Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 04:36 AM

458 posts, read 2,289,963 times

Advertisements

So our house is finally on the market here and when we move to Lexington (probably in December) we will have no furniture. The furniture we have here is not worth the cost of moving so we are going to start fresh.

I am looking to decorate with clean lines, contemporary style, family-friendly (not fussy) design, and plenty of hidden storage to minimize clutter. I know that there is no Ikea in KY and that one is opening up sometime soon in West Chester, Ohio but there are 2 West Chesters and I don't know if it's the one that is 2 hours from Lex or 5 hours.

Is there some local treasure for this kind of thing? For the items that I actually buy new I want to be thrilled with the purchase. If we go with used furniture that we later replace, I'm not nearly as picky.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 06:58 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,870,585 times
Hi Micah,
You can probably find the kind of furniture you like at Crate and Barrel on line. Even Pottery Barn has a website.
Good luck.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:01 AM

891 posts, read 3,052,745 times
The closest Ikea is in Indianapolis.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:20 AM

688 posts, read 3,038,334 times
Yes - they're building the new IKEA in Cincinnati (West Chester) and it should open next spring! <happy dance> And, usually that means you can get good shipping rates within a large area of the store, so I'm hoping it includes Lexington.

Trader Joe's is another place we make regular journeys to in Cincinnati.

The closest Crate and Barrel is in Indianapolis, though, and I haven't heard anything about a new one nearby. They do have a great online site, though! And there is a Pottery Barn in both Louisville and Cincinnati. I think, though, that neither of these will match the availability and pricing of the things you mentioned like Ikea would - basic family-friendly furniture and great storage at good prices are pretty much Ikea's niche. Can you hold out until next spring?

Old 07-16-2007, 09:32 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,936,480 times
Default One stop shop- Ikea.

Ikea has a very good web site. A lot of things can be ordered on line. Crate and barrel is a nice store , but , not the same kinda place as Ikea. Its worth a trip to the Ikea nearest to you. Make a list , draw out your room sizes, and be prepared to spend a full day at the Ikea store. Bring along a truck big enough for what you buy. Its worth the trip. You will save thousands, and , at the same time get your life organized.The minimalist lifestyle makes a lot of sense these days.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:31 AM

Thanks, all for the help! I can probably wait until Spring since we will be renting a furnished place (hopefully) initially and then buying our house once we get the lay of the land.

I appreciate the insight.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:37 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,739,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
The closest Ikea is in Indianapolis.
There is no IKEA in Indy and the company has no current plans to build there. As Nlscher noted, IKEA is building a store in Cincinnati's north suburbs, but the store will most likely not open until Spring 2008 (if things go as planned, and they often don't). The Cincy location was chosen because of its central location to three major cities : Indianapolis, Louisville, and Columbus, and two secondary markets in Dayton and Lexington. I would eventually expect Indianapolis, Louisville, and Columbus to get an IKEA, but that may be several years down the road unless Cincy sales outpace predictions.

As for Trader Joe's, the company has plans to open three metro Louisville locations, so folks in Lexington may utilize those stores as well.

Retail real estate the prize in Vegas

A lease has not been signed, but the company is in negotiations with the developers of Westport Village in Louisville's east suburbs. As you can see, this development already has several signed tenants:

Westport Village - Louisville's most gracious outdoor shopping, dining and gathering place

With regards to other retail, KY lacks places like Saks, Crate and Barrel, Nordstrom, and H&M. With the major expansion of Mall St Matthews and the major retail plans downtown, I would not be surprised to see Nordstrom, C&B, and H&M enter the Louisville market in the next 5 years. Lexington's market is currently much to small to land these stores, with the exception of H&M.

Finally, with regards to contemporary furniture, Louisville has several stores but many are very expensive (but also higher quality) compared to IKEA.

Scorpio

: : scorpio interiors : :

Contemporary Galleries

Contemporary Galleries : Welcome

The guy at Scorpio is really knowledgeable and helpful. Give him a call and check out his store. He may not have everything in stock, but he can help you order cool stuff. Contemporary Galleries is a little larger with more in stock, and tends to have cheaper stuff. Hope this helps.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
There is no IKEA in Indy and the company has no current plans to build there. As Nlscher noted, IKEA is building a store in Cincinnati's north suburbs, but the store will most likely not open until Spring 2008 (if things go as planned, and they often don't). The Cincy location was chosen because of its central location to three major cities : Indianapolis, Louisville, and Columbus, and two secondary markets in Dayton and Lexington. I would eventually expect Indianapolis, Louisville, and Columbus to get an IKEA, but that may be several years down the road unless Cincy sales outpace predictions.

As for Trader Joe's, the company has plans to open three metro Louisville locations, so folks in Lexington may utilize those stores as well.

Retail real estate the prize in Vegas

A lease has not been signed, but the company is in negotiations with the developers of Westport Village in Louisville's east suburbs. As you can see, this development already has several signed tenants:

Westport Village - Louisville's most gracious outdoor shopping, dining and gathering place

With regards to other retail, KY lacks places like Saks, Crate and Barrel, Nordstrom, and H&M. With the major expansion of Mall St Matthews and the major retail plans downtown, I would not be surprised to see Nordstrom, C&B, and H&M enter the Louisville market in the next 5 years. Lexington's market is currently much to small to land these stores, with the exception of H&M.

Finally, with regards to contemporary furniture, Louisville has several stores but many are very expensive (but also higher quality) compared to IKEA.

Scorpio

: : scorpio interiors : :

Contemporary Galleries

Contemporary Galleries : Welcome

The guy at Scorpio is really knowledgeable and helpful. Give him a call and check out his store. He may not have everything in stock, but he can help you order cool stuff. Contemporary Galleries is a little larger with more in stock, and tends to have cheaper stuff. Hope this helps.
Thanks, STX, I will definitely check those places out--at least for window shopping and ideas.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:13 PM

891 posts, read 3,052,745 times
My memory failed me, I don't recall why I thought there was an Ikea in Indy. Anyway, there is/was a store on Third St in Lex called Alteriors. I haven't noticed if they are still there but if so they carry contemporary furnishings.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
My memory failed me, I don't recall why I thought there was an Ikea in Indy. Anyway, there is/was a store on Third St in Lex called Alteriors. I haven't noticed if they are still there but if so they carry contemporary furnishings.
Alteriors apparently is still there. This is what they say about themselves on the downtownlex.com site:

ALTERIORS CONTEMPORARY FURNISHINGS
132 West Third Street
259-0867
Lexington’s premier source for the best in quality and affordable modern furniture, lighting and accessories.

Sounds like something worth checking out.

Thanks, Lexingtongal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area