Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 11:35 AM

518 posts, read 1,792,375 times

Advertisements

Just got back from roaming the country side and the views were great! I finally found an area I like. First question--How is Dorney Park? my realtor said something about buying a season pass and using the pool (which she said had a wave pool with sandy beach area?). Has anyone done this, is it very crowded during the week or late afternoons? Is it clean? I understand a lot of camps use it during the day and weekends I can only imagine are very crowded. The second question is about East Penn School system. Do you think that if they build another high school, will the taxes go up per household a couple of thousands. Do you think they will make the area into 2 high school district or do what they did in Parkland and use the old high school for a middle school and build a new huge high school.? I heard that when Parkland was built the school taxes went up about 2 thousand dollars per home. Sounds high when the taxes in lower macungie are already some of the highest around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 05:41 PM

8 posts, read 44,414 times
1. I find Dorney, on you're typical weekend to be one of the most unpleasant things I have ever experianced - the water park in particular. The lines are awful. Weekdays when the weather is less than ideal is the best time to go Imo. it's clean. There is silly litttle sandy area that is full of loungers. Season Passes are very much so worth it if you live nearby.

2. Seeing as how they have 2 middle schools currently, the 2 high schools would make the most sense for them...Although I can't picture that actually happening...the old high school would probably be too large then...

Old 03-10-2008, 06:58 PM

22 posts, read 57,770 times
I would definitely not suggest Dorney on the weekend. It gets packed and very annoying. However, throughout the summer early weekdays are not so bad. I'd say in by 11 which is when the water park opens and out by 1 or 2 would be the best way to go.

They used to have "special" parking for season pass holders but they don't anymore, so you might wind up having to walk quite a bit, depending on what time you get there.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:11 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Bribing my kids with season passes to Dorney was one of the incentives for our move here 10 years ago. It seems to be most popular with kids of Middle School age. We did it for just two years before they grew tired of it. Also, our neighbors daughter worked in the water park, specifically at the big wave pool and told us of how they would find condoms and tampons (YUCK!) when they cleaned it at the end of the day. That kept us out of THAT area! We found the best time of the season was June and that was about it.

I have no idea about the HS, but no suprise about the overcrowding.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:56 PM

26 posts, read 100,614 times
whoa toobusy thanx for the info on the pool area..
Are there any area pools??

Old 03-10-2008, 09:28 PM

26 posts, read 117,246 times
I also try to avoid Dorney Park, especially during the peak season. I have found it better to go there just before they close for the season, which is after all of the Camp Clowns are long gone. I have never used the pool, and after what is posted above, I have no plans to do so. The pool at the Macungie Memorial Park is very nice from what I remember. When I have gone to the car show there in August, my kids always spent their time at the pool area.
If you are looking for a nice Amusement part to visit, try Knoebles out near Bloomsburg. I go there almost every year at least once, and think that it is great. I will attach a link to their website below. That is one of the few parks that is still far away enough to keep some of the goofballs away that find their way to Dorney and Hershey.

Knoebels Amusement Resort

Last edited by wings396; 03-10-2008 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 03-11-2008, 03:48 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,264,160 times
We moved to Lower Macungie in October when Dorney Park was already closed for the season - thank God!

My three kids hoot and hollar every time we pass that darn place, so I guess I will have to take them at least once this season (I'll let their father do that).

As for pools - there are two community pools that i know of that lots of people in my area join - Lower Macungie pool and Macungie pool.

I am sure that if they build any new schools our already high taxes will go higher - hey, you get what you pay for, right?

Old 03-11-2008, 05:52 AM

39 posts, read 220,256 times
I agree with Wings:

Knoebels is great! It also has family campsites if you wanted to stay for a weekend.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:41 PM

61 posts, read 225,864 times
I worked at dorney park/ ww kingdom for 5 seasons. The park is great but the clientele differs greatly from day to day. The park is clean but not nearly as clean as hershey or even 6 flags.

East Penn just expanded the HS in the mid 90's. I can't see them building a new HS but never say never. I think expanding in the 90's rather than going the parkland route with a clean slate high school was a mistake, but it is too late now. Parkland used to be dirt cheap property tax wise, one of the best bargains for a great education in the region. Not anymore.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:33 AM

518 posts, read 1,792,375 times
We really like the North Whitehall area and I can't really find much info on it. Is it even remotely desirable. There seems to be no real community feel, no pools, no real towns. I guess the views were so great that I forgot about feeding the family and keeping them entertained. Everyone always goes on about lower macungie and how great it is for conveniences and maybe that is better than a view and larger lot..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley