Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2009, 12:50 PM

113 posts, read 549,782 times

Advertisements

I'm new to the area and am not happy with the recent letter I recieved banning water all summer for things such as:
watering lawns/gardens
washing a boat or car or camper
filling a swimming pool, or topping it off
washing a patio

This is a complete ban. The letter was so silly, calling it 2009 Lawn Liberation and how we "will have a feeling of freedom when we realize the time we spent watering and mowing our lawn can now be spent enjoying other summertime pursuits."

I don't appreciate the lack of information as to WHY this ban is neccessary and I really don't appreciate the silly letter that is propogandizing that this is really for our good so we have more time to play and also will save the planet from the evil gas emissions our lawn mowers put out.

Does anyone have any information about this ban? Was there a public meeting held that I missed?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 02:51 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,936,722 times
Not sure about the meetings (this was an act of your water authority), but I'm down in your area constantly @ the velodrome and heard others talking about this. Something about readying extra pumps to keep up with demand - those pumps are not operational right now and this is a pre-emptive measure.

I found you these links:
Water restrictions in 2 townships | 6abc.com - 5/20/09 - Philadelphia News - 6abc.com
Lehigh County Authority limited water use this summer -- themorningcall.com

Hope that helps!

Old 05-23-2009, 07:50 PM

10 posts, read 25,283 times
I would suggest that residents consider the installation of a cistern system or rainwater harvesting system. These systems can be installed to use solar energy and provide a source of water for irrigation and to support water features for landscapes. If designed properly these system could actually help reduce stormwater runoff and facilitate groundwater recharge.

[url=http://www.water-research.net]Drinking Water Testing Environmental Testing Lab Wilkes University[/url]

Old 05-23-2009, 07:51 PM

47 posts, read 161,989 times
I have it on pretty good authority that the spin put on this via the letter and press releases is incorrect. They want us to believe that due to the growth in the Macungie area there is not enough water to sustain all of our homes. The truth is that the water authority is selling our water to the bottling facilites (Sam Adams, Neslie, etc.) at a higher rate than what we pay as consumers. They then want to bring in Allentown water for our use.

It is not right, nor am I aware of any hearings for the public. This is a way to put money into the pockets of big business rather than provide normal public consumption of local water.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:33 AM

47 posts, read 161,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interpro63 View Post
I would suggest that residents consider the installation of a cistern system or rainwater harvesting system. These systems can be installed to use solar energy and provide a source of water for irrigation and to support water features for landscapes. If designed properly these system could actually help reduce stormwater runoff and facilitate groundwater recharge.

Drinking Water Testing Environmental Testing Lab Wilkes University
I have no problem moving towards a more eco-friendly system, but it does not solve the problem at hand. The Water Authority needs to STOP selling the water to a higher bidder and support the residents!

Old 05-24-2009, 02:36 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,936,722 times
I don't blame you for being concerned about these issues. I found the meeting schedule for the Authority (it seems as if they are one of these boards who likes daytime meetings....less accessible to working residents too), here's a link:
Lehigh County Authority: Meeting Schedule

Go to the meetings and voice your opinion/ask LOTS of questions

Old 05-24-2009, 03:07 PM

10 posts, read 25,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austere View Post

This is a complete ban.
It is not a complete ban. Look at:
The general website: 2009 Lehigh Lawn Liberation -

The pdf that actually contains the detailed rules: http://www.lehighcountyauthority.org...MT-Excerpt.pdf

Take note that if you have a newly seeded lawn you can water it:

Taken from the PDF:
Newly seeded or sodded areas during the hours of 5 p.m. to 9 a.m. by
means of a bucket, can or hand-held hose equipped with an automatic
shut-off.
Newly seeded or sodded areas can be watered during the hours of 7
p.m. to 11 p.m. by any means designed and operated to ensure effective
conservation.*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley