Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2010, 02:26 PM

8 posts, read 15,237 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! My husband and I are buying a home in this area. Our closing is on the 27th of next month. I was just wondering if anyone can give us some ideas of things to do in the area. We are having our first baby any day now, so family friendly ideas would be the best.

Also, we are going to try and get the home inspected next week. I have a suggestion from our realtor of Integra Home Inspection. Is anyone familiar with them at all?

This is not about Bethlehem, but the house that we are purchasing had a prior radon reading of 4.6. They did have this in the seller's disclosure. Does this mean that we cannot ask them to fix it if it comes back high again? It is something that we would definitely need to fix, but we were hoping it would come back within normal range this time, as the realtor told us that it might because it was so close to being at the 4 considered safe and the reading was taken in the middle of winter last time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 09:13 PM

63 posts, read 172,975 times
With a newborn, just sleep After that, there are parks, and storytimes, moms groups.

Never heard of Integra. We used Allied and while they seemed professional enough, they didn't catch everything.

If there is info that comes back from the inspection, then it becomes a point of negotiation. Seller's disclosure just means that they already knew about it and weren't hiding it from you. Radon seems to be worse in this area than any other I've lived. We have a removal system installed--not risking cancer.

And I assume you know better than to answer LL's question.

Best wishes on the new baby and the move!

Old 03-10-2010, 05:24 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
We had radon in this house as well as the last one we sold in Delaware County. Putting in a system to get rid of it here was covered under the home warranty that came with this house so we did not have to pay for it. We did not use a home inspection service so I can't help you with that. I am familiar with the names of both Allied and Integra but that's about it.

Congratulations on your new baby! You are going to have your hands full with the move and the baby but once Spring really hits and you get out and start exploring you might want to try this - MOMS Club, Bethlehem Township, PA or go here - Lehigh Valley Zoo - Smart Fun or here Welcome to Bethlehem Area Public Library or if you want a day of strolling around and shopping you could go to Main Street in Bethlehem Welcome to The Shoppes At The Main Street Commons or drive over the mountain and stroll around Welcome to The Promenade Shops at Saucon Valley here!

Welcome to the Lehigh Valley!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:17 AM

208 posts, read 651,080 times
We used Integrity Inspection when we purchased and were happy with them. We had radon which was also 4.6 when we were selling and the sellers requested we have a radon system installed. It cost us about $750 but was worth not losing the sale. Personally, if I were buying a home that had a reading over 2, I would request the owner install a system or give us a credit to install ourselves. JMHO

Best of luck to you and congratulations in advance on the new baby.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:08 AM

8 posts, read 15,237 times
Thanks everyone for the information. We absolutely plan to get a radon removal system. I will check with our home warranty as well, I am really not familiar with how it works. I am not sure how much it will be though, but I am hoping that it will be reasonable. There is a basement at the house, so I am hoping that works in our advantage as far as how easy it can be to put a system in. We bought this house the first day it came on the market and it was much, much nicer than any of the other houses in our price range and I am pretty sure that the owner's know that as they are super nice, but not very negotiable as far as lowering the price much. I would ask them to fix the radon, but I am not sure if they will, so we will see. It would be a pleasant surprise for them to take care of it, but they have been there for 7 years and not taken care of it themselves, so I am thinking that they might think it's silly for us to be making a big deal out of it just because of their opinion. We are going to get the tax credit and are planning on having some extra money in the bank, so we will definitely do it if they do not.

Thank you for the congrats on the baby! She will be here any day, I hope soon lol! I have already packed up our house for the most part here, so that I won't have to do too much when we are moving. It's so funny the way things work out. Our house sold after being on the market for a year and it sells as soon as the baby is coming. I am a little frazzled, but it's a good frazzled and I am very happy to be getting out of NJ as I hate the area that we live in tremendously. It will be a great change and we are so excited to be a part of a new community and meet new people and see new places.

Thanks everyone for all of your help/suggestions/congrats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley