Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2010, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,519 times

Advertisements

Are there any Former Long Islanders on this thread that have moved to Lexington? We currently live on the South Shore in Nassau County and are sick of the "hurricane threat" and the NYC "terror threat" and the high taxes and electric. How do you like Lex compared to Long Island? I keep reading about poor traffic...can anything be as bad as Sunrise Highway or the L.I.E. ??? How do the native Lex treat us former Nyew Yawkas? Can you recommend a Real Estate person? Can you recommend a neighborhood/decline a neighborhood? We would be looking at up to $150,000 for a home. Any other facts/opinions would be helpful !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 02:51 PM

969 posts, read 2,820,114 times
I do a lot in that price range. Let us know a little more about what you are hoping to find in the price range: Older or newer house? What kind of places would you like to be near. restaurants? Parks? Etc? We have a pretty well rounded group on here, so I am sure we'll be able to give you some ideas about where to live!

Old 09-20-2010, 02:52 PM

969 posts, read 2,820,114 times
Oh, I forgot I have some neighborhood reviews....some of them videos on my blog. Just click the B above my name!

Old 09-20-2010, 03:15 PM

508 posts, read 1,512,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Island View Post
Are there any Former Long Islanders on this thread that have moved to Lexington? We currently live on the South Shore in Nassau County and are sick of the "hurricane threat" and the NYC "terror threat" and the high taxes and electric. How do you like Lex compared to Long Island? I keep reading about poor traffic...can anything be as bad as Sunrise Highway or the L.I.E. ??? How do the native Lex treat us former Nyew Yawkas? Can you recommend a Real Estate person? Can you recommend a neighborhood/decline a neighborhood? We would be looking at up to $150,000 for a home. Any other facts/opinions would be helpful !!
I think Lexington gets a fair share of transplants but not so much from NY - typically the colder upper Midwest area so it's close to home but milder weather.

You will probably laugh at the traffic we complain about coming from LI. I would describe it as annoying traffic but not the high stress bumper-to- bumper 6 lane type traffic. Annoying because the infrastructure has not kept pace with the growth of the area & there aren't many options to get around quickly w/o having to sit at lights that are poorly coordinated. You drive 50 yards and stop. You drive 50 yards and stop.

In terms of how people are treated, I think the general rules apply to any new place you go. Give it a shot and don't go around constantly telling people how things are so much better back home. With a change like LI to Lexington, I would rent for a while & see how you like it.

It's pretty good quality of life and not a very stressful place to live. However, if you have a thing for big city action you will be disappointed and probably grow tired of Lex after a year or so. If you want something with a bit more action I would try Louisville (I have lived in both and like certain aspects of both).

Old 09-21-2010, 07:22 AM

74 posts, read 189,035 times
Hi, We are also on the south shore, Bellport and are moving out in Feb/March. (We are from Massapequa /Baldwin and husband is from Lynbrook). We are looking at Northern Kentucky or Southern Ohio. We have also lived in Savannah and I thought for us Lexington is too far south.

I am curious what drew you to the area? Have you been out there, family, job, etc? We were just there last week looking at houses. We don't know anyone there and my husband has a small business. We had been out there a few times for business and felt right about the area. We want to stay more north since we are used to a more liberal area like NY. We are also looking at the 150K range but more rural; no more suburbs!! What's your time frame?

Old 09-21-2010, 09:19 AM

844 posts, read 2,101,829 times
I think we would love to have a NY'er! Welcome!

Old 09-21-2010, 04:46 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,572,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelent View Post
Hi, We are also on the south shore, Bellport and are moving out in Feb/March. (We are from Massapequa /Baldwin and husband is from Lynbrook). We are looking at Northern Kentucky or Southern Ohio. We have also lived in Savannah and I thought for us Lexington is too far south.

I am curious what drew you to the area? Have you been out there, family, job, etc? We were just there last week looking at houses. We don't know anyone there and my husband has a small business. We had been out there a few times for business and felt right about the area. We want to stay more north since we are used to a more liberal area like NY. We are also looking at the 150K range but more rural; no more suburbs!! What's your time frame?
Northern Kentucky is not very Liberal. The area is heavily Republican territory, as is much of the Cincinnati metro area. Louisville might be a better fit for you, it has some very Liberal areas, which Cincinnati does too but not much in Northern Kentucky. Lexington is surprising quite Liberal as well. You might be surprised....

You also mention "no more suburbs," well that's what the majority of Northern Kentucky is. Boone County, which is in N KY, is one of the fastest growing counties in the state.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:04 AM

74 posts, read 189,035 times
We do need to be near Cincinnati Children's Hospital so Lex and Louis are out. We are looking in the more rural areas in N.K. as well as in Ohio, but still within and hours' drive of the hosp. We are trying to strike a balance of house, property, location, and demographic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Northern Kentucky is not very Liberal. The area is heavily Republican territory, as is much of the Cincinnati metro area. Louisville might be a better fit for you, it has some very Liberal areas, which Cincinnati does too but not much in Northern Kentucky. Lexington is surprising quite Liberal as well. You might be surprised....

You also mention "no more suburbs," well that's what the majority of Northern Kentucky is. Boone County, which is in N KY, is one of the fastest growing counties in the state.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:26 AM

146 posts, read 298,188 times
I'm a West Islip transplant, but it was many years ago. Been in the Lexington area for over 30 years now. Have to admit that I prefer living on the outskirts of Lexington. We live in Northern Garrard County and love it. It's a 30 minute drive to Lexington...4 lane most of the way and we don't hit any traffic until we reach Fayette County! To be honest, I remember Long Island traffic being much better than Lexington traffic, at least it seemed to move and you didn't have to stop at every traffic light like you do here.

The one thing I really miss, and still do after all of these years, is the food!!! Ypu'll find that the bakeries are very different and pizza is NOT NY pizza no matter what they tell you. lol Chinese restaurants cannot compare and don't look for a good old New York deli sandwich that is piled high with meat...just doesn't happen around here.

But, having said that...the only way I would move back is to visit my brother who still lives in West Islip and then I would only stay for a week! I love it here for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area