Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 06:53 PM

442 posts, read 541,782 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend is coming down to Lexington for 7 days and I have no clue what there is to show an outsider here. I'm still a student, any activities should be pretty cheap. Recommendations for things for couples to do for fun on a budget?

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 10:51 AM

891 posts, read 3,058,333 times
Without knowing your likes and dislikes here is a beginning list. You might also check out Horse Capital of the World: Lexington, Kentucky Convention and Visitors Bureau for other ideas.

Weather dependent-Raven Run is a beautiful (and free) nature sanctuary. Easy trails and beautiful any time of the year. One trail ends at a ridge overlooking the Ky River, another goes to an old mill.

Triangle Park-ice skating-it's $10 for an hour and a half which includes skates.

Ashland-Henry Clay's home-100ft lighted living Christmas tree. It's believed to be the 2nd tallest living Christmas tree in America.

There is a house on Lakeshore that has lights synchronized to music. I haven't stopped this year yet but last year they had 40 songs. They have their own radio station that you tune to to listen in. There's a sign in their front yard with the station #.

The Ky Theatre is a great place to catch a movie. They usually have a mix of old and new releases and some art films.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:21 AM

414 posts, read 878,512 times
Kentucky Horse Park might be a good idea. The Drive-thru Christmas Light display is quite impressive.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:41 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,942,917 times
Check the paper for free and inexpensive Christmas concerts and programs - there are a number this week and next. Shakertown is lit up with thousands of candles in the windows this year, and admission to the historic village is reduced in the winter. A trip down to Berea might also be fun - you can visit many artists' and craftmen's studios and shops, catch a good meal at low cost at Papaleno's Pizza, and might luck into traditional music somewhere along the way - just inquire.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:18 PM

42 posts, read 86,193 times
You didn't say when your girlfriend is visiting but I assume it's soon during the holidays? I think you have been given so far some solid options.

I definitely will second the notion of several:

*Ice skating at Triangle Park. $10 for 90 minutes including skate rental.

*Raven Run Sanctuary. Free (and beautiful).

*Southern Lights at the Ky Horse Park. $15 dollars per car if you go during the week.

*Holidays at Shaker's Village. $7 for the Christmas tour.

*Kentucky Theater. $5 for Christmas classic series shown weekends in December. Showing such classicsn as White Christmas and It's A Wonderful Life.

Some other suggestions:

Lexington Downtown Arts Center has 2 theater shows in December. The 12 Dates of Christmas and David Sedaris's The Santaland Diaries. $15 for one or $25 for both shows. They do have student discounts and you are supporting the local theater scene.

UK Arboretum. Free.

USA Dance Bluegrass chapter has a monthly ballroom dance night open to the public. The first hour or so is a lesson and the rest of the night is dancing. It is $5 with student ID.

I also suggest just walking around downtown Lexington around the New Court House and Phoenix Park area and just looking at the holiday lights. Very pretty down there.

Pazzo's is a great place for pizza and drinks. Joe Bologna's is also good for Italian and is located in an old church. Both places are fairly reasonable as long as you don't go overboard with the drinks. If you want to watch a movie while you eat and have some drinks, then check out Movie Tavern.

Nightlife, go to the Penguin Piano Bar. Always a fun night there and you can also check out the bars/clubs in Victorian Square next door. I also love to take people to Charlie Brown's. Nice place to relax on old couches surrounded by old books for a few drinks or a quick bite.

Although not holiday related, I always suggest to out of town people a day at Lexington Green. You can watch a second run movie in the early afternoon. They also have 3D movies which is rare for a discount theater. I think even for a 3D movie, its 4 dollars per person. Non 3D, $1.50 or $2. Afterwards you can have some frozen yogurt at Fro-Jos. Walk over to Whole Foods where there is usually a free wine tasting on the weekends. Spend some time at Joseph Beth Bookstore which can keep you busy for hours. They even have a nice little bistro in there that is fairly cheap (or at least cheaper than Tony Roma's or the Regatta also by the bookstore). And you can finish the night off with a show at Comedy Off Broadway.

Lexington has a lot to offer if you look for it. And being so close to Louisville and Cincinnati which offers up ever more things, I am sure you can show her a good time in the area without breaking the bank.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:16 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,942,917 times
RHODUSZOE, you've been reported to the moderators.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:25 PM

146 posts, read 299,206 times
Yes, you have. I reported you first thing this morning. There is no need for rude comments when someone is honestly seeking sincere answers.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHODUSZOE View Post
ill do her
Damnit, B, is that you?

Old 12-14-2011, 06:09 PM

Great suggestions so far, everyone else!

Old 12-22-2011, 09:06 AM

Well, we couldn't find very much to do but she enjoyed her time here We spent a lot of time visiting with people and shopping. She's 20 so she can't really drink.

She also gained weight here from the restaurants. The upper midwest, where she's from, is full of rabbit-food eating sissies and I will never be sorry for saying that :P (I'm kidding!)

We also went up to Cincinnati twice. She loved the northern KY metro and the city. Her interest in architecture led her to make a lot of snide remarks about how sterile and bland Lexington is but she adored our neighbors to the north (Covington, Newport) as well as areas of Frankfort and Midway.

We didn't end up seeing Berea. We're not really "rural" types.

Last edited by homiej; 12-22-2011 at 09:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area