Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:19 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times

Advertisements

Lexington: Rank 100 of 100. Louisville didn't fare much better at 81st place; Cincinnati, 76th.

Original source: The Most and Least Active Cities in America | Men's Health

Article: America's 'Most Sedentary' city is Lexington, Ky. while New York comes in 67th: poll

Story: Lexington Named Most Sedentary City In U.S. | LEX18.com | Lexington, Kentucky

Given Kentucky's sedentary culture and nearly complete lack of motivation for physical exercise, I'm utterly not surprised. At least Lexington and the Transportation Cabinet have installed more bike lanes throughout the city for interested bicyclists, so that's a tremendous start. On the other hand, Lexington may have the most pitiful metropolitan park system I've seen anywhere in the United States, and that's no exaggeration. I mean, sure, Raven Run is operated by Lexington and is very nice, but it's not really "city" as I see it b/c it's on the Kentucky River. Still, no amount of government park investment and "awareness campaigns" can truly motivate a whole neighborhood, census tract, city, or state of people to "get off the couch"; it's a cultural behavior and social influence thing that has to be changed by individuals themselves (I know that's how I've done it).

As a side point, my home-to-be, the Bay Area, scored remarkably well: San Francisco was #2, Oakland was #3 and San Jose was #17.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 06-27-2011 at 09:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 06:08 AM

638 posts, read 1,282,107 times
I am FLABBERGASTED! Of course I am new to the Lex area, but there is so much to do and see here.

EE, you are claiming the lack of parks to Lex's sedentary-ness?? Lex is home to THE most beautiful horse park in the country!! Which, I might add, hosted the World Equestrian Games, last year, first time in this country!

Hopefully, EE, come August, you will be too busy acclimating yourself to "The Bay Area", to bother any longer with "The Beautiful Bluegrass Area"!!

Old 06-28-2011, 07:56 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
So who's considered more active: a construction worker who works on his feet and relaxes on his ass or a desk jockey who works on his ass and relaxes on his feet?

Old 06-28-2011, 09:23 AM

146 posts, read 298,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
So who's considered more active: a construction worker who works on his feet and relaxes on his ass or a desk jockey who works on his ass and relaxes on his feet?

Thanks for the great giggle!

But, I have to add that it is not cheap to ride a bike...anyone checked out the prices of them lately!

The sidewalks in downtown stink in many places so walking is like taking your life and limb to the ER!

I do have a hard time believing that Lexington is the worst though.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:43 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,572,537 times
I had to LOL when I heard about this on WKYT yesterday. I seriously believe that some of the cities picked on some of these lists are randomly picked by people because they don't like a certain city for whatever reason or because they throw darts on a map.......

I'm sorry but there is no way they can know which city is the most sedentary.......

Old 06-28-2011, 04:51 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PONYPULR View Post
I am FLABBERGASTED! Of course I am new to the Lex area, but there is so much to do and see here.

EE, you are claiming the lack of parks to Lex's sedentary-ness?? Lex is home to THE most beautiful horse park in the country!! Which, I might add, hosted the World Equestrian Games, last year, first time in this country!

Hopefully, EE, come August, you will be too busy acclimating yourself to "The Bay Area", to bother any longer with "The Beautiful Bluegrass Area"!!
Lived here for a little over 6 years.

Never been there. No interest in horses or driving 50 minutes in order to get exercise. I use a treadmill. What's up there that's so beautiful except for a bunch of animals and manicured joke of an excuse for an "escape to nature"?

Old 06-28-2011, 05:42 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
I am FLABBERGASTED!
Not an unusual situation, I'm sure.

Quote:
Lex is home to THE most beautiful horse park in the country!! Which, I might add, hosted the World Equestrian Games, last year, first time in this country! "!!
Swell. So just what does that have to do with exercising people rather than horses?

Old 06-28-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Not an unusual situation, I'm sure.

Swell. So just what does that have to do with exercising people rather than horses?
+1

Both quotes are so true!

Old 06-28-2011, 07:15 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,572,537 times
I can picture Electric Ears, just always searching for anything negative about Kentucky and then running to City Data to post the latest negative crap. Dude, move already! Sheesh!

Old 06-28-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:

But who goes to the Horse Park? I mean, really? Certainly no locals just to exercise. People go there for "horsey" events and schools take children there for field trips, but it's certainly not a huge tourist draw (that would be Keeneland, off the subject of park space).

I will continue to frequent the Kentucky fora to review and comment on threads. I'm from here and will keep up with the shenanigans. Doesn't mean I want to live here at this stage of my life, although I realize that's a broken record at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbgal View Post
Thanks for the great giggle!

But, I have to add that it is not cheap to ride a bike...anyone checked out the prices of them lately!

The sidewalks in downtown stink in many places so walking is like taking your life and limb to the ER!

I do have a hard time believing that Lexington is the worst though.
Look @ Craigslist for a used bike. Plenty around as long as you're willing to do your own maintenance.

And yes, the sidewalks in DT Lex could be much, much better--and they are much, much better compared to what they were pre-Equestrian Games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area