Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2018, 09:59 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times

Advertisements

I'm not asking you to watch every video!

I've watched a few showing Ellesmere Park, Fayette Park and Hampton Court areas and just want to narrow things down a bit to watch the most relevant ones. Some don't have titles but are identified in the first minute or so of the videos or you might recognize the places just from the photos.

Which areas would have cheaper apartments within a couple of miles of shops and are walker friendly?

This is a long shot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 04:30 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
I see no videos or photos....

Old 05-13-2018, 05:00 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
All three are pretty close - Fayette Park and Ellesmere Park are off of North Broadway, and Hampton Court just a couple of blocks west of Fayette Park. All three are very lovely historic neighborhoods, within walking distance of downtown if you're a walker. I'd say they are comparable, though Hampton Court has some apartments (which may have been converted to condominiums - but they started out as early 1900s apartments). The other two are all individual houses, I believe.

This area is near Transylvania University - most students there either live in dorms or commute, but there are a few student apartments and other rentals in the area.

Downtown has little retail these days - it's mostly businesses and restaurants. There is a Saturday Farmers' Market on the old courthouse square, but there are no supermarkets nearby.

There is a dollar store across Loudon Avenue on N. Broadway, but the neighborhood is sketchy - lots of panhandlers - and the Hope Center (for homeless men) and several rehabs are also on Loudon.

In fact, the entire area can quickly shift between beautifully restored and maintained million dollar Victorian mansions - and shotgun houses, some of which were originally home to the servants who worked in those mansions.

I'd suggest you visit in person instead of relying solely on videos. That said, I do have a dear friend who grew up in one of these "parks", and another good friend whose grandparents lived there. These three neighborhoods are tight-knit and people look out for one another. But you're still going to have vagrants, the homeless, people with substance abuse and panhandlers nearby in greater number than elsewhere (these categories overlap), and the crime rate reflects that.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:58 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
I know the areas that you mentioned have some beautiful, old and historic homes.
Crime safety wise I am not really sure.(A lot depends on where you are coming from...if you
come from a really large, major U.S. City....everyplace in Lexington will probably seem comparatively safe (although our Mass Transit (lextran) will probably seem lacking to you...if you come from a rural area or small town then some areas might seem crime ridden to you, but
the Mass transit might be considered great in comparison.)

This site has some unique places....if you google the addresses you can often find out more pictures and information on property.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...57734/property

also you might want to check out:
https://hotpads.com/lexington-ky/houses-for-rent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area