Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 08:58 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times

Advertisements

Isn't that just a few doors down from the Thai place? I haven't been there but a co-worker knew of both places and recommended them both. So far, we only tried the Thai.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 06:37 PM

97 posts, read 431,079 times
Near, but not on the same street--Thai is on Broadway on Indian is on 4th.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:09 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,141,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshan View Post
For vegetarians, there's also Nawab on the south side--Indian cuisine.

The buffet is not Vegeterian friendly. You are much better off going to the regular dinner. A veggie dish like Aloo Golob is around $9-$10. Compared to other dishes that include meat this is a good price. The buffet has a lot of chicken and sometimes lamb. While they do have the stuffed chick peas, naan bread, and salad offerings I believe a non meat eater does not get a great variety or value at the buffet.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:18 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,141,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Two places I can think of are the Thai restaurant we visited on the South side (on Broadway, I think) also a place called Wildflower. I haven't been there but my daughter has. Here's a paragraph from their myspace page, "The Wildflower Cafe is located at 316 S. New Street in Bethlehem, PA. We have live music 3 nights a week (BYOB w/ ID), the best open mic in town (Monday & Tuesday), an award winning vegetarian chili, and an atmosphere that could be considered an extension of your living room."

Umm, as to who the Air Product engineers are, I'm not sure what you are asking - names and phone numbers??

The Wildflower's future is up in the air. I hope it continues but there are some sad things going on behind the scenes. It would not be appropriate for me to elaborate any further.

For what it's worth my friend is in the Visual Communications dept. at AP.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:43 AM

5 posts, read 11,211 times
Thanks theshan, loose cannon and toobusytoday! Some good info.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:54 PM

21 posts, read 69,547 times
other than Musicfest, Bethlehem gets mentioned when the Eagles training camp opens up in July....there are several nice restaurants around LV(Melt and Blue) come to mind. Crocodile Rock club in Allentown can be a happening place...u always have South St in Philly too(about 1.5 hours away though) lots of clubs and dining there

Old 01-23-2008, 07:01 PM

5 posts, read 11,211 times
Default How about Slatington, PA?

How about Lincoln Manor apartments? The commute mounts to about 35 min /17 some miles to my work according to google maps. Is that bit too much with traffic? Anyone heard about this area? Again, in terms of crime, things to do ... OR am I better off looking into beth and allentown area?

Thanks and keep all the good info flowing in

Old 01-30-2008, 07:51 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,240,920 times
FWIW, when you do go to Philadelphia or New York, the trips aren't far - a little more than 1 hour to Philadelphia, about 1 1/2 hours or a bit more to New York. Trans-Bridge Bus Lines operates frequent bus service to midtown Manhattan (and also EWR and JFK airports) and Bieber Tourways has a handful of buses per day to Philadelphia. None of the Lehigh Valley cities currently have rail service to either Philadelphia or New York, but to my knowledge there have been some rumblings about starting service at some point in the future to either or both cities. That would still be many years off however.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:01 PM

24 posts, read 109,379 times
I moved to Allentown right after graduating college and lived there for three years. What I personally did was made friends at my job right away - just put yourself out there and you'll find there are a LOT of people your age in the exact situation you're in - and you'll form a close knit group of friends almost immediatly (at least thats what happened for me)

I did go out to bars with friends, and tho I don't consider myself into that scene, I still had a really great time. There are larger clubs in the City on Tilgman Street, like Croc Rock, and there used to be a cool outdoor place called Banana Joes, but they have since closed down. But maybe they'll reopen as something better.

I found Allentown and the area kind of boring a lot of the time tho because without the club scene, or going to the movies or out to eat, there isn't much to do at night there. The friends I mentioned before and I would take turns hosting dinner parties and stuff like that. It was a really great time and there are SO MANY young professionals in that area, you shouldn't have a problem finding freinds or a "scene" at all.

As for looking for places to rent, I'd recommend Craigslist, thats how I found all of my places, and how all of my friends found theirs.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:47 AM

24 posts, read 109,379 times
gtg174q,
If you're moving to the area work at Airproducts, I'd except you're in the cdp program - in which cause I would wait a couple of weeks, maybe stay in an extended stay hotel or something for a little after you start, because there are going to be a LOT of other cdp's at the Allentown AP. You can probably find a sweet room in a nice condo that them, or another young engineer would be willing to rent out, because thats what a lot of them do.

the CDPs have their own little subculture and become friends with each other very quickly, so I wouldn't be worried.

If you don't want to move in with strangers there are plenty of affordable apartments in Emmaus and Macungie, which is really close to the Airproducts complex. There is even one virtually right across the street. I'd go to apartments.com or rent.com and type in the area, that will give you the list - or you can check craigslist.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley