Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 09:27 AM

6 posts, read 7,670 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am being considered for a position at a non-profit within the Horse Park and I'd like to look for housing when I visit next. I currently live in a suburb of Chicago. I am almost forty as is my husband and we do not have children. We both enjoy the outdoors, I own a horse and he is a serious mountain biker. He is a carpenter and mechanic, so a home with character and outbuildings or space for all of his tools and projects would be important. Our budget is about 250,000. We'd really like something rural, with even enough space for me to potentially keep my horse and a buddy at home. I'd like for the commute to stay under 45 minutes. Is this a pipe dream? What communities should we consider when we visit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 12:38 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Check out northern Scott County. It's rural, wooded with some pastureland, hilly, lightly populated, yet close enough to I-75 at Georgetown to get you to the nearby Horse Park well within 45 minutes, unless there's an accident which shuts down the Interstate or there's a big snowfall. Rural areas are the last to get snow removal, but the Interstates get treated right away.

Fayette County zoning prevents the purchase of less than 40 acres of rural land, in an effort to preserve the endangered Bluegrass. However, adjoining counties' rules are less rigorous, and land costs are less.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:05 AM

969 posts, read 2,820,359 times
You can get to the horse park in 20-25 minutes from about any place in Scott Co. The interstate is big asset, but you also could travel through Georgetown and approach the horse park from Rt. 25. You are going to have more choices in Scott Co, but Bourbon Co/Paris might work for you too. How much land were you thinking?

I've recently had several clients looking in rural Scott Co. You should have lots of choices. The main problem my clients have had with rural homes is that the original owner build their "Dream home in the country" and it often isn't the same dream my buyer is having. You'll see a lot of short sales in rural Scott County too. Georgetown is a nice town. Not too small that you'll be coming into Lexington for everything.

I think I would first see what is available anywhere near 460 on the Frankfort side of town. 460 is a pretty straight shot, then you could either take 62/Payne's Depot to the interstate or on a pretty day enjoy the drive on the old part of Iron Works. The otherside of 460 is close to Paris. Nice land out there too. I have a client building out there right now. The benefit of that side is that the interstate is very close and you'd have the best shopping/dining in town close by in Cherry Blossom. The further north you go, the prices should be a little better.

Craigcreek is correct about the 40 acre minimum in Fayette County, but I just wanted to add that would be the minimum lot size that could be subdivided from a larger parcel of land. There are houses and vacant lots on smaller parcels that existed prior to that rule and do frequently come up for sale. That being said, you aren't going to get much in a rural area of Fayette Co for $250k.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:14 PM

57 posts, read 119,822 times
This is not a dream at all. You will be so surprised here in Kentucky. Let me say welcome (as I'm leaving) Hubby and I were from the subarbs of Chi-town. I lived in Joliet/Plainfield area he lived in Clarendon Hills.

Living in the Subarbs of Lexington and making it to work in 25 - 30 minutes a day is very very doable. In fact you could get a lot closer with a large amount of property and spend nothing like you are up there in Illinois. I would look around before you settle on anything.

I am to far south of where you want to be but a prime example for you I have a five bedroom, 3500 square foot house, 1970's excellent condition on and acre listed at 219,000. So much different than what you are use to I'm sure.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:28 AM

Thanks all for the informative replies. I can't believe this might even be possible. We live in Fox River Grove which is a far northwest suburb of Chicago and I couldn't even think of something like this without a two hour commute and even then, I'm not sure it could happen. I am thinking of no more than 10 acres, I would be afraid I'd be tempted to own more horses if it got too big. foe3643 and others, what is the property tax situation like in Scott County? That would certainly influence what size lot I could afford.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:37 AM

Here is a link to the Scott County PVA tax calculator. I would imagine most the places you would consider would be the "County Only" tax rate, which is $727.21 per $100,000 of assessed value. The highest tax district is only $870 per $100k in value per year.

I am sure this is MUCH lower than you are use to, but you might not get all the same services you currently do.

http://http://scpva.com/calculator.html (broken link)

Old 03-01-2012, 11:39 AM

Oooops.....have one to many http://'s (broken link) in my last post!

Try this: Scott County PVA

Old 03-01-2012, 12:32 PM

That is so helpful and honestly, astounding.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:14 AM

638 posts, read 1,282,263 times
Welcome to the Lexington area!! We just bought in the southwestern corner of Bourbon County(Paris) and are about 20 minutes from the Park. Our taxes are $1600 for a 3000+ sq. ft. house and 21 acres! And it's BEAUTIFUL here!!!
WOW, the Park!! What a nice place to work!! At lunch you can check out a horse show, eat lunch with the ducks by the stream, or visit the babies in the spring!! I'm green with envy!! Best of luck!!

Old 03-04-2012, 12:14 PM

Thanks, PONYPULR.
It's down to me and one other candidate for this job, they need someone ASAP and I could be there within a few weeks. It's something that fell into my lap, I hadn't considered a move before, but after all the helpful information from you all, even if they decide on the other candidate, I may keep looking for something in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area