Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 09:48 AM

1,170 posts, read 590,851 times

Advertisements

Cargo

Unfortunately no passenger rail service for the Lehigh Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2021, 01:53 PM

276 posts, read 987,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
Cargo

Unfortunately no passenger rail service for the Lehigh Valley.
Do you know what cargo it carries?

Old 08-24-2021, 01:02 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,761,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseWords View Post
Do you know what cargo it carries?
I'm up near Jim Thorpe, which is part of the Lehigh Line- owned by Northern Suffolk. The trains look like any other cargo carrying freight trains, for the most part, sometimes I'll see fuel come through.

Old 10-02-2021, 08:34 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,207,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
My wife and currently live in the Bronx, NY and as we know, it is becoming a more difficult place to live. We are considering Emmaus since we both visited the area 8 years ago. I know things have changed but we have some questions. What is the median price of homes? Are they mostly HOA's or are there older homes available? We both drive but we don't like to go too far, so are amenities fairly close in the area such as stores, hospitals, restaurants, etc? We would appreciate any help or advice you can give us to assist us in making a decision. Thanks to all of you in advance!
Most of my family now lives in PA, but we are originally from the NYC area in Northern New Jersey and more specifically Jersey City. I have an aunt and uncle who use to live in Emmaus area (Albertis I think is near there as well) but about 3 years ago they moved out of that area because it was getting too expensive ironically because so many New Yorkers were moving into the area. It's gotten rather trendy with many retail stores and other things like more restaurants and such.

My aunt moved near my mother in Wernersville PA, which is near Reading and Wyomissing (where my brother now lives). If I were you, since you're seniors, I would look a little further into central PA. It's cheaper, still lots of out of state and NY/NJ people.

Old 12-22-2021, 09:20 AM

5 posts, read 8,086 times
I grew up in the Lehigh Valley, but moved away after college, and currently live in Northern Virginia. If I were to move back to the LV (which my wife really wants, but I don't), I'd probably choose Emmaus. It's a really nice town, with great schools, and far enough away from the trash humans in Allentown. It's clean, traffic isn't bad, there are lots of nice restaurants, and Lehigh Valley Hospital is right there. The downtown is walkable from many nice neighborhoods, but as another mentioned, the freight trains speeding through town is a concern. My wife had a classmate get run over by one not long after graduation.
As far as retiree concerns go, the property taxes are kind of high, so definitely check out properties on the Lehigh County site to see what the taxes are like before making a purchase. Just keep in mind if the home hasn't sold in a long time, it will be reassessed, and is probably covered under the Homestead Act, so maybe check the recent sales nearby. Gas is expensive, at least 10% more than I pay in Virginia. Pennsylvania does not tax retirement income, so if you have a pension or large 401k, that's a plus. It's been said that PA is a great state to retire in, but a lousy state to die in. That's due to the 4.5-15% death tax. Honestly, I'd say PA is in the top 3 most tax-efficient eastern states in which to retire, along with FL and TN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley