Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2015, 02:16 PM

3 posts, read 3,838 times

Advertisements

I am a native Northern New Jersey girl, looking to relocate my family to PA. I have looked into North Easter PA around Hemlock Farms, BUT not sure i'll get used to not having a corner store to walk to. We do love the outdoors, but i don't think i'm ready to go that extreme. So i'm looking for something in the middle. As i continue to do research in PA, i have seen that Emmaus and Nazareth seem to be a bit more rural and it wouldn't be such a culture shock for me. The kids will adapt as they are 7 and under right now. On that note if anyone can give me a better idea of what i'm looking when it comes to Emmaus and Nazareth in terms to schools and crime and community and recreation. Thanks a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 02:18 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,390,808 times
Emmaus and Nazareth are both good school districts, close to the best in the region. Emmaus is East Penn School District. Nazareth is, well, Nazareth S.D.
Emmaus is said to have a great downtown vibe, walkability, etc. I believe Naz. has a similar setup, but I don't think it's as concentrated an area. Others with more familiarity can chime in.
I'd think either would be a good halfway point for you - community and local shops galore.

You'll need a car no matter where you go, if that wasn't clear to you...

Old 07-01-2015, 02:39 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
The biggest difference in the two school districts is the size of the high schools. East Penn has more than 1,000 more than Nazareth. Both districts are experiencing fast growth and I believe East Penn just raised their taxes to deal with that. Overcrowding should be looked at. Academic wise you can compare that here: School Performance Profile: Emmaus HS I prefer Emmaus's downtown, but unless you live there I'm not sure that matters a lot. Will you be living in the downtown area of either school district?

When we were looking at school districts, we chose a small district because we wanted our kids to feel at home quickly. With your young kids, that won't matter much but if you want to be involved in the schools, it might be easier to jump in to a parents group in Nazareth. I found that true in Southern Lehigh.

As to your rural comment, the only districts not what you consider "rural" are the city ones. Most of the school districts outlying the city's with the exception of Parkland, have small towns as their focal points - East Penn has two towns - Emmaus and Macungie. Southern Lehigh has Coopersburg, Saucon Valley has Hellertown, Nazareth has well, Nazareth, etc.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:28 PM

3 posts, read 3,838 times
I also want my kids to feel at home pretty quickly. I come from a small town in northern NJ where the graduating class is more or less 100 students. I would still like that. A place where, when they are adults, they can come back home and still see their friends. A stable enviornment. We are going to look at some homes in Hemlock farms this weekend and then see some homes in Emmaus. Nazareth is a lil bit more pricey,although it seems inviting not sure we can afford Nazareth right now.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,349 times
I live in Emmaus. Our downtown area is very cute, definitely walkable, and it's developing pretty nicely. The school district is high-quality, but the high school is becoming very crowded by your standards. I graduated in 2011 and there were about 700 students in my graduating class. I believe there is a new high school being constructed in Lower Macungie, so that should eventually alleviate some of the crowding problems. I also wouldn't exactly call Emmaus rural; it's pretty solidly suburban, but in a non-"McMansion-y" way.

Last edited by Joy Division; 07-10-2015 at 11:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley