Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 03:02 PM

64 posts, read 307,751 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are also looking at relocating to the Lexington area. He is a Berea graduate and really misses the place. I'm a California native but the cost of living is so crazy here that he's convinced me to move.

Thanks for the links that you gave Steve below. How are folks in KY handling all the people relocating into your neighborhoods? I know in Oregon and North Carolina, the locals really hate us. Even here in Sacramento, the locals are all being pushed out of the area by people coming from the SF bay area and there is some real underlying hostility.

How is UK to work for? I'm currently a grants analyst for a UC campus and I'd like to stay in the same field of work - publically funded research administration.

Also, how is the area around UK? We'd be renting at first to get a feel for the area but will certainly buy down the line. We're in our late 30s with no children so we don't have to worry about schools.

I know I'm double posting but I think my questions were getting lost on another thread. Thanks in advance for any and all answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 04:12 PM

458 posts, read 2,290,515 times
I look forward to hearing what posts this thread generates! We are planning on relocating to Lexington from Massachusetts, but are also hoping that my in-laws might join us, too, from Southern CA!

We visit Lex for the first time in May and can hardly wait.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:03 PM

Default April visit

I bought plane tickets already. We'll were scouting all over in TN, KY, and southern IL, I'm just really looking forward to seeing the county. My husband waxes poetic about the place.

We'll be there in time for the 3 day event at the end of April and I'm hoping to schedule a tour of the U of K campus. I'm looking forward to seeing Berea and Tatter Knob (did I spell that right?).

Old 02-19-2007, 03:41 PM

850 posts, read 3,159,019 times
Okay guys - here is the honest truth - we have such an influx of people relocating right now that it is unreal - and I have not heard any complaints - at the stores, the churches, the businesses - everywhere I have gone, people are more than helpful in making your transition as easy as possible.

Now - there may be older folks who grumble about the 'outsiders' in town - but that is becoming less and less.

My generation (40...ish) is tickled to death to see you come on down!

Your relocation is forcing new housing, new jobs, new businesses, better/bigger schools, better roads, etc. It is a GOOD thing.

The small town I live in is great - but for years we were stuck in a rut. Thanks to people moving just a few cities over - we are finally beginning to grow. I-65 runs through our town - and until about 10 years ago or so, you could get off, but not back on. A 'discouragement' for others to stop.

I was just saying today I would love to work at the welcome center on I-65 just so I could direct people and help them to feel at home. The majority of us here feel that way.

You are as welcome as daffodils in spring - and don't give it another thought!

You will be a 'hillbilly' you know - but you're in GOOD company!!! lol!

Old 02-21-2007, 08:08 AM

190 posts, read 812,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renngrrl View Post
I bought plane tickets already. We'll were scouting all over in TN, KY, and southern IL, I'm just really looking forward to seeing the county. My husband waxes poetic about the place.

We'll be there in time for the 3 day event at the end of April and I'm hoping to schedule a tour of the U of K campus. I'm looking forward to seeing Berea and Tatter Knob (did I spell that right?).
nope, it's Tater Knob! LOL

Old 02-21-2007, 08:14 AM

190 posts, read 812,353 times
Make sure when you visit Berea to go to the Artisan Center, Olde Town Berea, and the Boone's Square Shops. The campus is beautiful (especially in April and May). If you are visiting Tater Knob Pottery, also check out Bybee Pottery (http://www.bybeepottery.com/history.htm (broken link)) which has been in operation since 1809! It's about 15 miles from Berea, right here in my home town of Waco, and is definitely worth the trip, especially when you consider that the wares they make are being made the same as they were then! Here's a helpful link with directions, hours, etc. http://www.kaht.com/multiple/bybee1.htm

Have fun on your trip-and don't forget the Mountain Mushroom Festival, the last weekend in April in Estill County (1 county over)!

Old 02-26-2007, 02:55 PM

70 posts, read 206,411 times
Honestly, if you want to rent in Lexington, don't look at the houses close to campus. They will be higher priced because most of them have several bedrooms and are better suited for college students plus they seem to go quicker. If you look at areas off campus (out of walking distance) you'll have a better selection IMO. You also have to consider the noise factor. My mother had a house close to campus and all the late night revving of motors and kids having a good time walking up and down the sidewalks can get on your nerves (at least it did her, lol).

People in Lexington are used to having 'outsiders' move into the area. There is a lot of coming and going with college students, people relocating due to jobs, etc.... and I have not experienced any negativity in that aspect.

If you want to work in the same field here as you do in CA don't be shocked at the difference in pay grade. I know a lot of people will be floored to receive several thousand dollars less for the exact same job they held in another state but you also have to consider the cost of living is a lot less here than in CA. I used to work at U.K. and was very pleased with the treatment employees received.

Old 02-26-2007, 04:00 PM

85 posts, read 405,938 times
As with all cross country moving there will be a period of adjustment for you.
Any place down South is good. Lex. is an up and coming destination for many couples.
You are about an hour from Cincinnati and a few minutes from gorgeous mountain scenery!
Good luck.

Old 02-28-2007, 03:09 PM

Thanks for all the advice.

The DH and I has settled on the southern part of town but I'd still like to be closer in to the school. I like a more urban feel.

As for jobs, UK pays better then UC for my line of work - go figure >; )

Old 03-01-2007, 07:57 AM

850 posts, read 3,159,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renngrrl View Post
Thanks for all the advice.

The DH and I has settled on the southern part of town but I'd still like to be closer in to the school. I like a more urban feel.

As for jobs, UK pays better then UC for my line of work - go figure >; )
Really? That's amazing - I mean given the location - etc. - I wonder if that is true for other careers as well - not just with the universities???

May have to look into that. The Lou. market is sluggish, but seems to be picking up a t-a-d...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
View detailed profiles of: