Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 06:54 PM

1 posts, read 16,920 times

Advertisements

My husband has been relocated to Lexington, KY, and I would like to know what areas/subdivisions are safe to live in. My price range for a home is approx. $140-$165. We have 2 children, whom I plan to home school. I found a home in Lansdowne, the SE side of Lexington. What is that neighborhood like? Would I have to park my car in the garage? Can I take my kids out for a walk, etc. What other neighborhoods should I look at?I don't mind older neighborhoods. The school system isn't as important because I plan to home school. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 08:07 PM

218 posts, read 637,318 times
Lansdowne runs the gamut from large lots and no sidewalks, through smaller lots, duplexes and sidewalks to townhouses and apartments nearby. The larger lots are inside the circle and the smaller are outside. Neighborhood characteristics are different for both.

A little bit more info please.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:09 PM

168 posts, read 787,751 times
You can always look at the Crime Map for Lexington, KY.

I posted it in an earlier thread in the "lexington, ky" forum, or you can google crime map in lexington, ky.

Good luck on your move!

Old 11-10-2008, 08:14 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,055,527 times
Southland is good, safe, walkable, has plenty of parks, a good pool, and is within your pricerange. Good community cohesiveness, etc. Houses are mostly 3-4 BR from the 1950's, very solidly built.

Safe, safe, safe.... friendly... convenient.... and actually the schools are decent, which is good for resale/backup plan.

It also has a farmer's market, a local grocery store, and live bluegrass music on Tuesday nights.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:15 PM

969 posts, read 2,820,359 times
There are very few neighborhoods as a whole in your price range that I would be concerned about. The busy streets through any neighborhood always have more crime. I would stay away from streets that bring in a lot of non-neighborhood traffic. I lived on a nice street that was near the corner of a busy street. ALL THE TIME people were getting pulled over by the cops. We had 2 people get arrested right in front of our house!

If you want to tell more about what part of town you need, schools, etc., there are plenty of people on this forum that will give you advice.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:15 PM

822 posts, read 3,003,253 times
One option is Garden Springs; also, there is a little gem of an area that is probably considered part of Southland which timelesschild recommended. Anyhow, it is off Clays Mill near Lafayette High School (zip 40503 I assume); one street is Woodbine. Landsdowne typically has a really good reputation, in a great part of town, good schools, but there might be parts or pockets that aren't nice, not sure.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:22 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,055,527 times
Yes, yes. Great idea, blossom! I think it is called Chatham Village - Woodbine and McCubbin(g) are two of the most picturesque streets ever, and then Reed Lane and Springhill Drive are good too. Very, very pretty and very convenient. 40503 is correct.

Not crazy about the schools - Picadome and Jessie Clark - although Lafayette is a good solid school with arts and engineering magnets. Lots of private school options nearby. Again, good to know for backup plan/resale.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:11 PM

822 posts, read 3,003,253 times
Wow, that is interesting about the schools. I have heard a lot of good things about Picadome, but I have no personal experience and I've definitely found that people have all kinds of experiences at different schools. I keep thinking that in this price range, the safest bet (in terms of investment and safety) would be either 40503, generally speaking, or 40514, generally speaking.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:37 PM

891 posts, read 3,053,636 times
I don't personally know anyone with a child at Picadome but I do know they have scored over 100 on the CATS tests for the last couple of years. Pretty good indication of them being on the right track.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:03 PM

2 posts, read 5,331 times
Can anyone tell me about the Whitfield Dr area in Lexington? We are moving from the Tampa Bay area and have a son with autism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area