Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 11:59 AM

13 posts, read 22,144 times

Advertisements

So my partner/wife/roommate/special friend/whatever term you wish to use, and I are moving to Kentucky at the end of May. She is going to Grad School at UK and I'll be finishing my undergrad at EKU. We're visiting the second weekend of May to find a place to live.
My questions:
Are there rental properties (duplexes, apartments, townhouses, houses, etc) in between the two?
How's employment? I can work retail, childcare, nanny, etc, any tips on where to apply?
Is there a need for nannies?
Traffic? We're moving from Dallas, so I can handle a lot.
Highways?
Parking on campuses?
Pet friendly areas?
Gay friendly areas? We're covered on accepting churches.
Toll-roads?
Best place to live with us going to separate schools?

I think I've covered all my major questions, but any other advice is greatly appreciated. We're moving from Texas, is there anything we need to know about being new to the state?

Oh! How hot are summers? Anything below 100 in the summer would be lovely...I'm looking forward to four real seasons.

Also, no children, just pets and cake please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 08:13 PM

969 posts, read 2,820,359 times
There isn't really anything between Lexington and Richmond.....sorry! I think somewhere close to an interstate exit, like the one at Richmond Rd or Man O War near Hamburg would work for you. That way its about 20-25 minutes to UK and Richmond.

I am pretty sure we don't have any toll roads anywhere near here.

I think you'll be able to find retail jobs here fairly easy. I am starting to see a few "Now Hiring" signs around town again.

We haven't had a 100 degree day in a looooong time. We do see the 90s a lot it seems. Humidity is what gets us here!

Give us a price range and we can start suggesting apartment complexes, etc.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:46 PM

Max of 600. We'll be students, (though I did find an awesome nanny job opening *crosses fingers*), so if it's over 600 it should include utilities. We have two pets, a dog and a cat, so we need animal friendly.

Thanks!

I grew up in East Texas, I can handle humidity.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:57 PM

409 posts, read 872,966 times
Hmmm, what I might suggest is look in Richmond and commute to UK. I suspect the rental opportunities with the rent range you are looking for are more present there, although I can't speak as to pets. Richmond is about 30 mintues from Lexington and I know people who commute on a daily basis a longer distance to get to Lex.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:04 PM

141 posts, read 545,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCook530 View Post
How's employment? I can work retail, childcare, nanny, etc, any tips on where to apply?
Is there a need for nannies?

I We're moving from Texas, is there anything we need to know about being new to the state?

Ok...this is so funny because I JUST posted something on needing a nanny! Wil you send me a Pm with more info about you? We are due with our first baby in Aug, just moved here from Texas too! (Houston/Galveston) and I work full time so I currently have NO idea what we will do with the baby when I go back to work after 8-9 weeks. Anyway, read my post and see what you think! And if you want, send me info on your experience with "nannying", your education, availability, etc. Maybe we can make this work!

BTW- Lexington is great! The winter was pretty awful (from one TX girl to another) but I survived and spring is such a blessing! Last summer, when we first moved here was pretty amazing too- I couldn't believe the difference between Houston and Lexington summers! (but don't get me wrong- I miss my Lone Star State!)

Old 04-27-2010, 10:03 AM

969 posts, read 2,820,359 times
For that price point, you may want to be in Richmond. Or come a little further into Lex, like maybe around Alumni Drive, Buckhorn, Armstrong Mill. That tips the commute a little closer to UK, but has the EKU drive a tad longer.......Sounds like you may already have a job!!

Old 04-28-2010, 07:07 AM

37 posts, read 93,063 times
My husband is a professor at EKU, and we live off of the Man O'War exit (108) in Lexington by Hamburg. It takes him 20-25 minutes to get to EKU. Traffic on 75 is never bad.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:51 AM

Thanks everyone! I have a friend in Richmond that commutes to Lexington everyday, but I wanted to get more opinions.

I'm used to horrible traffic, so light traffic would be a breeze...

How are the cops out there? Do they stop anyone and everyone? One thing about living in Dallas is in most areas, you don't really have to worry about being pulled over unless your doing 90 and weaving in and out of traffic.

Also, what does your husband teach?

Old 04-28-2010, 09:00 PM

37 posts, read 93,063 times
He's in administration, so he's not teaching at the moment, but he's "housed" in English. I think he'll be teaching a couple classes in the fall. He really likes EKU; hope you do as well.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:08 AM

I might not go to EKU. They won't accept all my credits for some reason. I may end up going to KSU. I have to call both today to set up advising appointments. I'll know by the end of next weekend which one I'll go to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area