Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 11:36 AM

4 posts, read 16,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Girl View Post
So our house is finally on the market here and when we move to Lexington (probably in December) we will have no furniture. The furniture we have here is not worth the cost of moving so we are going to start fresh.

I am looking to decorate with clean lines, contemporary style, family-friendly (not fussy) design, and plenty of hidden storage to minimize clutter. I know that there is no Ikea in KY and that one is opening up sometime soon in West Chester, Ohio but there are 2 West Chesters and I don't know if it's the one that is 2 hours from Lex or 5 hours.

Is there some local treasure for this kind of thing? For the items that I actually buy new I want to be thrilled with the purchase. If we go with used furniture that we later replace, I'm not nearly as picky.

Thanks for any help.
OK! I'm biased! I admit it! You should consider buying Amish Furniture made in Ohio and Indiana. My store is Clear Creek Furniture, West of Waynesville, Ohio http://www.ClearCreekAmishFurniture.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 04:07 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Please consider vintage and antique furniture. You will find solid wood construction lasts far better than the particle-board used in most contemporary furniture, and investment/resale value is a real consideration. The Bluegrass has a number of antique shops and malls which handle furniture, along with auction galleries, and antiques are the ultimate recyclables, having stood the test of time, and they have a great deal of character and style.

Check out Mission/Arts and Crafts furniture, either original or reproduction, for the clean, sturdy, unornamented lines you prefer. These pieces wear like iron - my desktop computer rests on a dark oak Mission library table, c. 1910 and solid as can be. Its lower shelf provides convenient storage. You can find lots of bookshelves in this style.

Reproduction Shaker furniture may also meet your tastes - the original is far too expensive for most of us, but Shakertown at Pleasant Hill sells fine quality, accurate reproductions - very appropriate for Kentucky, too.

Another possibility, along with the handmade Amish furniture already suggested elsewhere in this thread, would be the solid wood furniture made in Campbellsville and Berea. It's not inexpensive, but again, is investment quality.

All of these potential choices will serve you far better than contemporary, mostly imported, particle-board pieces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area