Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2014, 08:12 PM

102 posts, read 162,061 times

Advertisements

Please share your experience..

If you moved for cost of living reasons, was it worth it?

Were there plentiful job opportunities..?

Were you happy with your move?

Do you know anyone who moved to PA and moved back to NJ?

If so, what were the reasons?

We've heard the cost of living in PA is not vastly different, and that other PA fees and taxes make up for what we feel exorbitant (home ownership) fees and taxes in NJ.

When we looked in these sections years ago,( in a, then, seller's market), it seemed that area of PA cost about 80% of the cost of houses in Bergen county. Other than now, maybe, some homes being more affordable, between PA and NJ suburbs, do you see any real difference?

How about differences between your part of PA and NY state, for instance? Places North of Sullivan county NY, for example?

If you've moved from NY or NJ to PA please share.

We don't have a vast pool of material, nor information, resources to base this huge decision on.

Your feedback is truly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 08:20 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,907,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hears_where_the_story View Post
Please share your experience..

If you moved for cost of living reasons, was it worth it?

Were there plentiful job opportunities..?

Were you happy with your move?

If so, what were the reasons?

We've heard the cost of living in PA is not vastly different, and that other PA fees and taxes make up for what we feel exorbitant (home ownership) fees and taxes in NJ.

When we looked in these sections years ago,( in a, then, seller's market), it seemed that area of PA cost about 80% of the cost of houses in Bergen county. Other than now, maybe, some homes being more affordable, between PA and NJ suburbs, do you see any real difference?

How about differences between your part of PA and NY state, for instance? Places North of Sullivan county NY, for example?

If you've moved from NY or NJ to PA please share.

We don't have a vast pool of material, nor information, resources to base this huge decision on.

Your feedback is truly appreciated!
I'm from Jersey, but didn't move directly to the LV from NJ. However, I'll try and answer your questions.
1. Jobs: Depends on what you do. For me, there are very few jobs in the LV, but I wok in NJ, so it's fine, I guess.

2. Happy: Generally, yes.

3. Back to NJ: No, but I think it may be worth it. You will get a smaller house & land, and probably be farther away from shopping, but Hunterdon County (IMO) has better schools than the Lehigh Valley and is not much more expensive.

4. Taxes/ Cost of living: It depends, say you want a $500,000 house. You will get a much bigger/ nicer house than in NJ (especially compared to Bergan County). However, your taxes will not be that different because of the School District tax & the fact that you house will be among the more expensive in the area.

I wouldn't move to the LV simply because of the cost of living differences as compared to NJ. You (or your SO) should have a job here first and then you will be fine and enjoy life.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:04 PM

102 posts, read 453,901 times
I grew up and lived in Central NJ for about 15 years before moving out here 8 years ago.

1. Jobs: can't comment. I am self-employed so it didn't matter where I worked from.

2. Happy: Yes. It's much less crowded. I couldn't stand the crowded shopping centers and congested roads.

3. Back to NJ: Sometimes, only because of our kids. Like blazerj mentioned, school districts are still better in NJ. Overall convenience is better in the Lehigh Valley than many of the more rural parts of NJ.

4. Taxes: Taxes are about the same as in central NJ, but instead you get to live in a bigger house. If you got the same exact house in PA as you did in NJ/NY, I'd guess you'd save some on tax.

It's not as obvious a decision as some people think. I do love that car insurance is so much cheaper though.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:56 PM

16 posts, read 24,316 times
I moved here from nyc. Queens county to be more precise. I live near coopersburg. All I can say is this place is great. The people are friendly. The schools are beautiful and top notch. I pay alittle more in taxes than I would like but I have a new construction house 4000 sq ft on an acre. My car insurance is half of what it was. Food is 75% of what it was. Gas is .50 cents cheaper a gallon. I know all of my neighbors by name where in
Nyc I knew 3 by name (I lived in my old neighborhood for 13 yrs)

Old 10-23-2014, 10:01 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,391,423 times
Short answer: It depends.
You didn't mention a family or kids. Some folks move here because they believe their kids will be in better school districts. In Bergen County, there are some very good school districts already.
Some folks move here for cost-of-living reasons, but discover there's a parallel loss of income in the available jobs here, so they commute back to NJ or NYC to keep that high salary. Their families may benefit from the LV, but generally speaking, the commuter is too worn out to care.
Housing costs less to buy or rent in the LV. Property taxes are mostly lower. Insurance is mostly lower. Salaries are lower. Gas is higher. Heating costs are not cheaper. Food is the same. Access to culture is farther away.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:07 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,578,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hears_where_the_story View Post
We had a woman on the thread who moved to Northampton County by the airport from a town in Raritan Valley, NJ. She despised it here, and took to the forum with a vengeance to encourage people not to do the long commute.

She had a 1950's era house in NJ and built a brand new 4 bedroom in PA. Her husband commuted to Newark where he was part owner of a family business. She eventually sold the house at a loss to move back to NJ (where homes had lost little value).

Normally, the ultra commuters have young children, and they are unhappy with size of the home that they can afford in NJ in a good school district. This woman had grown children, and she loved having lots of places to go within a few miles of her home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley