Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 04:13 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times

Advertisements

You know, color me out of the loop...but I honestly don't know what all of the hooplah is about. Things may be a little more out in the open in Eureka, but other than areas that have no real connection to a metropolitan area I just don't see this as a problem. I have many gay friends all over the state and they surely aren't whining about not being accepted. Then again, most are in Eureka, Fayetteville, Little Rock and Hot Springs - the larger areas. I will say that I don't think UALR is the bastion of free thinking. Most of the students there are day students and there isn't the cross-section you find in Fayetteville.

I think when you get into the rural areas or areas with an older population you may run into a different mindset, but "tolerance" seems to be everywhere. "Tolerance" to me means you'll simply be left alone to live your life, and I suppose that's what we're all looking for. Rural areas are slow to change anyway because "this is the way it has always been and we don't want change", and you aren't changing some minds anyway, particularly older folks. They grew up in an era where gay simply wasn't discussed in public. I'm not sure where this poster is moving from, but has s/he fallen victim to an Arkansas stereotype?

Are we throwing Gay Pride parades to rival Mardi Gras? Well, no, I don't think so...is anyone being run out of Little Rock on a rail for being gay? No, I don't think so. There's "acceptance" and there's "tolerance". Either is preferable to open hostility. I think in the metro areas, most people boomer aged and below are like "whatever". There was a Capital Pride meeting in Little Rock this year that drew a bunch of folks. Not huge numbers but acceptable.

OP - please google Little Rock Arkansas Gay Pride and you will find several links there to various orgs that can assist you in becoming involved in the community. In the meantime, welcome! As far as a place to live, I'd just pick Hillcrest because of the location and the fact that the downtown residentil areas, while having made enormous strides, still has some problems to contend with. However, if you want to be part of the cutting edge of change, there's a good spot for you. I think Hillcrest and Capitol View are great areas to look in, full of young professionals, and you will surely find your niche.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 12:35 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,946,863 times
I cannot speak for little rock, but i grew up in Fayetteville and there is a rather large gay/lesbian community. I had many gay/lesbian friends and my favorite teacher(alternative learning, called "school within a school" for those who wanted something more than just standard learning) was a Lesbian who had been with her partner for many many years. They had kids that were grown up and were well thought of by those that knew them. But there was still a level of intolerance, and they could not get legally married(allthough the Unitarian church pastor protested not being able to marry gay couples), so they moved back to the northeast to get married. It is the south, so there will be a level of intolerance which you will find most anywhere on almost any subject you can think of. But there are many in Arkansas i know who would be glad to meet you right now, and would love to sit a spell and chat about any and everything. Good luck to you, i hope you find peace and acceptence in whatever community you decide to be a part of.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:28 PM

3 posts, read 13,689 times
Thanks all for your support even though it doesn't sound that promising. I am a dancer and will be in the department of theatre and dance so hopefully every will be "tolerate" of us there. It appears that it will not be a problem on the campus but my daughter will have to go to a public school in a couple of years and that is a little scary. We lived in Austin for several years but are coming from Texas A&M University in College Station, TX. It is a right wing republican bible belt community. That said, we have gotten a few looks but no direct homophobia. It appears that we may not be that lucking in LR. Hopefully we can surround ourselves with some great people and all will be good. We will have to wait and see.

Can you tell me if there is a gay publication in the area? Coffee shops? Anywhere we can go an feel at home? When I went to interview one of the faculty brought me to a restraunt that was lesbian owned. Know of any?

I appreciate your help. Thanks so much and maybe we will run into each other at Pride!

Old 02-11-2008, 09:58 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Don't be too worried. I wouldn't expect you to find Little Rock to be any more hostile than College Station, TX, especially being in theatre. I also wouldn't worry as much being lesbian. I even knew a few lesbian couples when I lived in Ft. Smith which is arguably the most religious/conservative town in the state. It has always seemed, to me at least, that gay men have it worse than lesbians.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:12 AM

Mama said don't borrow trouble, cbergnon...and I think that's a little of what's going on here. You're worrying about something that may not even be a problem for you. Looks? Yes. Most likely, and you would probably get looks in even some of the larger cities anywhere in the south. Talk? Maybe. Most likely, but not to your face unless you walk out into the street with a sandwich board on saying The Two Mommies Are Here. If your concern is your child entering public schools, THAT should be your concern. The public schools in Little Rock are nothing to write home about...I wouldn't worry about what the PTA thinks, just whether you can find a decent PTA. I'm with bchris...I think you're getting ahead of yourself here. Let's face it, if you're not making public displays of affection, who is going to figure it out, and do you care if they do? And as you well know, an over the top public display of affection will get people looking and talking about you in the South, gay, straight, or otherwise.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:30 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Mama said don't borrow trouble, cbergnon...and I think that's a little of what's going on here. You're worrying about something that may not even be a problem for you. Looks? Yes. Most likely, and you would probably get looks in even some of the larger cities anywhere in the south. Talk? Maybe. Most likely, but not to your face unless you walk out into the street with a sandwich board on saying The Two Mommies Are Here. If your concern is your child entering public schools, THAT should be your concern. The public schools in Little Rock are nothing to write home about...I wouldn't worry about what the PTA thinks, just whether you can find a decent PTA. I'm with bchris...I think you're getting ahead of yourself here. Let's face it, if you're not making public displays of affection, who is going to figure it out, and do you care if they do? And as you well know, an over the top public display of affection will get people looking and talking about you in the South, gay, straight, or otherwise.
True, the LR public school system has a bad reputation, although there are some very good schools within the district. Most people who get jobs in LR move to one of the smaller towns surrounding LR because of the better schools, but I would NOT suggest doing that being as you are homosexual. Maybe you should look into private school?

Old 02-12-2008, 04:09 PM

3 posts, read 13,689 times
Default thanks

chris and I are excited about moving to little rock. could someone talk about the schools. i will be working in secondary special education, please relay some info. then, if you could relay some info about elementary schools. i would prefer parents/educators perspective, please .... thanks and heres to meeting some of you one day....

Old 02-13-2008, 01:59 PM

LRSD secondary education? I won't make any comments, I'm not a parent or educator...well, I was a parent way back in the day...and I pray things have done an upturn since then. There's a whole lot of info if you use the search feature at the top of the page on Little Rock schools...but maybe some parents with kids currently enrolled in the public schools will weigh in, and those who don't have their kids there and why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area