Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 02:20 PM

12 posts, read 26,383 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am 33-male-single-doctor. Recently accepted a job in rural south-eastern KY. I will have the opportunity to work 4 days / week so I am looking to rent a nice place to live in closer cities for long weekends.

Obviously the choices that I have are Lexington vs Knoxville vs Huntington. All of these are about 2 to 2.5 hrs drive. I want to choose the nicest place no matter how expensive the living will be. I have been to Huntington several times and for some reason found it kinda depressing (am i wrong ?) I have lived in Lexington for an year during my internship and loved the walk from Hospital to downtown but that was 7 years ago, heard its getting very congested now ? No doubt I found Lexington women to be very attractive and yes living in Lexington was dirt cheap but I am not into smoking cigarettes, horse racing neither am i a big UKY basketball fan.
Would love to have your kind input on following questions: (Even if you put in a Letter Like K or H or L in front of these questions that would be a great help but some details will be highly appreciated)

1. Fewer street crimes and ghetto areas ( You cant blame a Detroiter)

2. More urban / modern / newer city

3. Ethnic and religious diversity ( Detroit suburbs were great in that sense)

4. Progressive and business friendly

5. Just friendlier people overall

5. Better dating scene / night life considering my age in 30s

6. Cleaner city / better infrastructure

7. Out door activities / Better Gym facilities / restaurants

8. Better airport - ease of access to Europe and Asia

I have researched a bit about these but would love to hear your experience. Thanks a ton once again and my apology If I offended anyone unintentionally.

Last edited by docsurg; 03-01-2014 at 02:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 03:53 PM

914 posts, read 1,984,280 times
Without question, mark Huntington off your list. As for Lexington vs Knoxville, that will be a harder decision. I lived in Lexington for three years. I've visited Knoxville a few times, but don't know it intimately. I currently live in Nashville. I loved my time in Lexington. It is generally a very progressive small city with good local restaurants, good shopping, good healthcare, and beautiful land around it. There is a strong social scene and an interesting culture with the horse industry being so prevalent. It is a very educated city, especially considering the state it is in, and it is growing. I don't think you would be disappointed at all if you moved to Lexington. Of course, you would also be happy in Knoxville too.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:21 AM

Thank you so much for taking out time to reply.
Would love to hear more between Lexington vs knoxville ... I do see some other similar threads but all of them are 5-6 years old so would love to get some updates

Old 03-03-2014, 02:49 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,573,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docsurg View Post
Hi everyone,

but I am not into smoking cigarettes
Umm, what does that mean? Is that supposed to imply that everyone in Lexington smokes "cigarettes"? Good Lord people....

Old 03-03-2014, 02:52 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,573,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_Hey View Post
It is a very educated city, especially considering the state it is in
Hmm, it appears that you are the one that's not educated. That is all.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Umm, what does that mean? Is that supposed to imply that everyone in Lexington smokes "cigarettes"? Good Lord people....
Thanks for your critique without any useful input.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:24 PM

409 posts, read 872,966 times
Question, about where in South East Kentucky? That would influence my recommendation. Most of SEKY would be more accessible to Lexington, but there are some parts that are more connected to Knoxville due to geography and road networks.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:10 AM

Thanks magex. Its near hazard.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:38 PM

9,684 posts, read 9,402,860 times
Either Lexington or Knoxville would be your best choices. They are growing and full of young singles. Knoxville is larger and offers more amenities, especially outdoor stuff, concerts, restaurants, and has a thriving arts scene. However, Lexington is closer to your job, more progressive, and closer larger cities of the Midwest. Cross Huntington out immediately.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:16 PM

914 posts, read 1,984,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Hmm, it appears that you are the one that's not educated. That is all.
That was a very enlightened response. Below are rankings of the most educated cities in the US.

The Most and Least Educated Cities | Men's Health - Ranks Lexington 16th out of 100 in the US and in terms of high school diplomas and college diplomas ranks ahead of places like San Fransisco and Boston.

Education - Greater Lexington Chamber of Commerce, Inc, Lexington, Kentucky Lexington is 12th in the country in terms of college graduates and ranks 6th in the country for percentage of residents with an advanced degree.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...8095-228247600. Ranked 24th for most literate city in the country.

Last edited by Hey_Hey; 03-05-2014 at 08:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area