Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 08:27 PM

605 posts, read 804,211 times

Advertisements

I'm currently planning a trip to the Lexington area, probably some time in May. I would love to just rent a car, pack up my dog, and take a trip to breathe in the fresh air and enjoy the scenic, bucolic beauty.

Do you guys have any suggestions for me (what to do, where to eat, where to stay [pet-friendly])? I would love some input, as I've never been to Kentucky before!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 08:29 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Lots of places in Lexington are pet friendly however, you may want to check with the rental company, their vehicles may not be dog friendly.

If you want to enjoy the scenic beauty drive around in your rental after you get there and stop wherever you think looks interesting.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:54 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
What types of activities are you interested in? Hiking, biking, restaurants, etc? KY has varied scenery. Around Lexington is the horse farm country, to the east are the bigger hills and mountains of Appalachia, the rest of the state is a mixture of rolling farmland and forested hills.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
What types of activities are you interested in? Hiking, biking, restaurants, etc? KY has varied scenery. Around Lexington is the horse farm country, to the east are the bigger hills and mountains of Appalachia, the rest of the state is a mixture of rolling farmland and forested hills.
Hiking and restaurants of those options!

But honestly, this just seems like paradise to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXc4qK5N294

Old 03-17-2015, 10:52 PM

14,760 posts, read 8,093,254 times
^If you like that, you will love the Bluegrass Region of Kentucky and all the beautiful horse farms.
(It has always been some of my favorite scenery to be sure.)

There are tours you can take in your own car, that have already been planned out, if you don't want to take one of the tour buses. Some of the horse farms will allow visitors (call ahead though).

Horse Farm Tours in the Horse Capital of the World: Lexington, Kentucky

Scenic Byways Reveal Kentucky Insights, Kentucky

You should stop by and visit the Kentucky Horse Park for sure. (A must for horse lovers!)

Kentucky Horse Park :: Lexington, KY

Whether you are driving to Lexington, Paris, Versailles, Georgetown or Midway...or any of the other towns, you will find some wonderful scenery and horse farms.

If you like to hike you will love it here,we are pretty much an outdoor state, with lots of forest, lakes and hiking.
The Red River Gorge is amazing and so beautiful...as is the Cumberland Falls, Natural Bridge, many places in Appalachia, Land between the Lakes, or the Daniel Boone National Forest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puy5...feature=relmfu

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 03-17-2015 at 11:02 PM..

Old 03-18-2015, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
^If you like that, you will love the Bluegrass Region of Kentucky and all the beautiful horse farms.
(It has always been some of my favorite scenery to be sure.)

There are tours you can take in your own car, that have already been planned out, if you don't want to take one of the tour buses. Some of the horse farms will allow visitors (call ahead though).

Horse Farm Tours in the Horse Capital of the World: Lexington, Kentucky

Scenic Byways Reveal Kentucky Insights, Kentucky

You should stop by and visit the Kentucky Horse Park for sure. (A must for horse lovers!)

Kentucky Horse Park :: Lexington, KY

Whether you are driving to Lexington, Paris, Versailles, Georgetown or Midway...or any of the other towns, you will find some wonderful scenery and horse farms.

If you like to hike you will love it here,we are pretty much an outdoor state, with lots of forest, lakes and hiking.
The Red River Gorge is amazing and so beautiful...as is the Cumberland Falls, Natural Bridge, many places in Appalachia, Land between the Lakes, or the Daniel Boone National Forest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puy5...feature=relmfu
Thank you so much for the suggestions!

Old 03-18-2015, 04:21 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
According to the state tourism web site there are 141 tours, trails, and byways in Kentucky. Should be a few on this list to interest you.

Bourbon Trail - Kentucky Tours - ATV Trails in Kentucky

I noticed one tour on the first page, of the Kentucky Bourbon Tour, where you can tour several distilleries (Maker's Mark, Limestone Branch, etc) and, on page 2, is the Wine and Spirits Circle Tour.

Enjoy Kentucky!

Old 03-18-2015, 11:56 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,945,731 times
I miss the rolling horse farms of central Kentucky every now and then.

Go drive down Pisgah Pike.

There's also Castle Post (now a bed and breakfast!). Right at the start of Pisgah Pike, actually.

From Pisgah Pike, hang a left onto Old Frankfort Pike. Take it until you reach the four way stop at Midway, then hang a left. Take it until it ends at US-60/62, and hang a left. Once you enter Versailles, turn right onto Elm Street (which turns into McCracken Pike). You'll pass Woodford Reserve Distillery. Afterwards, hang a left onto Watts Ferry (look for KY-1964). Following signs for KY-1964, you'll turn left onto Clifton Rd. Follow it down to the river, along it, and then back up the hill. Turn left onto Steele Rd. Continue on Steele Rd, across McCracken Pike and US-60. You'll dead end at Old Frankfort Pike. Hang a right and take it back into town.

Possibly one of my favorite loops west of Lexington.

North of town, you can't go wrong. Take Paris Pike north, and turn literally anywhere.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:44 AM

17 posts, read 35,404 times
Pisgah Pike is a great suggestion. On the south side of town, just about anything west of Harrodsburg (68) and south of Versailles Road (60) will have beautiful tree lines roads along rolling green hills behind traditional fences filled with foals and fillies. Look for Parker's Mill Road, Fort Springs Pinckard Road, James Lane, Woods Road and Pauls Mill Road (one of my absolute favorites in the area).

I took a bit of a drive through these areas and behind Keeneland on Monday. Here are some shots from the drive, mostly barns but some horses as well:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk8JUXyL

Lastly, you might plan your trip for a little later in the spring as the trees are still without leaves and the grass isn't as green as it will get.

---Mark

Last edited by mar_kelp; 03-19-2015 at 05:47 AM.. Reason: Added Paul's Mill pic

Old 03-20-2015, 10:40 PM

Thank you everyone for your wonderful suggestions! I'll have to look into all of them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area