Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 11:03 PM

11 posts, read 20,534 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am living in Kingsport, Tn and I want to relocate to an area that is family friendly low-crime, diverse and has activities and shopping. At this moment Kingsport is a nice little town but built mostly for those that are retired and also has a 1% black population.
I have visited Lexington, Ky recently for a week around thanksgiving. My family and I loved Lexington. I know I can't really get a feel for a place in a week. So I'm asking for anyone to answer my question. How are race relations in Lexington? There seems to be a bigger population of blacks compared to kingsport but I noticed there are hardly any adds with blacks and also news stations hardly covered any black faces also on the internet with lexingtons official site I also noticed this. I started my search for a place to move but noticed how quickly apartments were saying they were full but signs were out that they were renting and were having specials. I would love to buy a home but I would think apartments would be better until I learn more about Lexington. I am concerned because these small things I noticed usually go along with racism. Is Lexington very divided racially?

Last edited by newtotenn; 12-26-2008 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: revised
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 05:21 AM

822 posts, read 3,003,253 times
Gosh, I would give you an honest answer if I had one. I haven't been here terribly long ... I have some black friends at high socioeconomic levels who seem to be thriving quite nicely. On the other hand, my daughter attended a school in a lower income area that was 1/3 caucasian, 1/3 hispanic and 1/3 black and, well, while some of the black (or African American) parents were involved and friendly, a lot of them were not involved, not friendly, sort of suspicious and distrustful. And it just seemed to me that the biggest behavioral problems were either [some, certain] white kids or [some, certain] black kids (the hispanic kids seemed quite calm and gracious, really). So that's the best answer I can really give and it's rather anecdotal just based on my limited experience here.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:57 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,488,989 times
I think you'll be OK. Lex in itself is pretty accepting. The issue is that KY as a whole is pretty white, rednecky & lacking diversity. So you get a lot of spill-over from the rest of the state into Lexington from some out of towners that visit or just move to the area from other parts of the state.

So, its still "around" but you'll be OK. The people that bring that stuff to Lex are usually brushed off by the majority.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:27 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtotenn View Post
Hi

I am living in Kingsport, Tn and I want to relocate to an area that is family friendly low-crime, diverse and has activities and shopping. At this moment Kingsport is a nice little town but built mostly for those that are retired and also has a 1% black population.
I have visited Lexington, Ky recently for a week around thanksgiving. My family and I loved Lexington. I know I can't really get a feel for a place in a week. So I'm asking for anyone to answer my question. How are race relations in Lexington? There seems to be a bigger population of blacks compared to kingsport but I noticed there are hardly any adds with blacks and also news stations hardly covered any black faces also on the internet with lexingtons official site I also noticed this. I started my search for a place to move but noticed how quickly apartments were saying they were full but signs were out that they were renting and were having specials. I would love to buy a home but I would think apartments would be better until I learn more about Lexington. I am concerned because these small things I noticed usually go along with racism. Is Lexington very divided racially?

lexington has a very low percentage of blacks for a city its size. For example fayette county is less than 14% african american whereas almost any major urban county in america has an african american population over 20%. That said, I think race relations in Lexington are average. They are certainly better than in some northern cities like Detroit or Cincinnati. That said, it is still in the south so you know how that can be. My perspective comes from living most my life in the Midwest. Overall, lexington will seem more diverse and will offer you more amenities than Kingsport of course.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:44 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
Hun is Kingsport near Lenoir City? If so that is a nice area. What brings you up this way?

Old 12-29-2008, 07:23 PM

Thank you everyone for replying. I was born in the midwest but moved to Tenn because I really like the southern way of life (my father was born here), but without dealing with racism or racist undertones I guess I'm just dreaming. I am a family person that stays involved with my kids and would like bigger city with better shopping and activities

Old 12-29-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Hun is Kingsport near Lenoir City? If so that is a nice area. What brings you up this way?
Yes, it sure is. I do like the area but it's more a retirement area not many activities for kids and family. I must admit it gets irritating to always stand out in the crowd very small minority community. I want to move closer to my sister.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:27 PM

270 posts, read 934,975 times
Newtotenn:

Lexington may not be a "major urban county" and can only offer a 14% ratio of African Americans, but that is still nearly 40,000 people out of our population... as large as many small towns. In my opinion, Lexington embraces diversity:
  • Up until recently, Lexington's long-time chief of police was African-American (Anthany Beatty, now assistant vice president for the University of Kentucky Public Safety Department);
  • There are 2 African-Americans elected to the city council;
  • Lexington's Commissioner of Social Services is an African-American woman;
  • One of the most influential people in local politics, P.G. Peeples, is African-American;
  • Lexington hosts a large, popular African-American festival every year, the Roots & Heritage Festival;
  • There is the annual African American Ball, which is a black-tie charity event;
  • Several TV news personalities are African-American, including Emmy-nominated anchor Dia Davidson;
  • The African-American Forum, a nonprofit arts and culture organization, is based in Lexington;
  • The Lexington Urban League has a large and active Young Professionals organization; and
  • Kentucky State University, a predominantly black university, is located in Frankfort, a short 30 minute drive from Lexington.
These are just a few I could think of off the top of my head and I'm sure other members could add more examples.

Is Lexington as diverse as a major urban area, such as Chicago, would be? No. But this is a city of over a quarter million people (even larger if you include the metropolitan statistical area of bedroom communities surrounding Fayette County)...so I say, if you have an interest in relocating to Lexington, I encourage you to pursue it. I have no doubt you will be made to feel welcome and I don't think you'd "stand out in the crowd." And if I can offer any help in providing resource suggestions, please feel free to send me a PM.

Good luck!

Old 12-29-2008, 11:54 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,055,527 times
Lexington has some racial division, but not much racial tension.

By contrast, St. Louis and Cincinnati have MUCH greater racial tension.

Cities further south seem about the same as Lexington to me.

Back to Lexington: There is still improvement that can (and undoubtedly will) be made, but honestly, I think the educated population and college-town atmosphere contributes to the lack of racism. You mostly encounter racism in the lower classes of every race.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:07 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtotenn View Post
Yes, it sure is. I do like the area but it's more a retirement area not many activities for kids and family. I must admit it gets irritating to always stand out in the crowd very small minority community. I want to move closer to my sister.
Ok thank you hun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area