Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2017, 03:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,403 times

Advertisements

Please help me. I moved from Ohio to Allentown, PA. I did so to assist with caring for my mother, whose health is deteriorating. A lot has changed here since I was last in Allentown, and it seems to be known as "Little NY" - with its raised rent, crime, and cramped apartments. I am trying to remain here for the sake of family but I need to live in an area that's more affordable and safe for my family. Any suggestions on places close to Catasauqua to move to? In Ohio, I rented a 3-bdr mobile home for $699 a month. In Allentown, I pay $750 for a place that I have to turn sideways to get through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 04:43 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,140,200 times
Rising rent is s problem everywhere and will not change until a left wing politician takes charge and implements rent/price controls. This is not likely to happen. Therefore, I encourage you to move to catasaqua or Northampton. Long term you should focus on moving south or west. This area is tolerable, but nowhere as great as people say. Those who share this mindset do what we have to do, and enjoy life as much as we can with the hope of permanent escape within 3 years.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:50 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
Quote:
Long term you should focus on moving south or west. This area is tolerable, but nowhere as great as people say. Those who share this mindset do what we have to do, and enjoy life as much as we can with the hope of permanent escape within 3 years.
Yeah same here. There is very little good paying work in this area. Most people I know are commuting 1:30 to 2+ hours everyday. It's a glorified bedroom community. The dating and social scene is almost non-existent, at least at the kind of quality that I desire.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-02-2017 at 08:44 AM..

Old 10-04-2017, 11:57 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
I disagree about good playing employment but agree that you will not be able to find something in a safe area unless you get in a much more rural area. I also agree that living in Catty is a good idea.

As far as employment, I know hardly anyone that works out of the Lehigh Valley and somehow they can afford to live in my school district, which has the highest COL in the area. We have half a dozen colleges, two large hospitals and several manufacturing plants that employ thousands of people here in the Lehigh Valley. https://www.payscale.com/research/US...lley-PA/Salary

And in nearby Phillipsburg, NJ https://www.payscale.com/research/US...burg-NJ/Salary

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-22-2017, 04:07 PM

113 posts, read 132,457 times
Check out the DC metro area: Northern Virginia, Maryland. I used to live there and am looking to return. The cost of living there is higher, but that's not all there is to it. I live in Northampton, and with rent and the average salary here, compared to the salary I could make in northern Virginia, the DC area would be financially much better. I have lived in both places, so I know from experience.

Of course, if you are in the health care field, you can make out VERY well in the Lehigh Valley. Or if you commute very far. But if you don't have skills that are in great demand here, then you will have to settle for mediocre jobs that are dead-end and low-paying (about $10-12 per hour, maybe less). I experienced one of those jobs for a brief time. It was like a sweatshop. Places around here pay crap and give very little in return for your work, because they know they can always get people to take those bad jobs.

But if you want to stay in this area, Northampton is a good place to check out. Relatively safe, with reasonable rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley