Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 03:18 PM

30 posts, read 76,924 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the helpful post. If someone asks a question, I either help or keep my opinions to myself. I guess your mama didn't teach that to you.

If I typed some things about your beloved city that hurt your feelings, then I suggest you grow a thicker skin (and learn to recognize a bit of hyperbole). My observations are important to my question and are honest impressions after living here a month.

Sincere thanks to every person who has offered up helpful info.

Last edited by DBDavis; 08-24-2008 at 03:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 04:04 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,573,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Yeah, take a hike, scram.
And what does this mean? It sure seems very rude.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:14 PM

I understand Tom. He likes Lexington and I've criticized one aspect of it. I honestly figured that half the responses would say something like that. The rest of you guys are pretty easy going.

To all the Lexington folks who don't act like the folks I typed about in my first post, and love your town, I apologize for over-generalizing. I'm sure Lexington contains a tremendous number of great people.

I'm just thinking that we moved into a pocket of the city that's very busy and full of fast moving, aggressive people (note that's not a compliment--one can accomplish huge things in life without giving off these types of outward appearances). We are used to a bit different kind of place, so perhaps we would be happier in one of the other areas.

Last edited by DBDavis; 08-24-2008 at 04:34 PM..

Old 08-24-2008, 04:42 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,055,527 times
^ ^ Kudos to you for your balanced and tolerant response, DBDavis. ^ ^

Old 08-24-2008, 04:43 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,488,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Yeah, take a hike, scram.
Wow, how helpful & incredibly insightful.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:58 PM

820 posts, read 2,868,956 times
I am sorry DB that you have had a difficult time relocating in Lexington. I do personally believe your experience is the exception. If you read through threads here, you'll find lots of folks who have enjoyed all aspects of our fine city. I have several friends who live in Beaumont as well and I think they'd be disappointed to find that someone dislikes it there so much. I'll say that personally I don't think that subdivision is any different than any other upper class subdivision. Where you live certainly wouldn't have anything to do with the pediatrician or the clerk at the store neither. So, I'm hoping you've just run into some unusually experiences here and things will begin to improve for you. I'm the sort of person that generally has a smile on their face and always willing to talk to anyone... I believe that most folks here are like that.

I like Nashville too, although the size difference between it and Lexington is more than I care for. The people there are very similar to ones here IMO.

jcm - I believe it was you that mentioned Michigan? I agree with you as well - it's one of my favorite places to visit. Perhaps one day you will be able to get the sour taste of Lexington out of your mouth as well. Sometimes though, when we make up our minds about something, that's the way it stays. Perception is all of our reality isn't it.... I include myself.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:35 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBDavis View Post
Thanks for the helpful post. If someone asks a question, I either help or keep my opinions to myself. I guess your mama didn't teach that to you.

If I typed some things about your beloved city that hurt your feelings, then I suggest you grow a thicker skin (and learn to recognize a bit of hyperbole). My observations are important to my question and are honest impressions after living here a month.

Get off your high horse DB, I was crackin' wise; I don't much give a damn whether anyone likes Lexington or not, there are things I detest about this burg myself.

Don't take it out on me because you couldn't find a job at a good school. Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll let you hand out the towels after the basketball games, THEN you'll have an important job at UK.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 08-24-2008 at 06:58 PM..

Old 08-24-2008, 07:18 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
irishtom you don't seem like you care for Lexington much yourself.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:20 PM

Sorry Tom. Somebody invented and for posts like your first one.

I assume your last paragraph is a wise crack too. UK seems like a good academic school to me so far considering the lab facilities, class sizes, research startup funds, etc. All the folks have been great to deal with too. I haven't watched a sporting event since 1989, so if towel boy is all I can do, then I'm in bad shape.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:37 PM

Thanks BBGirl and everyone else. This thread is helping me sort out my own feelings. I think there is a distinct "get outta the way, I'm in a big hurry" about the Beaumont area, that we need to try another pediatrician, and cross our fingers that the BMS folks are more helpful than they come across so far.

I suspect we'll end up moving to Wilmore, Versailles, Frankfort, Nicholasville, or elsewhere in the end, but we have at least 5 months (lease) to think it over and solidify impressions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area