Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 04:39 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Everyone I knew when I lived there liked Bill. Hillary not so much.
Maybe because Hillary was from Illinois where Bill was a native
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 11:34 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
In Little Rock, the Clinton's are liked and admired. In the rest of the state, not so much. Little Rock is a surprisingly progressive city. Of course my experience in Little Rock was last decade (I lived there in 2008 and 2009) and the state is trending more red so I am not sure if opinion on the Clintons has soured even in Little Rock. Back then though, they were still pretty well liked. Get out of Pulaski County though and they were hated.
That's a gross generalization. The Clintons have many admirers all over the state. But many people are apolitical and simply don't care.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:57 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,915,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
You were a small child when Bill Clinton was governor and Hillary Clinton was the First Lady of Arkansas, then.

Are you sure your memory and impression of her character at that time is accurate and yours alone?

Yes my mad, my grandmother teached at the HS high school, from story i was handed down they once live across the street from them when they lived in hope. ( my father side). My mother side all went to HS high, and i have to find his year book that my grandmother got with him.

I met them when we went through the capitol during my JR high school year, 97. From just having a non-politic conversation he had with us during a lunch, he came off as nice going person. Hillary just sit on the other side and was just poping off smart remarks on things that had nothing to do with the conversation. Their daughter and i was born same year and date, just i was across the ocean in another country at the time. in 1980. she is very smart young lady, if i remember correctly, she was able to skip the 3rd grade due to her academics achievements.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
I thought the Clinton Presidential Library's rather boxy architecture was partly inspired by the old railroad bridge that crosses the Arkansas River at that point. It is supposed to represent a bridge to the future, a phrase often used by Bill Clinton on his campaigns.

The old Choctaw Train Station is still there and has been restored as part of the library complex. It's nice to be able to walk out above the river from the library proper.

I remember riding the train across that old bridge and into that little station with my mother, just before Christmas when I was a child ( we spent the night in LR, with my aunt and uncle, then took the bus to Conway to stay with my grandparents the next morning).

We usually came into Union Station, which was and is much larger, but the Memphis connection was better via the smaller station. It was a cold, rainy night - and the shabby old passenger car leaked onto our seat. It must have been full, as we didn't move to a dry seat.

Anyone remember what line it was?

Later: it was the Rock Island Line, I learned with a little research.
Its a trailer, and many many visitors think the same.

Clinton Library

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser..._Arkansas.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/arkan...n-library.html

Old 05-04-2018, 01:08 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
And many visitors don't.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:37 PM

83 posts, read 174,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And many visitors don't.
Agreed...if all you see is a "trailer," that's more a commentary on your background than the architecture. Get out and see the world people.

Old 05-04-2018, 02:58 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Maybe because Hillary was from Illinois where Bill was a native
Not really. It was her attitude the folks didn't like.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335i View Post
Agreed...if all you see is a "trailer," that's more a commentary on your background than the architecture. Get out and see the world people.

Their is nothing Architecture about a building on blocks that essentially looks and acts like a manufacture trailer. Would been lot nicer if it was laid out like a normal building with a river dock or tied to the railroad bridge.

Old 05-04-2018, 04:35 PM

83 posts, read 174,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Their is nothing Architecture about a building on blocks that essentially looks and acts like a manufacture trailer. Would been lot nicer if it was laid out like a normal building with a river dock or tied to the railroad bridge.
Like I said...

Old 05-04-2018, 07:49 PM

160 posts, read 155,600 times
Not being from Arkansas, I didn't know that a library could be a controversial topic. I do remember when it was built, that not everyone was thrilled about the architecture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area