Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2014, 06:43 PM

48 posts, read 85,660 times

Advertisements

My husband and I, along with our newborn are planning on moving to PA. He is from Phila. but he only wants to attend school there, and live outside of Phila. I have visited Allentown but I wasn't too fond of it (maybe the area?). We want to rent a home temporarily so he can finish school and we plan on moving back to the south. Unfortunately I need family help with the baby so I can finish school as well. Are there any quiet areas with very low crime rate in these areas? My husband's school is in Exton, which I think is somewhere near Phila.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 07:52 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
I just read your post in the NEPA forum: https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...l#post35991212
Quote:
My husband and I, along with our newborn are looking into moving to PA. He is from Phila. but he's never ventured outside the city, so he's not much help to finding a town. He wants to be close enough to Exton because he is planning on attending UTI, and I have parents that live in Sussex County, NJ (on the end closer to Morris County). Being close enough to my parents is ideal since I need my mom's help to watch the baby while I attend school. The max I would be willing to drive is 45 mins tops, since it would be a daily commute. I want an area where we can get land and a home that doesn't exceed $140,000, and where I can keep chickens and a few goats. As you can probably tell, we would like a quiet, country area. I really am not familiar with many towns in PA so I have absolutely no idea where to start looking.
And now understand why you were posting in this forum. As the NEPA posters pointed out, there is no good mid-point to those two places. Unfortunately, you also won't find anything in your price range in the Lehigh Valley either. The average home price with maybe 1/2 an acre is going to be over $200,000. I agree with Fisheye's suggestion and don't think of your new place as your forever home (with chickens and goats) but concentrate on getting someone's education finished. If I were you, I would concentrate on one person's education at a time. It seems extremely stressful to have a new baby and two parents commuting long distances in opposite directions in a new location.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:04 AM

Yes we are now thinking of this as only being a temporary home so we want to rent now, instead of buying.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:11 AM

69 posts, read 87,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcwifex View Post
My husband and I, along with our newborn are planning on moving to PA. He is from Phila. but he only wants to attend school there, and live outside of Phila. I have visited Allentown but I wasn't too fond of it (maybe the area?). We want to rent a home temporarily so he can finish school and we plan on moving back to the south. Unfortunately I need family help with the baby so I can finish school as well. Are there any quiet areas with very low crime rate in these areas? My husband's school is in Exton, which I think is somewhere near Phila.
I would suggest West Chester, PA.

Great small college town with affordable housing and not too far from Exton. If you are concerned about the collge kids, you can look at the other side of town.

I personally had lived at Seven Oaks apartments and loved how easy it was to drive into the Philadelphia (rt. 3 pretty much all the way), but loved the easy walk to downtown West Chester.

It's certainly a family-friendly type of town.

I hope that can help you in your search, and good luck!

Old 08-14-2014, 12:23 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,905,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcwifex View Post
Yes we are now thinking of this as only being a temporary home so we want to rent now, instead of buying.
If you want to rent, any of the suburban areas would be fine. Maybe Quakertow works for you as there is a lot of shopping in case you need to get stuff for the newborn.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:11 PM

Default Recommends areas in Lehigh county

Relocating to Lehigh Valley. Any suggestions on safe neighborhoods for young families? A good school system is important as well. To narrow it down, we don't want to pay more than $1100 in rent, so an affordable area would be great. thanks for your help.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:16 PM

As you can see, I tacked on your new post to your old thread. What do you need to be near? Husband still looking to go to automotive school?

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
As you can see, I tacked on your new post to your old thread. What do you need to be near? Husband still looking to go to automotive school?
Silly me I forgot I had posted! He's changed his mind about places to move to that I've lost track :/. He would like to be within an hour and a half from Warminster. I also need to be within that same distance to sussex county nj. We like quiet living, not the city

Old 09-15-2014, 07:21 AM

Are you still planning for each of you to commute that distance daily? According to google maps, Easton would be about an hour without traffic to Warminster but I wouldn't go any further than that because there will be delays whether it's traffic or construction or accidents or just being behind a big truck. If you take the back roads, a big chunk of those roads are long hills and one lane each way.

And I really don't mean to be so negative, but finding a place to rent that is not in the city is possible but more problematic. There are just not that many places to rent and it's not uncommon for people to just stick a sign in the front yard with a "for rent" sign, so you never see them on-line.

Easton area is also about equi-distant to Sussex County NJ. I'm not real familiar with the area around Easton, but Palmer and Forks townships have been suggested before. Here's the Craigslist for the area. https://allentown.craigslist.org/sea...=2&bathrooms=1

Realtors, See This.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:14 PM

331 posts, read 369,895 times
If you're still looking on renting in a family-friendly area that's affordable, I would look in one of the boroughs. They've got the small-town feel, but you can get easy access to highways. Coopersburg, Macungie, Northampton, or Emmaus are places I'd look first. Coopersburg, Macungie, and Emmaus are in the southern part of the valley- Coopersburg gives you easy access to 78 and Route 309 south through Quakertown into Philly, and is also close the Quakertown exit of the Turnpike. Macungie & Emmaus give easy access to Routes 100 & 29, which both lead to 22/78. Southern Lehigh and East Penn School Districts are some of the best in the area.

Northampton borough is a slightly larger town, with about 9,000 residents, and has some very affordable housing. Northampton Area School District is one of the better ones in the area, also. There is a real sense of community and neighbors-helping-neighbors in Northampton. You have easy access there to Route 145 which leads to 22.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley