Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2019, 06:42 PM

13 posts, read 18,086 times

Advertisements

I've read some of the relevant posts, but none recent and none that really spoke to what I think we want....so....

We've lived lots of places so far, and the next adventure is Lexington, Ky area. Per the sticky's standard questions:

We're open to Lexington and the areas West of there. We're actually here now for a four-day weekend visit. We've also passed through for day-visits before. I think we have a taste for the place but not an in-depth understanding of it.

We plan on moving next summer sometime and are coming from Pittsburgh. Option to rent before settling is available, but we'd want to narrow in on the school at least. The move is career-related and I'll be working in Frankfort, while my wife will probably transfer to the local Wholefoods market in Lexington.

We're looking to buy a house, 3 bed, 2 bath, at least 1800-ish square feet. We want to stay within our means; I think our budget is 300K, but preferably under <275K. So far it appears this isn't hard. Schools are a priority for us. Ideally we'd want walkable areas. By that I mean you can actually walk to somewhere, restaurant, bar, whatever...not walk to the other side of the neighborhood but then need a car to get out of the development. Enough ground for kids to play and have a garden would be ideal. Most of the places we've lived you can have some but not all or most of these. Lexington might be a better all around deal though?

Obviously married, 2 kids currently at 3rd and 5th grade. Prefer public, and prefer some social and economic diversity. Where we are now is homogenous and exclusively upper-middle to upper-income. If that can be avoided we'd like that.

What's everyone's opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 08:54 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Do you prefer newer houses or are you okay with older houses that are well-maintained and perhaps updated? If it's the latter, the Southland area has much of what you seek: three bedroom houses with one and a half or two baths, good-sized yards with mature trees, good schools (public, private and parochial) within walking distance, shopping and restaurants in the nearby Southland shopping center, and parks and churches to boot. Prices would be very right, too.

Chevy Chase also meets this description - except for the price. Houses are very pricey here due to the desirability of the location and the quality of the schools.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:13 AM

13 posts, read 18,086 times
Older and well-maintained might actually be better on a case-by-case basis.

A lot of established neighborhoods have some character. We'll drive through those areas today. Thanks!

Old 01-19-2019, 09:59 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
The streets off of Southview have houses like I described - streets between Clays Mill and Harrodsburg Road have more modest homes. There are also nice bungalows, Cape Cods, and modest Tudors close to Lafayette High School, on the north side of Southland Drive.

Chevy Chase houses are almost all unique, but are the same scale and made of congenial materials (mostly brick, with some stone and a few frames) which adds to the charm of the neighborhood. Chevy Chase began to be developed in the early 1930s.

A cold, rainy January day like this one doesn't exactly show off Lexington at its best, so if something catches your eye now - it's likely to be even more to your liking when spring arrives and green replaces all the gray currently with us.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:45 AM

5 posts, read 4,027 times
If you will be commuting to Frankfort, and your wife to Lexington, maybe Versailles would be the best choice for you. That way, you are close to both towns. Anything outside of Fayette county will be much cheaper....you can get more for your buck that way. My daughter lives in the Southland area of Lexington and my grandchildren go to Clays Mill and Jessie Clark.....listed as some of the best schools in the state. I grew up in that area. My mother lives in the Chevy Chase area and the property there is much higher priced, many of the residents have lived there for decades and are retired. Commuting to Frankfort from the Chevy Chase area would be a challenge. Hope you find what you are looking for, Lexington is my hometown, but I live in a surrounding county now, on a farm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area