Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 10:53 AM

4 posts, read 18,868 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Lexington in August and very excited about it! I will be going back to college, hopefully at UK, for Animal Science. My only problem is that I need a place to board my horse, but most places I have found cost $300-$400 per month. The facilities are amazing and pastures are beautiful, but I wouldn't be able to afford it. I really don't want to sell him, he has taught me so much. I coudn't bare the thought of him going to a bad home, it happens to horses all of the time. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or information about any smaller farms willing to board a horse. I may not be able to offer a large amount of money per month, but if a small amount won't cut it I am very handy with barn chores! Any information would be very helpful and appreciated. Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 03:29 PM

891 posts, read 3,054,342 times
This may or may not interest you but some of the equine hospitals will board a horse in exchange for using it for blood donations. You might check with Rood & Riddle or Hagyard, Davidson & McGee. I know they did this a few years back but I'm not certain if they still do.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:06 PM

528 posts, read 2,481,901 times
barrelracer, what kind of board are you looking for....full, self, pasture, etc? If you'll be at UK, how far do you want to be from the barn? And did you contact anyone with UK's equestrian team about where they all board? I'm thinking it might be Robert Murphy stables, but not positive (and don't know what they charge). I can ask around a bit once I know where you want to be, and what type of board. Do you care what disciplines the barn is oriented towards....lots of hunter/jumpers around here, etc.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:58 PM

Thank you to all that have responded I haven't called about where the UK students board there horses because I will not be going to UK until winter/spring semester. I would like to be able to have access to a stall, and it doesn't have to be full board. I don't mind what disciplines the barn is oriented towards, I might be able to learn some new things I am really open to anything as long as I am able to keep my horse. My apartment will be near Richmond road, something near there or within 15 mins. would be nice. Toria I hope I have answered your questions. If you have any other questions please let me know. Thank You

Old 06-22-2007, 12:27 AM

246 posts, read 1,057,504 times
Default highliner

I've got a big freezer downstairs that would be perfect!

Old 06-22-2007, 08:32 PM

highliner, I find what you said very rude! Next time I would really appreciate it if you would not comment.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:52 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,428,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelracer04 View Post
highliner, I find what you said very rude! Next time I would really appreciate it if you would not comment.
I think I'm safe in saying it was a joke. You know levity, I don't know "highliner" but I don't think being rude was intended. I thought it was funny myself, sounds like typical southern humor.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
I think I'm safe in saying it was a joke. You know levity, I don't know "highliner" but I don't think being rude was intended. I thought it was funny myself, sounds like typical southern humor.

there was nothing funny about it; it was a juvenile post and was especially rude in light of the current fight to end horse slaughter in this country.

Barrelracer, I wasn't able to find anything in the area you indicate, but I don't live close to it, either. You might want to post on Off Course section of the COTH board - Chronicle of the Horse forum - Chronicle Forums - Powered by vBulletin), as there are lots of Lexington area people on there who may know of a small, inexpensive boarding situation in the area you are looking at.

Last edited by Toria; 06-23-2007 at 07:07 AM..

Old 06-23-2007, 12:54 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,428,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toria View Post
there was nothing funny about it; it was a juvenile post and was especially rude in light of the current fight to end horse slaughter in this country.
Well I found it funny and I'll reserve the right to decide what I find funny ... thanks anyway.

As for horse slaughter, while I and most American don't find horse meat especially appetizing many cultures around the world, many of which are living right here in the good ol USA to find it a tasty treat. Such as people from France, Belgium, Holland, Japan, and Italy, horse meat is a culinary choice and not a taboo. Equally, there are 10's of 1000's of devout Hindu's in the US that are likely appalled at the consumption of cows and as many vegans that find eating any meat appalling. People must learn to accept that not every ones culture is the same as their's, go to central and south America where eating bugs is the norm. Actually, some of them are quite good.

Old 06-23-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Well I found it funny and I'll reserve the right to decide what I find funny ... thanks anyway.:
whatever....

Quote:
As for horse slaughter, while I and most American don't find horse meat especially appetizing many cultures around the world, many of which are living right here in the good ol USA to find it a tasty treat. Such as people from France, Belgium, Holland, Japan, and Italy, horse meat is a culinary choice and not a taboo. Equally, there are 10's of 1000's of devout Hindu's in the US that are likely appalled at the consumption of cows and as many vegans that find eating any meat appalling.
Those who want to see an end to horse slaughter in this country are quite aware that other cultures can eat what they want. However, that does not mean the United States needs to supply that food source for them.
Horses are not raised for food in this country, and here they are considered working, sporting, and companion animals and should be treated as such....not slaughtered like a cow in order to provide a steak dinner for some Frenchman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area