Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 12:37 PM

141 posts, read 545,509 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Lexington and want to get a Westie puppy!(Westhighland terrier) Anyone know a breader or where I might be able to get one?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 03:01 PM

36 posts, read 150,827 times
Well a friend of mine got a real nice westie pup a few weeks ago. Here is the Breeder info:

http://www.wk.net/wonderlandkennels/

Old 07-18-2008, 03:55 PM

714 posts, read 1,539,628 times
Please don't buy from a breeder!!! I won't even get into the negative things about breeders that I feel and I never met a breeder that wouldn't tell you how wonderful they are and how much care they take of there animals. I have found 90% of that to be false no matter how much information they give you.

Try this site...I would look for a Westhighland Terrier Rescue like the one below!

Westie Rescue USA

I don't want to make this a breeder argument, if a breeder is for you there is nothing I can say that will stop you, but just be aware there are betting ways of adopting and too many animals that need a home right now, even puppies.

Good Luck in your search and welcome to LEX

Old 07-18-2008, 04:03 PM

36 posts, read 150,827 times
The breeder my friend got his pup from, is top notch.

Not all breeders are bad

Old 07-22-2008, 02:54 PM

528 posts, read 2,481,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanieuk View Post
Please don't buy from a breeder!!! I won't even get into the negative things about breeders that I feel and I never met a breeder that wouldn't tell you how wonderful they are and how much care they take of there animals. I have found 90% of that to be false no matter how much information they give you.

Try this site...I would look for a Westhighland Terrier Rescue like the one below!

Westie Rescue USA

I don't want to make this a breeder argument, if a breeder is for you there is nothing I can say that will stop you, but just be aware there are betting ways of adopting and too many animals that need a home right now, even puppies.

gee, Stephanie....not all of us who breed are monsters; many are fine people who care deeply about their animals AND in addition give back by supporting rescues and shelters. I've bred and shown for 20 years, and also ran a pure-bred rescue program for fifteen years, and know many, many others who do the same.
That's would be like me saying almost all realtors are liars and out to gouge people ....

Old 07-24-2008, 09:52 AM

141 posts, read 545,509 times
Toria- are you in Lex? what kind of puppies do you breed?

Old 07-24-2008, 04:03 PM

528 posts, read 2,481,416 times
I'm near Lexington. And a member of the Lexington Kennel Club, but I have Goldens. I don't think we have any Westie breeders in LKC that I'm aware of.

Here's what I would recommend, visit this site:

WHWTCA Breeder Listing

It will give you lots of good info on the breed, plus has a nationwide listing of breeders who are members of the West Highland White Terrier Club of America. There's one person listed for Kentucky (Louisville), and several for Ohio. Call some of them and talk to them about the breed, and they may know of who has puppies or a litter coming up...there may even be some closer to Lexington who aren't listed.

There's also info on that site for Westie rescue, if you are interested in that...

Old 07-24-2008, 06:02 PM

688 posts, read 3,039,120 times
I agree that there can be a BIG difference in breeders. There are too many "backyard breeders" that think of it as a quick easy way to make some money...and the dogs suffer.

However, my father-in-law was a breeder for many years, and he took great pride in his dogs and his litters. He personally knew every dog's pedigree, personality, health history, etc and heavily researched any dogs he partnered. Most years, he had one litter of puppies and rarely made any profit in the long run. He did it for the love of the breed and the dogs, and the joy at seeing his litters grow up to win awards in competition.

It really all depends on the breeder - there is a huge difference!

Old 07-01-2009, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 15,050 times
Default Westie Breeder

Saw your posting and I have just now started looking for my grandson's a westie. There is a breeder in Ill. close to St. Louis

[EMAIL="Lgrench@hotmail.com"]Lgrench@hotmail.com[/EMAIL]
618-372-7547

Hope this helps you some.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:02 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttyl1979 View Post

Westie Rescue USA

As with every profession you have the good, the bad & the totally ugly. Just do your research and ask for references and I'm sure you will find a good reputable breeder..just don't buy from a puppy store.

Rescue is an avenue but not for everyone, there is a reason the dog is in rescue and even though it may be due to the former owners ignorance you are going to now have to have the patience to work on what ever issue the dog may have.

Also be aware that not all rescue is like this but many border on the fanatical in regards to who they will let adopt. I've seen many a good loving responsible home be turned down by some of the insane rules they have.

Good luck to you...the Westie is my dad's favorite...I'm partial to bulldogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
View detailed profiles of: