Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 11:11 AM

3 posts, read 3,435 times

Advertisements

My name is Rachel and there is a possibility that my husband will be getting a job in Georgetown. So we would be moving our family of 10 from Northwest Indiana to KY. I'm looking for information on where to live or what areas to avoid. We don't really know anything about the Lexington area. We have lived in the suburbs so far but we're open to city life or even a small homestead- it all depends on what we can afford! A few years ago when we needed a bigger house for our growing family it was very clear that in our price range we could afford a decent sized house in a subdivision or a too small fixer upper with land. We went for the indoor space. We would LOVE acreage and a big enough house, but I don't know if that's attainable around Lexington at our price point. Here's some info that would perhaps help you give us some guidance
- we'd be looking at houses around $300,000
-we homeschool our 8 children (ages 9 months to 14 years)
-here's what we NEED in a house- 5 bedrooms, 3 baths, atleast 3000 square feet, a separate homeschool room, large dining room.
-here are some things we'd like- good sized yard (or acreage), close to library, shopping and most importantly church (probably Tates Creek Presbyterian or Christ Covenant Presbyterian), a pool or community pool, a homeschool coop close by.
-bonus things we would love- bike trails, yarn shop, target, trader joes, golf course(s)

Also, we are currently living less than an hour from Chicago and go into the city frequently so we appreciate being close to great museums, etc

If living in the city of Lexington with a large family is not affordable, not safe, not practical, please share your thoughts! If acreage and a big enough house is not in our price range in a decent enough area, let me know. I'm open to your help!
Thanks!!

Last edited by raisingolives77; 12-30-2015 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: to add detail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 05:50 PM

14,768 posts, read 8,099,433 times
Since I am have never been in the market for such a large home before, I wasn't sure...but it looks doable...after a quick internet search (but alas a quick internet search is never anywhere as good as some guidance by a knowledgeable real estate agent, so take it with a grain of salt~) If you are wanting a lot of acreage, I do think you will have to check outside of Fayette County/Lexington.

5 Bedrooms, 4 baths, over 4300 sq ft...finished basement could be used for homeschool area.

4452 Turtle Creek Walk, Lexington, KY 40509 - MLS# 1517878 | CENTURY 21

6 Bedrooms, 4 Baths, 4,000 sq ft. -nice landscaping and playground area (has bonus room and family room that could be used for home school area.)
760 Winter Hill Lane, Lexington, KY 40509 - MLS# 1513059 | CENTURY 21

here is a street view link.

Here.

Here is a Lexington home in Chilesburg with 5 bedroom, 4 baths and over 4,000 sq ft. (a finished basement that might work as home school area.)

4452 Turtle Creek Walk, Lexington, KY 40509 Home For Sale

But Georgetown itself would probably have better prices, and more bang for your buck (or at least I would imagine.)

103 Whistler Ct, Georgetown, KY 40324 Home For Sale

130 Kingston Dr, Georgetown, KY 40324 Home For Sale

138 Coal Ridge Ln Georgetown, KY 40324 Home For Sale

Old 01-01-2016, 05:53 PM

14,768 posts, read 8,099,433 times
We have a Target and Trader Joe's in my area...and golf courses and bike/fitness trails here and there.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:31 AM

638 posts, read 1,281,742 times
I have noticed that Clark County gets you the best "bang for the buck". If you stayed close to the town of Winchester in Clark County, you would still be quite close to all Lex has to offer as far as shopping and entertainment.
I'm in Bourbon County and that too, is a short ride to the center of Lex or even shorter to Hamburg, one of the malls in Lex.
Enjoy your search, 77, and welcome to the beautiful Bluegrass!!

Old 01-02-2016, 10:05 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,891,510 times
While Winchester is a lovely town, living there would add considerably to the daily commute to Georgetown. It is about eighteen miles east of Lexington while Georgetown is twelve miles north. However, Interstates 64 and 75 do connect Winchester and Georgetown.

I also think your budget would go farther in Georgetown. It has some of the amenities you seek, while Lexington has most of the others: bike trails, canoeing, public pools, Trader Joe's , golf courses, yarn shop, small museums, the Kentucky (State) Horse Park, universities and colleges, good public libraries, an active home school association, etc. are all to be found in Central Kentucky.

Also, if you look in the rural area just north of Georgetown, you may find less expensive properties. This area is hilly and much of it is wooded, unlike the rolling, pastoral Inner Bluegrass closer to Lexington. I have friends who reared their five children in a house they designed and built in this area - they have several acres, some cleared, which would work for gardening if they chose. Other friends live on similar property in this same area, in a modern log house they had built, but their two children were almost grown when they moved in. Land in this area is much less costly than in Fayette County, and I think building restrictions are fewer.

Good luck with your search. Making an advance trip to check out Georgetown and Lexington would be strongly advisable, if you can swing it.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:08 AM

638 posts, read 1,281,742 times
Apologies. Didn't realize Geo'tn was the job location!

Old 01-08-2016, 09:10 AM

969 posts, read 2,819,302 times
Scott County has tons of little rural neighborhoods. $300k is a good budget for that. I just sold a house on an acre that met all your criteria to a family with 4 kids for $290k in Coal Ridge Estates.....closing on it today in fact!

You won't get much of a yard in Lexington unless you go for an older house or get lucky.

5 bedrooms may be a little tough unless you mind one of them being in a basement.

Ball Homes does have a plan called the Charleston that has 4 bedrooms up and has an option to have a bedroom and full bath downstairs. That plan is 2800-3000 square feet depending on options. It might be possible to find one that has that option.

To make it easiest to get to Georgetown from Lexington, I would suggest either around Hamburg or Masterson Station since both have easy interstate access. I live near Hamburg and can be in Georgetown in 20 minutes easily. If you lived on the south end of Lexington, it might be 45 minutes.

Old 01-19-2016, 04:25 PM

146 posts, read 297,911 times
Hi Rachel! A friend of mine just listed his home in Georgetown and I think it might work for you. The only reason he is moving is because the home (one he dearly loved) that he lived in with his ex is now his again! He hated leaving it but had to due to the divorce and he is happy again.

This home has been well taken care of, new roof, new furnace, etc. He is a very responsible owner and has enjoyed living in this quiet neighborhood but he is following his dreams. He gardens and the large yard has plenty of room. The downstairs area is large with a separate kitchen area and plenty of room for homeschooling...fireplace included! The kitchen is large with a very big dining area...plenty of room for 10! You are not far from downtown Georgetown, I would guess maybe 5-6 miles. Easy access to main highways while still getting that country living feeling.

The great part...it's way under your budget at $207,000! And, you get two kitchens! Granted, it does not have three baths but that could easily be fixed with the savings in the asking price!

I am not a realtor and gain nothing from telling you this. I just happened to read your post and heard that my friend listed his home at the same time...it seemed like a perfect match!

You can scroll through and see the home here... http://www.homes.com/property/108-ga...-600032394451/

Good luck in your move and search.

Last edited by herbgal; 01-19-2016 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: Adding new information

Old 01-23-2016, 05:49 AM

146 posts, read 297,911 times
Never mind about my friends home...the second person who looked at it bought!

Old 01-25-2016, 06:00 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,891,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbgal View Post
Never mind about my friends home...the second person who looked at it bought!
The OP has not acknowledged any responses, nor has she returned since her initial and only post. Probably forgot all about posting here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area