Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2023, 06:50 PM

14,767 posts, read 8,097,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'm usually left wondering what the big picture is. If there were 44 homicides, how many shootings and stabbings were there where people ended up not dying? Double that or triple that number? It's only luck and good doctors that save you if you're shot and don't die. Just counting homicides doesn't give the whole story. A total of homicides and attempted homicides would give a clearer picture.

Sure. Of course if you follow the news, we know there were more than 44 shootings in Lexington (and even 44 is way too many!)
I googled assault with a firearm in Lexington in 2022 and here is the result - 116!!!

https://www.lexingtonky.gov/shooting-investigations

I am having trouble finding the number of stabbings...

I was just answering the post asking the number of homicide victims in Louisville, then after googling that I became curious and decided to google Lexington homicide victims.

Quote:
What was the total number of murders in Louisville in 2022? Anyone know? Was it more than 2021?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2023, 04:30 PM

974 posts, read 517,163 times
I like to go to several different websites to get an idea of crime in cities, they tend to average each other out. My main one is called Neighborhood Scout, it breaks crime down into different categories and rates the cities in terms of violent crimes. I was seriously considering moving to Lexington because the crime seemed less than where I am now in Little Rock, and the city does have a lot of amenities for a senior like myself that is on Social Security. But I decided to stay within the Deep South because that's my home culture, and I know nothing about living in Kentucky.

It's good to see people talking about all this though. There are certain city forums here where the Boosters have never heard of a crime, or at least that's what they claim, even in very dangerous cities. Not talking about is not a good way to go, it should be openly discussed, and it should be brought to the attention of city officials no matter where one lives. We can vote people in, or out, so it gives the regular citizen some say so in their towns.

Old 02-17-2024, 10:04 AM
on3

498 posts, read 383,859 times
Just passed through lexington. I had to give a few Boyd Crowder looking individuals my Raylan Givens stare. Not gonna lie. Stay safe out there!

Old 02-17-2024, 03:13 PM

Still, Lexington is the safest city that I have ever lived in. I feel very safe here.
Of course the other cities that I have lived in were Louisville, Baltimore and Miami!
I also lived in a small town in Connecticut, not too far from NYC - but I was too young to remember a lot about that.

Seriously the only burglary that we have had in our neighborhood or the adjacent neighborhood was over 30 years ago.
(The resident was home at the time, woke up came down stairs and shot at the burglar. None since then.) I have been known to go out at all hours, to run to the store or just sit on the patio and am not in the least afraid.
There are neighborhoods here that are not that safe though. My husband is an ex-Police officer and we know that when you move, you
take caution when picking out a new home and neighborhood. Every place has safe and not safe areas.

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 02-17-2024 at 03:25 PM..

Old 02-17-2024, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by on3 View Post
Just passed through lexington. I had to give a few Boyd Crowder looking individuals my Raylan Givens stare. Not gonna lie. Stay safe out there!

LOL.
That was a great show though, no?

Old 02-21-2024, 04:09 PM

5 posts, read 1,216 times
I only recently moved to Lexington (from Louisville) and live near UK's campus so take this with a grain of salt. While I haven't seen or witnessed any violent crime, I've noticed that in the past 2-3 years the amount of homeless people and "junkies" in the city has seemed to increase and match many smaller big cities, like St. Louis. This is shocking to me, as I remember driving to Lexington with my family as a kid and being surprised how clean it was. Just walking downtown I've started to see drug deals outside bars, and no one seems to mind, probably a symptom of the college town nature.

Also, I have seen a lot in the news recently about cartel presence in Kentucky, specifically Lexington. I think I-75 going from Miami to Detroit and I-64 going from St. Louis to Eastern VA has made Lexington a bit of hot spot, for drugs and money related crimes. Driving through parts of Lexington, like Nicholasville Rd and parts of New Circle Rd, you can see many stores in strip malls that seem prime for money laundering or trafficking operations. This has definitely affected the drug presence in Lexington, but also the opioid crisis as a whole across places like KY and WV (which I-64 also goes through). I attached some links down below regarding this issue.
https://lexingtonky.news/2023/10/11/...elatively-low/
https://thefederalnewswire.com/stori...artel-activity
https://www.kentuckytoday.com/state/...022fa848b.html

Old 03-01-2024, 07:39 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Rapscallion View Post
I only recently moved to Lexington (from Louisville) and live near UK's campus so take this with a grain of salt. While I haven't seen or witnessed any violent crime, I've noticed that in the past 2-3 years the amount of homeless people and "junkies" in the city has seemed to increase and match many smaller big cities, like St. Louis. This is shocking to me, as I remember driving to Lexington with my family as a kid and being surprised how clean it was. Just walking downtown I've started to see drug deals outside bars, and no one seems to mind, probably a symptom of the college town nature.

Also, I have seen a lot in the news recently about cartel presence in Kentucky, specifically Lexington. I think I-75 going from Miami to Detroit and I-64 going from St. Louis to Eastern VA has made Lexington a bit of hot spot, for drugs and money related crimes. Driving through parts of Lexington, like Nicholasville Rd and parts of New Circle Rd, you can see many stores in strip malls that seem prime for money laundering or trafficking operations. This has definitely affected the drug presence in Lexington, but also the opioid crisis as a whole across places like KY and WV (which I-64 also goes through). I attached some links down below regarding this issue.
https://lexingtonky.news/2023/10/11/...elatively-low/
https://thefederalnewswire.com/stori...artel-activity
https://www.kentuckytoday.com/state/...022fa848b.html
Lexington has tons of crime. They are just better at hiding it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area