Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2007, 09:14 PM

10 posts, read 47,100 times

Advertisements

What are the areas in Little Rock where I will be able to really see some value or increase if I were to purchase a home in there and sell after a 3 or 4 year period?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 10:08 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Hillcrest/Heights, Riverdale, or west Little Rock. Hillcrest/Heights are more trendy while west Little Rock is more suburban chain-shopping oriented. If you are young, single or newlywed, I would recommend Hillcrest/Heights. If you have a family I would lean west Little Rock.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:17 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,264,452 times
I'd also suggest the Captiol View/Stift Station area, and the area north of Lamar Porter Field...these areas have probably seen as much of an increase in real estate prices as the Heights and Hillcrest and are becoming more trendy. You can still buy fairly reasonably in these areas. I don't know if you will get quite the return on your money in less than 5 years, but 5 years ago you could have bought in Capitol View for nothing...now it's $100/sq. foot. The area up behind the deaf school around North St. is also getting extremely popular for a cheap buy, fix up and flip. You might also consider across from Cajun's, back up on Terrace and Branch. As downtown comes alive again, those that work there want to be close.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:12 AM

83 posts, read 476,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch22 View Post
What are the areas in Little Rock where I will be able to really see some value or increase if I were to purchase a home in there and sell after a 3 or 4 year period?

I would not purchase a home in Little Rock based on expected appreciation. We lived there for almost thirty years and owned several homes. None were sold for any significant profit, especially when the selling price was adjusted for inflation. YMMV!

Old 12-30-2007, 10:23 AM

Disagree. We bought a house in 1998 in the Heights for $176K. Sold it in 2000 for $223K. I had put in a pretty great master bath with some insurance money from water damage when we moved, but everything else we did was actually a hindrance (we put in a lot of handicapped stuff for my mother-in-law...unless you're handicapped, it is NOT a selling point). Had we held onto it, I could retire. The house next door is up for sale for $549K and hasn't had a lot of upgrading and is about 300 square feet smaller (which is a lot in that area).

If you've got the money to buy in the Heights I don't think you'll lose.....but it's about priced out of the market for the average homebuyer anymore.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Disagree. We bought a house in 1998 in the Heights for $176K. Sold it in 2000 for $223K. I had put in a pretty great master bath with some insurance money from water damage when we moved, but everything else we did was actually a hindrance (we put in a lot of handicapped stuff for my mother-in-law...unless you're handicapped, it is NOT a selling point). Had we held onto it, I could retire. The house next door is up for sale for $549K and hasn't had a lot of upgrading and is about 300 square feet smaller (which is a lot in that area).

If you've got the money to buy in the Heights I don't think you'll lose.....but it's about priced out of the market for the average homebuyer anymore.

One swallow does not make a spring.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecloebl View Post
One swallow does not make a spring.
LOL! Agreed - but look at home price valuations and sales in that area...there's a lot of folks living eternal spring in that particular area. The Heights historically has been a money maker in the real estate market - it's in a highly desired area and although the homes are older, they are well built and it's a very settled neighborhood. True, the amenities like Wal Mart aren't there (thank goodness), but I think it is the one single area of town where you can do minimal updates and still manage to come out on your feet and in new shoes. Just an opinion, of course, but I think the numbers would bear me out on that one, particularly in the past 10 years.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:17 AM

45 posts, read 154,965 times
Default I agree!

I agree with SAMIAM. You can't go wrong buying a house in Heights or Hillcrest.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInLittleRock View Post
I agree with SAMIAM. You can't go wrong buying a house in Heights or Hillcrest.
Looking at your vocation, might I question your objectivity........

Old 01-02-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecloebl View Post
Looking at your vocation, might I question your objectivity........
I don't think his occupation has an excessive amount of weight...them's the facts, ec...the Heights has always held it's value. Next to Edgehill, it's the only "old money" in Little Rock - and most likely will continue to be that way for years to come (although personally I think they are destroying some of the charm by putting up those big honkin' MONUMENTS TO MONEY on some streets)...but dollar for dollar, it's where it's at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area