Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2012, 11:00 AM

4 posts, read 7,409 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've been looking at potentially moving to the Little Rock or Dallas area for the past 6 months or so. I've tried my best to research each one, and I think Little Rock appeals to me most. I dated a girl from there, so I've been in the area quite a bit, but never to live. I know there are a million posts about people moving here for their job or with their family, but I decided to ask for advice straight on. A little about my situation: I graduated from Stephen F. Austin State University with my BBA in May 2011 and moved back to the Shreveport area with my parents. I am currently working at a mechanical contractors office doing purchase orders and helping with the AR of the business. Having been here my entire life, I've really been wanting to relocate to somewhere different, but not overly far from my family. I have applied to quite a few administrative assistant positions through online applications, but I'm sure me having my Louisiana address isn't helping me get any bites. Hiring an out of towner would only complicate any hiring managers process, but I keep trying none the less. I've seen mixed reviews about the job market. Although I've saved quite a bit and have a cushion, would it be a bad idea to move to Little Rock with no job? Provided that I did get a job, I would also like to continue my education and get my MBA from UCA or UALR after a year or so and getting comfortable. Thanks for any insight or advise you can give! And sorry again for any repetitiveness that might be in other topics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 11:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerBarr View Post
Hi all,

I've been looking at potentially moving to the Little Rock or Dallas area for the past 6 months or so. I've tried my best to research each one, and I think Little Rock appeals to me most. I dated a girl from there, so I've been in the area quite a bit, but never to live. I know there are a million posts about people moving here for their job or with their family, but I decided to ask for advice straight on. A little about my situation: I graduated from Stephen F. Austin State University with my BBA in May 2011 and moved back to the Shreveport area with my parents. I am currently working at a mechanical contractors office doing purchase orders and helping with the AR of the business. Having been here my entire life, I've really been wanting to relocate to somewhere different, but not overly far from my family. I have applied to quite a few administrative assistant positions through online applications, but I'm sure me having my Louisiana address isn't helping me get any bites. Hiring an out of towner would only complicate any hiring managers process, but I keep trying none the less. I've seen mixed reviews about the job market. Although I've saved quite a bit and have a cushion, would it be a bad idea to move to Little Rock with no job? Provided that I did get a job, I would also like to continue my education and get my MBA from UCA or UALR after a year or so and getting comfortable. Thanks for any insight or advise you can give! And sorry again for any repetitiveness that might be in other topics.
well the positive and the negative: Positive: the economy in AR is pretty strong and it should not be too hard to get a decent job, even if it means temp work for awhile. The negative: you might need most of that cushion you have saved if you plan on moving in the next few months cause most companies do very little hiring the 4quarter...I will add, it is much easier to get a job when you have a local address, than when you are out of the area..

Old 10-04-2012, 01:01 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,382,198 times
I have no insight on the job market but I can write about UALR. Our granddaughter attends another college and is a senior this year, but needed a couple of courses to round out what she wanted to do, so, she took those courses at UALR and fell in love with it. She said she could not believe how friendly and helpful people are, staff and students. And she was super impressed with the amenities of the facilities. I asked why, since she was so impressed, she didn't transfer, and she said that she had busted her to get through the college she is enrolled in and wanted that name on her diploma. Go girl !

Old 10-04-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
I have no insight on the job market but I can write about UALR. Our granddaughter attends another college and is a senior this year, but needed a couple of courses to round out what she wanted to do, so, she took those courses at UALR and fell in love with it. She said she could not believe how friendly and helpful people are, staff and students. And she was super impressed with the amenities of the facilities. I asked why, since she was so impressed, she didn't transfer, and she said that she had busted her to get through the college she is enrolled in and wanted that name on her diploma. Go girl !
I'd still need to visit it, but it seems like a pretty good school, and seemed pretty affordable too. When I started leaning towards Little Rock, that was one of the factors I looked at. It also seemed like most of the apartments I've been looking at online, are no more than 20 minutes that campus. But again, the main concern would be finding a job haha

Old 10-04-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerBarr View Post
I'd still need to visit it, but it seems like a pretty good school, and seemed pretty affordable too. When I started leaning towards Little Rock, that was one of the factors I looked at. It also seemed like most of the apartments I've been looking at online, are no more than 20 minutes that campus. But again, the main concern would be finding a job haha
They have several apartment buildings across the street from campus. They may be named "Coleman [something]" but I'm not sure about that. And I read in the local paper they have/are building dorms on campus.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
They have several apartment buildings across the street from campus. They may be named "Coleman [something]" but I'm not sure about that. And I read in the local paper they have/are building dorms on campus.
I read about the dorms as well. In fact, starting next year it will be required for all freshmen to live in the dorms: good idea as far as I am concerned. We had the same requirements when I went to the University of Colo back in the stone age.... I am guessing, unless they have a post grad dorm, which is unlikely, most people working on their advanced degrees will not want to live in a dorm, but by adding the dorms, the aprartment rates may be a little lower..

Old 10-08-2012, 02:32 PM

476 posts, read 466,750 times
If you are planning to rent an apartment, you may have a hard time moving here with no job. These places are very strict on approving people. They run credit checks and are probably going to want you to pay several months rent in advance if you have no employment or reject your application.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:33 PM

As nmnita wrote above, next year freshmen will be required to live in the dorms and eat the meals @ a cost of $7,400 per year. Some of the professors are objecting but it is an administration decision and will stand. Over the years UALR (as now known) has been very popular as a non-resident school so that many of their students were older and taking the late opportunity to get a college education.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:36 AM

536 posts, read 823,072 times
I think the more UALR can become like a traditional campus and develop a real campus life instead of just being a commuter school the better. Better for the university, for Little Rock, and for Arkansas.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD39 View Post
If you are planning to rent an apartment, you may have a hard time moving here with no job. These places are very strict on approving people. They run credit checks and are probably going to want you to pay several months rent in advance if you have no employment or reject your application.
I was planning on renting an apartment. While in college, I was an RA for three years, but I moved off for my senior semesters. Being a college student right after high school, I didn't have much credit at all. My parents co-signed for me and everything went pretty smoothly, so I was expecting to have to do this again. Thanks for all the good things said about UALR! It sounds like it would be a great place to get my masters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area