WEST END OF ALLENTOWN. She had brain swelling and nearly died.

The Allentown Police now have a unit set up JUST TO DEAL WITH ALL THE HIT AND RUNS BECAUSE THERE HAVE BEEN SO MANY AND CONTINUE TO BE MANY.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:13 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,144,492 times
Perhaps you have a point about the Media not reporting some things, but the City on a whole is turning the corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley