Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 02:47 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Christian Neighborhood? as opposed to what a Satanic one? You're in a notch of the bible belt you'd be hard pressed to find anything other than a 'Christian' neighborhood in about 99.9% of the state. And by Christian neighborhood I'm guessing you are talking about what the people in it would consider them self regardless of their respective level of devotion.
I know this is an old thread, but that's what I thought when I read the first post, as well.

It's a little maddening, says the fire breathing atheist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 01:28 PM

87 posts, read 390,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
I know this is an old thread, but that's what I thought when I read the first post, as well.

It's a little maddening, says the fire breathing atheist.
WHAT!?! What in the world is THAT supposed to mean?!?!?!

No way would I want to live around an atheist!!!!!!!!

Old 01-29-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Christian Neighborhood? as opposed to what a Satanic one? You're in a notch of the bible belt you'd be hard pressed to find anything other than a 'Christian' neighborhood in about 99.9% of the state. And by Christian neighborhood I'm guessing you are talking about what the people in it would consider them self regardless of their respective level of devotion.
I could care less what someone calls themselves... It's what they believe, how they act and what is in their hearts that really counts.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebird1012 View Post
We have 4 distinct seasons as said above. Winters are a wet cold instead of a dry cold like in Colorado or Utah. Needless to say, 25 degrees like today with 20 mph gusts of wind is quite cold. Usually we get a few snow flurries here and there and occasionally an ice storm (5 years straight now) where numerous schools and businesses shut down for a few days. Spring is very pleasant, but we get a lot of rain. Similar to that of Portland or Seattle, but our "rainy season" is much shorter. Summers get EXTREMELY humid- in August we have temperatures looming around 100 with almost 100% humidity. I played varsity soccer and I couldn't stand conditioning practices in August and September because of the heat (I'll take snow anytime over extreme heat). Fall is similar to spring with mild temperatures and beautiful foliage on the trees. I've never been to San Jose but I have been to San Fran and LA and I think this is going to be a pretty big change for you.

I hope this helps.
Thanks for the information! I am originally from Louisiana and am VERY familiar with 100 degrees with 100% humidity... Despite the rain, I do miss the South, but have no intention of living in Louisiana. We are considering Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, and Virginia. Just haven't made a firm decision yet. We are saving every penny with hopes of being able to buy about an acre of land and a really nice house to grow old in. The real clincher on where we move would be where my husband is able to land a job. His current company has an office in Lexington, which is really the only reason we put Kentucky on the list...

Thanks again!

Old 01-29-2008, 01:59 PM

36 posts, read 171,068 times
Teebird wrote: Most everywhere in Lexington if not all of Kentucky fits your description. Yes there are sizable Jewish communities in Louisville, but for the most part Kentucky is Christian or Catholic. This area in the middle of the southern Bible Belt. Honestly I didn't know there was such a thing as a "Christian neighborhood." I'm Presbyterian myself and attend 2nd Pres. Church on Main Street in Lexington- lots of wonderful activities going on there.
----------------

Ouch, Teebird, my fellow Presbyterian, those Catholics consider themselves Christian, and so do I. Was your church where Eagle Krogh was pastor? I'm sure I misspelled his name.

Ah, well. I tried to locate in Lexington...interviewed at the prison and the VA for psychology internships, but didn't make the cut. Beautiful area, lots to enjoy.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:12 PM

36 posts, read 171,068 times
Ah, Teebird, my bad...it was Jeb Stuart Magruder I was recalling... not Egil Krogh.
Apologies.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:02 PM

153 posts, read 937,614 times
Quote:

You probably already do and don't even know it. And look, you've survived so far.
We don't tend to shout it from the roof-tops. Odds are there's more then a few in your area.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:14 PM

3 posts, read 5,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy910 View Post
My husband's job might be transferring him to the Lexington area and we are looking for a nice Christian neighborhood to live in. We have three kids ages 7, 4, and 2, and will also need an area that is child friendly and has really good public schools. We are devout Bible believing Christians and will also be looking for an active church home.

Any suggestions would be much apprciated!!

Here's the way Kentucky splits up....better get used to it.

Evangelical Protestant (Includes Southern Baptist, Primitive Baptist, Church of God, Nazarene and Church of Christ) -- 1,361,067Mainline Protestant (Includes Disciples of Christ, Episcopal, Presbyterian and United Methodist) -- 354,615
Orthodox -- 2,110
Catholic -- 406,021
Other (Includes Jewish, Buddhists, Muslims and Hindus) -- 35,728
Unclaimed (Not adherents to any of the 188 groups listed in the Association of Religion Data Archivers' church membership data. It is not an indicator of atheism.) -- 1,882,228

Old 01-30-2008, 06:11 AM

486 posts, read 1,897,541 times
No I think he was at First Pres. We've had Ron Byars and David Renwick .
Quote:
Originally Posted by merigold307 View Post
Ah, Teebird, my bad...it was Jeb Stuart Magruder I was recalling... not Egil Krogh.
Apologies.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:17 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy910 View Post

You should be safe as long as you have good fire insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area