Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2008, 06:38 AM

28 posts, read 76,476 times

Advertisements

What Black Friday sales will you be going to this year? Do you have any tips for saving money on Christmas this year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 10:47 AM

5 posts, read 13,669 times
Stores that are planning to close after Christmas are still selling the cards through the holidays even though the cards will be worthless January 1. On the contrary, it is referred to as 'Bankruptcy Planning".
Below is a partial list of stores that you need to be cautious about.

Circuit City (filed Chapter 11)
Ann Taylor 117 stores nationwide closing
Lane Bryant, Fashion Bug ,and Catherine's to close 150 stores nationwide
Eddie Bauer to close stores 27 stores and more after January
Cache will close all stores
Talbots closing down specialty stores
J. Jill closing all stores (owned by Talbots) Pacific Sunwear (also owned by Talbots)
GAP closing 85 stores
Footlocker closing 140 stores more to close after January
Wickes Furniture closing down
Levitz closing down remaining stores
Bombay closing remaining stores
Zales closing down 82 stores and 105 after January
Whitehall closing all stores
Piercing Pagoda closing all stores
Disney closing 98 stores and will close more after January.
Home Depot closing 15 stores 1 in NJ ( New Brunswick )
Macys to close 9 stores after January
Linens and Things closing all stores
Movie Galley Closing all stores
Pep Boys Closing 33 stores
Sprint/Nextel closing 133 stores
JC Penney closing a number of stores after January
Ethan Allen closing down 12 stores.
Wilson Leather closing down all stores
Sharper Image closing down all stores
K B Toys closing 356 stores
Loews to close down some stores
Dillard's to close some stores...

For Black Friday deals information google: "black friday slickdeals forum"

Last edited by poor_immigrant; 11-21-2008 at 11:02 AM..

Old 11-22-2008, 06:20 PM

270 posts, read 934,975 times
I happened to venture out to Hamburg today (Saturday, 11/22) and it already seemed like Black Friday! I couldn't believe how many people were out shopping -- the long lines made me think it was either the day after Thanksgiving or the day before Christmas! I'm glad that my beloveds and I decided to downsize gift-giving this year -- hopefully I won't have to participate in the madness very much!

Old 11-24-2008, 09:45 AM

28 posts, read 76,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtony View Post
I'm glad that my beloveds and I decided to downsize gift-giving this year -- hopefully I won't have to participate in the madness very much!
Yeah, homemade gifts are the trend in my family exchange this year.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:49 PM

891 posts, read 3,053,636 times
My siblings all decided to pool our money that we would normally spend on each other and split it, half for God's Pantry and the other half for our local animal shelter. None of us really need anything and I'm sure the charitable giving is down this year.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:22 PM

714 posts, read 1,539,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
My siblings all decided to pool our money that we would normally spend on each other and split it, half for God's Pantry and the other half for our local animal shelter. None of us really need anything and I'm sure the charitable giving is down this year.
O this makes me so happy! I loves animals and have given more than usual this year because I know their donations are way down. I have asked my family to donate materials on the LHS wish list and bring them to Thanksgiving. Every little bit helps! Thanks so much for remembering the animals

Old 11-21-2009, 08:05 AM

2 posts, read 4,955 times
Default true true

i work at wal-mart, i know what of you speak!

Old 11-23-2009, 08:11 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Charitable giving is great! Another way to avoid the Black Friday chaos is to give locally made items. Check your local craft stores, make it yourself, or head down the road to Berea. Books are always good, and don't rely on electricity if you stay with the old-fashioned, printed on paper kind.

Also consider giving functional antiques, large or small: they are usually far better made, more attractive, certainly unique, and are a form of recycling. Try a lovely early American pattern glass compote or bowl, c. 1880. for Grandma's cranberry sauce recipe this year. Christmas cookies on a beautiful antique china plate can't be beat, and a nice old teacup, pottery mug, or antique teapot can be used in a basket with teas, homemade cookies, and other treats for a memorable and one-of-a-kind present. Old woolen plaid laprobes (aka "rugs" across the Pond) can be drycleaned and come out as good as new, and are a thoughtful, practical and attractive gift.

Most antique dealers live in or near the community where their wares are offered, so you're helping the local economy as well as the environment when you practice this form of recycling, and may be adding additional heirlooms to your family's collection.

Antiques - they've stood the test of time!

Last edited by CraigCreek; 11-23-2009 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 11-23-2009, 08:15 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
Here's a site to check all black Friday sales. Black Friday Ads for Black Friday 2009 and Black Friday Deals!

I'm not going anywhere near Walmart Friday or the rest of that weekend. Don't think my insurance covers "acts of war". lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area