Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 03:26 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,564 times

Advertisements

Mod cut: Please note that this thread is from 2012

I visited Allentown last weekend and I really liked it. I want to know how it's like living there/quality of life-wise. I there a lot of activities to do? How is the cost of living? Crime? Job market? Race relations? Pubic transportation? Tell me the pro's and con's please, be creative.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-01-2018 at 11:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 08:23 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
If you were interested in moving, I would be happy to answer some specific questions but I personally don't have time for an essay just because.... So here's my condensed version - Allentown is a city that has an interesting history - History Read if you're interested. Right now it's going through some rough times with quite a bit of crime and schools that are some of the worst in the state.

There's a hockey arena that's being built, lots of controversy - http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...rG-BxJ2gJV6vLg

And a very successful minor league team - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball | Lehigh Valley IronPigs Homepage

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:19 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
If you were interested in moving, I would be happy to answer some specific questions but I personally don't have time for an essay just because.... So here's my condensed version - Allentown is a city that has an interesting history - History Read if you're interested. Right now it's going through some rough times with quite a bit of crime and schools that are some of the worst in the state.

There's a hockey arena that's being built, lots of controversy - http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...rG-BxJ2gJV6vLg

And a very successful minor league team - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball | Lehigh Valley IronPigs Homepage
I'll be honest and say that I don't have any immediate plans to move as of this moment but I do plan on leaving where i'm at sometime in the future (for a variety of reasons) but I don't know where. Allentown is just one of several places that I found interesting, so i'm trying to gather more information. I really don't want to come across as trolling.

The lifestyle i'm looking for is an affordable way of life/cost of living and lively/active atmosphere (as well as the other things I mentioned in my original post).

Old 07-30-2012, 07:25 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,992 times
Hi,

I own a nice home in in a very nice neighborhood in south Allentown (zip code 18103).
Just like any medium to large eastern seaboard city you will have good and bad in the same area.
South and west Allentown are the best places to find well kept homes in nice quiet neighborhoods.
Allentown's park system is unparalleled in it's size and scope compared to the rest of the country.
Due to having numerous institutions of higher learning in the immediate area one has the opportunity to expose oneself to the arts at a very high level.

The quality of healthcare is excellent.

Outdoor opportunities abound from fishing on the little Lehigh River in town to a short jaunt to Lake Nockamixon to the south of Allentown outside Quakertown.

My wife and I are child free so I cannot assist you in a first hand account of the quality of Allentown school public schools except to say that the Parkland School District in the west part of the city is by far the best public school district in the area.

Allentown is extremely well located being accessible to NYC, Philly and the Jersey shore in reasonable time.

There is a large issue concerning crime that has it's epicenter in Center city Allentown and moves out from that point.

The arena that is being constructed will also eventually have adjacent upper scale eateries as well as a convention center.

The question that arises is is this the beginning phases of gentrification of downtown?
My personal opinion is yes it is.

The second question that arises is where will the poor move to once this has begun in earnest?
My guess is as good as anyone's.

If historical reference could be used here then the poor and the problems that inevitably are tied to this group will move out in all directions outside center city.

Overall Allentown and adacent cities are extremely livable and enjoyable on a multitude of levels.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:59 AM

104 posts, read 189,334 times
I have been to Allentown once in my life and the area I was around was basically all factories. It was late at night so I couldn't even tell where I was at lol. But my bff moved to Allentown in 2009 and she says the crime rate is very high. I go on craigslist just to see what the houses look like and for my personal taste they don't look all that nice. Most of them (from what I've seen) are buildings. Not something I would go for but everyone is different of course. If you want to get in-depth info on Allentown though, just go to google.com and type in Allentown PA, city data and it will come up. It will tell you about the race, the unemployment rate, the crime rate, everything. Good luck.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:00 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaMichele View Post
I have been to Allentown once in my life and the area I was around was basically all factories. It was late at night so I couldn't even tell where I was at lol. But my bff moved to Allentown in 2009 and she says the crime rate is very high. I go on craigslist just to see what the houses look like and for my personal taste they don't look all that nice. Most of them (from what I've seen) are buildings. Not something I would go for but everyone is different of course. If you want to get in-depth info on Allentown though, just go to google.com and type in Allentown PA, city data and it will come up. It will tell you about the race, the unemployment rate, the crime rate, everything. Good luck.
I get that you are trying to be helpful Christina, so I hope that you visit again and see Allentown in the daylight. I have no idea where you were when you saw a bunch of factories, but it surely wasn't in Allentown proper: Hamilton District Main Street | Center City Allentown commercial and cultural district featuring theater, dining and events. It Starts Here There is some manufacturing sort of on the border of the city, but downtown Allentown is like any small city on the East Coast - row houses, small business, a few high rises, library, theaters, etc.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:34 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,992 times
Christina,

Hmmm....It appears that you only read the OP and then responded without also reading other posts.
I can assure you that I do not live in a building but a nice home with a manicured lawn that I just finished mowing and trimming this morning.
My area of Allentown is extremely nice with the average home value sitting in the 170,000 dollar range.

There are plenty of areas that would be considered blight however Allentown is quite large and I am far away from the gun play and the cesspool that exists elsewhere in the city.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:13 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,301 times
Allentown as a city has its problems, as TBT and Julian have pointed out. However, the Lehigh Valley itself is a large, diverse and vibrant area. If Allentown isn't your cup of tea, you can always live a few miles to the east in Bethlehem. IMO, Bethlehem has the best of both worlds: amenities that you'd have in a big city, with a bit of a small town feel.

Also, as Julian pointed out, Allentown is in a bit of a transitional state with the arena being constructed. What the city will be like in 5-10 years from now is anyone's guess.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:44 PM

I wasn't just basing it on where I was but also from what my bff tells me. I don't know which part she lives in actually but she just says Allentown as a whole is not good. I was just stating what I was told. Didn't mean to give out any false info.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Christina,

Hmmm....It appears that you only read the OP and then responded without also reading other posts.
I can assure you that I do not live in a building but a nice home with a manicured lawn that I just finished mowing and trimming this morning.
My area of Allentown is extremely nice with the average home value sitting in the 170,000 dollar range.

There are plenty of areas that would be considered blight however Allentown is quite large and I am far away from the gun play and the cesspool that exists elsewhere in the city.
Actually I did read the other posts. I was just giving my opinion based on my bff's experience as she lives in Allentown. What are the nice areas of Allentown? I had thought of moving there until she told me it was a place she regrets moving to. With 4 small children, you can be sure I am trying to stay away from crime. If you can tell me the nicer areas, I guess around where you are, that would be helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley