Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2017, 09:27 PM

30 posts, read 34,792 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I'm looking for recommendations for decent places to buy a home within 45 minutes - a hour of Allentown.
Looking for 2 -5 acres, with taxes under 3500 if possible. Not too congested.
Would like to keep the cost of the house under 300k and be able to own chickens.

Originally from NY, but have spent the past few years on a 75 acre farm in Virginia but will be looking to downsize and move closer to family for my wife ( without moving to NY, NJ or Conn).

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 08:27 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
I doubt you will be able to find that much land within 45 minutes of Allentown for that price point, but I would suggest just looking North and West. You definitely won't find it East or South. That's also a really low amount for taxes with that much land. Our school taxes alone are over $4,000 with less than an acre of land. But, who knows. I would use zillow for a quick search.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:39 AM

Thanks for responding.
Using Zillow and Realtor, I have found a few spots with taxes under 4k...mostly North and West of Allentown.
I'm going to start keeping a list and hopefully some time by the end of the year will visit to check those areas out in person.
I understand I'm going to have to compromise.
I can do research on cities here but just looking for some recommendations to help narrow down searches since I'm basically doing searches by map.

Last edited by Khal Z; 07-15-2017 at 08:07 AM..

Old 07-15-2017, 04:06 PM

I'd suggest filling out the sticky in the first post of this forum so we can more information about what you want besides land and your price point.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:09 AM

All my requirements are pretty much there...
Under 3500 in taxes.
House budget of about 300k.
Would like a minimum of 2 acres.
Want to be able to own chickens.

My only other requirement would really be access to a decent gym. I don't mind a short trip for shopping.

I was thinking of being closer to Allentown for medical and eventually work options, but think I'm going to have to look further north and west as suggested. I didn't want to as far north as route80 and the poconos...its a bit too close to where I'm originally from, but if I want to keep taxes down, I'm going to have to reconsider.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:54 PM

This part may help narrow it down:
Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Do you prefer public or private schools?
Your priorities:
What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Please note that there is NO rail service in the Lehigh Valley.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?

I personally like the rolling hills going west towards Trexlertown and Kempton rather than the forest/ former coal mine towns that you see going North towards Lehighton.

Realtors, See This.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:53 PM

Married. I'm in my late 40s, wife in early 50s.
Shopping, I don't really mind travelling a bit for. Right now I'm 20-30 mins away from the 2 food stores I use.

Kids, schools aren't in the picture.
Nightlife..not interested.
A few decent restaurants in the area would be great but we don't eat out much.
Diversity is nice..but to be honest I'm really not concerned with who's around me as long as their decent people. ( Im mixed if it matters). Alot of people friends I've made here in VA thought I was italian
I tend to agree with Libertarian views on most things but consider myself Indepedent who leans right.

Work... I'd like to find something to do to bring in some income but we do have pensions.Id like to find 'a job' ...but don't need to rely it to live.
In doing research, I'm kind of reconsidering the Allentown area.Im kind of familiar with Pocono area a little bit, but in reading comments on that area here....thinking no.
I'm looking into areas south of 78 right now.

I'll look into the spots you mentioned.

Last edited by Khal Z; 07-17-2017 at 02:25 PM..

Old 07-18-2017, 07:27 AM

Well, if you are looking into my area (Southern Lehigh School district), look into Lower Milford Township. It's rural but easy to get to shopping and route 78 or the turnpike. You might also look just a bit further into (I think) Berks county and Boyertown. That's a pretty neat little town and the area around it has farms and orchards. The reason many people look for an area with good schools is 1) A well educated populace 2) Re-sale.

Realtors, See This.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:46 AM

I've been looking around Reading...Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley